BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ZSCCA Asheville volunteer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My e46 / 2004 330ci trunk lights will only illuminate when I press on either side light assembly. Is that normal? Otherwise it's dark in there at night without a flashlight. I assume the lights get power when the trunk lid is open, but how do I get the lights to come on without touching the assembly? No apparent instructions in the Owner's Manual.

Somewhat unrelated question: should the car's gas pressure lift support units be able to raise the trunk lid? I assume they're the same units that came with the car in 2004. They hold up the lid, but don't appear to help raise it.

I replaced the trunk lift supports in my Z3's trunk lid, after which it would rise with very little help (granted, it is a smaller trunk lid).

Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The interior trunk lights should be held in by just a clip. You squeeze it and the backing comes off. Maybe inside the contact isn’t “springy” enough to make the electric contacts. If the light housing falls off without the clip then it’s probably just not in all the way.

The shocks on the trunk do not raise the trunk lid on its own. It’s just enough to hold the weight of it even when partially open.

My friends Z4 is the same as this too!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,272 Posts
Read the Sticky Threads ! They contain important info, especially for noobs....

In particular, read the one titled PSA: Check your trunk wiring harness

1 - 3 of 3 Posts