BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear friends,
First of all, I am so new with this group, and English is not my native language, so sorry in advance for any mistake. (BTW I checked all threads, before a new thread, but no answer)

I have just bought an E53 X5 3.0d (120k miles).

Everything (comfort, performance etc.) seems/sounds perfect when driving, except one problem as I explained below:

Humming / Buzzing noise coming from front side of the car, while rpm clock is @1700-1900rpm. Below/above thoe rpms', noise completely goes, sound is just perfect 3.0d engine. Also, when this strange noise begins, very very low vibration at steering wheel (like engine is chocking, but for sure not that dramatic) starts at the same time.

Note: This happens only when car is at D position, no problem when it is at P position.

Any help will be greatly appretiated, Thanks in advance to share your experiences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it happen during acceleration, or anytime you are sitting at the same revs? Need a bit more information.
Thank you for answer..

Yes the noise is anytime I am sitting at the same rpm (1700-1900rpm)..
For exapmle, if I stay at 1800rpm for a while, the noise is constant..

·
2004 E53 diesel
62 Posts
Have you tried revving it while vehicle is stationary and have someone listen at the front. It may be the heat shield over the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried revving it while vehicle is stationary and have someone listen at the front. It may be the heat shield over the exhaust manifold.
Yes I tried it.. At "P" position, I go from 1000rpm to 4000rpm, and engine sound perfect.. By the way, if it was heat shield over exhaust manifold, I expect sound to be more metallic right? When driving, the noise at 1700-1900rpm is not metallic, but humming noise.. Somebody said, it might be failed power steering pump, but I couldnt make any relation between PS pump and rpm dependent noise??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also one more important thing I noticed: when I accelerate up from 1500rpm to 2500rpm, I hear the sound (between 1700-1900, after 1900rpm it suddenly diseppear).. Bu when I release foot throttle at 2500rpm and rpm goes down, no noise between 1700-1900rpm..

I also tried to fix rpm at 1800rpm (driving straight with cruise control, stable speed), the noise is there and just a stationary humming noise with very low vibration at steering wheel..

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buzzing at 1700-1900 RPM

Hello itscan,

I am facing the same issue. was searching some posts but couldnt get any answers so thot to ask you to share if you got any solutions on it.

Thanks in Advance:thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also one more important thing I noticed: when I accelerate up from 1500rpm to 2500rpm, I hear the sound (between 1700-1900, after 1900rpm it suddenly diseppear).. Bu when I release foot throttle at 2500rpm and rpm goes down, no noise between 1700-1900rpm..

I also tried to fix rpm at 1800rpm (driving straight with cruise control, stable speed), the noise is there and just a stationary humming noise with very low vibration at steering wheel..

Thanks
Hello itscan,

I am facing the same issue. was searching some posts but couldnt get any answers so thot to ask you to share if you got any solutions on it.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am facing the same issues too. I my case it seems to be electrical noise/whine coming through the speakers, but I really haven't done anything recently with the speakers. Is this true for you too?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am facing the same issues too. I my case it seems to be electrical noise/whine coming through the speakers, but I really haven't done anything recently with the speakers. Is this true for you too?
No for me its not the speakers. Its certainly some thing from the engine or the transmission. This buzzing sound is with a light vibration from engine when increasing acceleration.

hope itscan would have certainly got some solution on this and it would be great if reply

1 - 10 of 10 Posts