BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 BMW 525i 6AT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all so I was recently thinking on What if I decided to swap my current 07 525i for a newer 2010 535i (I love the E60 body style man) is there a major maintenance change between the N52 and N54?reliability wise what’s the best out the two? And lastly as a relativity new BMW owner (came from a 97 Tbird V8) is it worth the swap?? Thanks !

·
Premium Member
2001 325i 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
928 Posts
Whoops, I originally thought you were talking about the engine swap, not the whole car.

The N54 is quite reliable in my opinion but the turbos have notorious wastegate issues, fuel injectors often need to be upgraded to index 12, high pressure fuel pump. The N52 is probably more reliable, certainly is more simple without the turbos. What's the price difference? The N54 sure is a power unit and the facelift E60s are a bit nicer in my opinion. Are you just wanting more power or something? You could upgrade your CCC to CIC and/or do an MMI box to get CarPlay/Android Auto and it will make your car feel much more modern.

Reactions: 1E60Beemer

·
Registered
2007 BMW 525i 6AT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoops, I originally thought you were talking about the engine swap, not the whole car.

The N54 is quite reliable in my opinion but the turbos have notorious wastegate issues, fuel injectors often need to be upgraded to index 12, high pressure fuel pump. The N52 is probably more reliable, certainly is more simple without the turbos. What's the price difference? The N54 sure is a power unit and the facelift E60s are a bit nicer in my opinion. Are you just wanting more power or something? You could upgrade your CCC to CIC and/or do an MMI box to get CarPlay/Android Auto and it will make your car feel much more modern.
Yeah I wanted something a tad bit faster lol I love my 525i no doubt but my dad had a newer 2012 528i and I didn’t realize you feel the turbo on that thing alot once you are at speed, off topic lol but I figured going for the 535i would be a way to go since mods on the N52 deletes is real purpose

·
Registered
731 Posts
The 535 with N54 is a very fast car. There is no turbo lag. Ours is a bit slower than some because of the x-drive but I love the added stability. Drive the 535, I bet it's faster than Dad's.

Reactions: 1E60Beemer

·
Registered
2007 BMW 525i 6AT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 535 with N54 is a very fast car. There is no turbo lag. Ours is a bit slower than some because of the x-drive but I love the added stability. Drive the 535, I bet it's faster than Dad's.
Yeah I really would like to, maybe this summer I can opt for one , age never phases me for a car it’s what’s under the hood 😎👉🏾. Even the 25i isn’t too shabby for the base. Been driving NA cars mostly, could use a boost

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,666 Posts
IMO, leave your car alone. You don't need and don't want a "tune". You have an older German car. It will need maintenance from time to time. Don't mess it up trying to "tune" it. Also, the 3 stage intake isn't just bolting on something. There are more things wired up and I would guess the DME (car computer) has to be reprogrammed or something to know. Just leave the car stock and be happy with it and save you money for things that break.

·
2008 535xi wagon
3,227 Posts
As the only one here to trade a 530 for a 535.
The N52 is way less of a headache. Easier to work on, port injection means no valve cleaning or issues with direct injection. Don't bother tuning, there's little to be had in terms of extra power.
The N54 is fast. Tesla fast if you want to pay to play. Many high ticket items on the N54 and in general more things to go wrong.

The biggest factor, though, is going to be the condition of both cars. I would trade for a well kept 535 with index 12 injectors and replaced turbos. I wouldn't trade for a cheap 535 if my 525 was in good working order and continues to be reliable.

·
Registered
2007 BMW 525i 6AT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO, leave your car alone. You don't need and don't want a "tune". You have an older German car. It will need maintenance from time to time. Don't mess it up trying to "tune" it. Also, the 3 stage intake isn't just bolting on something. There are more things wired up and I would guess the DME (car computer) has to be reprogrammed or something to know. Just leave the car stock and be happy with it and save you money for things that break.
Yeah I honestly thought about it more and not sure how I feel getting a USED important engine part Gotta make sure it works and all that. Would rather save and just get the one I want as well 535i, M6 E63, or even apline B7 if I can find one 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
420 Posts
if you want more power with more reliability look for a 2005+ v8 Cadillac STS, that's raw 300hp from the Northstar engine! they are relatively cheap and less of a maintenance headache since the electronics are more reliable (and simple) than BMW. I got one and prefer to drive it than my BMWs.

for the naysayers, here's the thread for the 3 stage intake upgrade.

·
Registered
2007 BMW 525i 6AT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you want more power with more reliability look for a 2005+ v8 Cadillac STS, that's raw 300hp from the Northstar engine! they are relatively cheap and less of a maintenance headache since the electronics are more reliable (and simple) than BMW. I got one and prefer to drive it than my BMWs.
I’ve heard those engines have a great reputation! STS looks pretty cool IMO when I see them. I always thought caddy’s would be expensive to maintain lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.