BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all!! I selected "ALL BMWs" as I didn't have E53 as an option in the Prefix... Hope this is okay!!!

The story: I got my 2004 4.4L X5 sport needing an engine... I rebuilt it... Air suspension didn't work, so I swapped over to coil springs... Error message on display was annoying... Fixed that with help!!

I had a faulty Bosch valve body module in the ZF 6HP26 transmission... Bought a 2006 X5 transmission... BUT I didn't realize it was from a NON-SPORT version X5... So, now I have a trans failsafe because the X5 doesn't see a SPORT version valve body module... I have checked both modules... They are the same part number... The chip part number is even the same... Obviously the serial numbers are different as are the production dates...

I have searched for days on all the forums concerning the E53 and have gotten a lot of help from the experts that dedicate their valuable time to assist those of us that are new to this coding... I have the INPA and NCS Expert working... Thank you SHAWN!!! I turned off my DRL's and got rid of my RIDE SUSPENSION FAULT message on the instrument cluster (by accident; I found the display option AIR SUSPENSION for the message in the LCM; toggled to NOT ACTIVE and no more message without doing anything else)... But I am not able to locate the specific answers to my new concerns... I want to verify I'm doing this correctly so I don't make the X5 worse...

Having stated all that, my questions are.......

Do I need to put my old valve body module back in the vehicle to get the info from it and saved on my computer to program the new module?

Is there a SPORT setting in the coding (using NCS Expert) that is now NOT ACTIVE with the new trans module, and coding that to ACTIVE will correct this issue?

Do I have to "CODE" the module or just "UPDATE" it with WinKFP? Do I need to get correct information from the old module first?

Essentially, What coding or programming is required when a transmission is replaced, using what software?

Thanks so much!!

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Good day all!!

Well, I buggered it up! I didn't have a VIN for the transmission in either INPA or WinKFP... I had an assy number that didn't match the two possible options... I read UIF and it gave me the correct assy number on the report as compared to INPA... There was a button to update Assy line number to updated number... Figured I would try that... Then I coded the trans with the new number... It didn't work, so don't do that... I tried coding twice which now gives me 11 more tries to get it right... If I can correct the problem!! The real huge issue here is that it not only messed up my transmission program, but didn't fix my EGS issue (which is the module connected to the valve body in the transmission... It still has a non-sport code and the donor vehicle VIN stored... I've gone back a ton of steps which is so frustrating because I want to drive the X!!!! I'll do more research and keep you all up to date.......

Cheers!!!

So, after some research, I think I will try to NCS Expert code the trans module tomorrow... I read some modules might need coding after programming... anyone have some insight on what I might need to do, please let me know!!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good day all!!

Okay, so I am back to where I was... Just the EGS module not coded correctly with the proper VIN and Sport mode active... Still have trans failsafe, but no more christmas tree lights on the dash after programming the VGSG83 with WinFSK... The 4x4, ABS, BRAKE lights were all on after my program of the TCM...

I went into NCS Expert and coded with no changes the DXC module... The lights went out and stayed out... Now on to the next issue... Fixing the VIN for my EGS module... Which is kind of an issue because I don't have an "EGS" option in WinKFS... Not that one I can decipher anyway!!

Cheers all!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good day all!!

Well, I am not sure what I need now... I know most of yous have newer cars, but is there anyone out there that can help me with this new issue? I'm going to try a few thing tomorrow... I have another cable that I haven't soldered the pins (7&8) yet... It is a "K-D/CAN" cable... I figured both of my cables were... But...

So, I reversed the process of what I was trying to figure out... I needed to find the correct module to program to get the EGS to work... I've been doing a lot of research on this and I've been seeing a lot of confusion with TCM and EGS... The TCM is the VGSG module in INPA that programs the transmission computer mounted by the engine computer (in that box)... The EGS is the computer chip associated with the "Mechatronic" mounted on the valvebody of the trans... I'm positive of this because I coded the "VGSG83" twice and my VIN got updated in that module (TWICE)... The EGS I swapped in from a 2006 (non-sport; my issue completely) still has the other vehicle VIN read by INPA... HOWEVER, while I can read and control the EGS and valve body solenoids using INPA, I can NOT program it using WinKFS... It won't recognize it... I did figure out that the module that controls that chip (as far as I know) is the GKE194... I am NOT positive this is correct, but when I manually inputted the Assembly identification number in WinKFS, it pulled up that module in my assembly line data for the E53...

Any thoughts?? Need ICOM instead of OBD/USB cable? I am so close to using this, but just not enough!! I have even considered getting ANOTHER trans that has the sport mode so I won't have to worry about programming it... OR even better, finding out all I need to do is change one coding line in NCS Expert to change the module to SPORT mode and I'm done!!

I'll keep everyone posted as I would hope to think this might help someone with my similar problem at some point... Photobucket is down, so no pictures yet...

Cheers!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good day all!!

Well, not much activity on here with my issue... So, in the event someone else is looking at getting this done, I'm going to share my experience wtih the research I have done... My original EGS failsafe is not consistant like I had figured... It is not completely dependent on temperature... So, I have to program the used one I got from the 2006 transmission... I found this great info just recently...

Automatic Transmission (August 2007)
Technical Service Bulletin

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B24 01 06 dated November 2006.
[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
E53 X5 N62 - Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL
X5 4.4i/4.8is with 6HP26 from 10/03 up to 08/05

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

- An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or
- Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full stop, or from a "rolling stop" (vehicle did not come to a complete stop first before accelerating).

CAUSE
EGS software outdated/damaged.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram transmission control module (EGS) with SSS Progman loaded with on-line update Progman V20.01.00, or higher.

After programming is successfully completed, the following EGS part numbers should be displayed in the module identification page:
[NEW] X5 4.4i
EGS programmed number 7 564 917,
EGS basic number 7 557 063.

[NEW] X5 4.8is
EGS programmed number 7 564 921,
EGS basic number 7 557 063

PROCEDURE
Important:
Prior to EGS module reprogramming, transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and transmission shifter be must be placed in a P position.

To reprogram the EGS transmission control module:
1. Connect the vehicle to a BMW approved battery charger.
2. Connect SSS loaded with CIP 20.01.00 (on-line update), or higher.
3. Select: X line of vehicles, and then E53.
4. Question: Were any control modules replaced? is displayed. Select: No.
5. From the right-hand column select: EGS, then Programming, then Update software.
6. After few minutes, the measure plan is going to be displayed. Select Accept, and then Start.
7. Follow screen instructions.
8. Now update DSC module too same way as EGS module.
9. Steering Wheel angle sensor will need calibration too after DSC software updated (or reloaded).

So, my new question is if I need to use the Progman SSS software or if I can use the ICOM A2 alone with ISTA-P on my own laptop?

Cheers all!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts