BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
I recently replaced the starter on my 2005 E60 530I, after reassembling the manifold and getting everything back in order I attempted to start the car the starter is now trying to crank but the car still wont not turn over and start. The car is now showing messages for the cruise control and a warning of engine malfunction reduced speed. Clearly reducing speed is not an issue seeing as it wont start… :tsk:

The fuel rail has pressure and I can hear the now loud fuel pump on occasion it makes a rather odd noise randomly with I think the relay, almost as if it is getting power then dropping power, it does this a few times before the sound stops I have tested the IBS and it still wont start. I have changed the battery in hopes the picky electronics were just freaking out over low voltage but nothing, I have tested everything I can think of to no avail and am at a loss. :bawling:

Any suggestions of what to do next, I have only had the car for about a month, wasn't looking to have so many issues so soon after I got it it ran so great till this and I really do love the car:dunno:…

Attachments

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,168 Posts
....... I attempted to start the car the starter is now trying to crank but the car still wont not turn over and start…
Your description is confusing...title says cranks but text says won't turnover. What does "won't turn" over mean? Is crankshaft making revolutions when starter is engaged?

If crankshaft is not making revolutions, put a socket on bolt thru front crankshaft pulley and turn clockwise looking towards back of car. Can you rotate engine?

If crankshaft does turn with starter check for a spark.
If spark is present, remove beauty cover and disconnect eccentric shaft sensor. Try to start.

Is fuel pressure over 50psi?

Get codes read with BMW specific code reader. Valvetronic motor may have failed.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...osition_Sensor_Replacing/images_med/pic07.jpg

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The crankshaft sensor is back near the starter - any chance it got unplugged or damaged while you were in there? No crankshaft sensor signal will prevent starting...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The crankshaft sensor is back near the starter - any chance it got unplugged or damaged while you were in there? No crankshaft sensor signal will prevent starting...
I checked the crank sensor it was not unplugged or anything but i will try and pull the sensor and see if it operating properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your description is confusing...title says cranks but text says won't turnover. What does "won't turn" over mean? Is crankshaft making revolutions when starter is engaged?

If crankshaft is not making revolutions, put a socket on bolt thru front crankshaft pulley and turn clockwise looking towards back of car. Can you rotate engine?

If crankshaft does turn with starter check for a spark.
If spark is present, remove beauty cover and disconnect eccentric shaft sensor. Try to start.

Is fuel pressure over 50psi?

Get codes read with BMW specific code reader. Valvetronic motor may have failed.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...osition_Sensor_Replacing/images_med/pic07.jpg
Sorry for the confusion, the starter will crank but the car wont start. i will try what you suggest with the crank pulley i'll also try the eccentric shaft sensor and i'll get back to you on what that does. The fuel rail is between 47 and 50 psi.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
2005 was a transition year for M54s/N52s. M54s do not have an eccentric shaft sensor.

Check your build date before chasing the eccentric shaft sensor as the culprit. Only Jan/Mid February builds had M54s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2005 was a transition year for M54s/N52s. M54s do not have an eccentric shaft sensor.

Check your build date before chasing the eccentric shaft sensor as the culprit. Only Jan/Mid February builds had M54s.
It has the m54 not the n52

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know OP in person this may help clarify his problem

His car sat for 3 days, then didn't start. No crank or clicking. iDrive said battery low voltage.
Replaced old (original?) battery, install new battery but was not coded, still same symptoms.
Car still didn't start with new battery or jump,
Disconnect IBS for test if bad, still wont crank. (should at least crank disconnected?)
Replace starter with rebuilt Bosh, original Denso
Now it will crank/turnover but not start. (still 'new' battery)
This is where error codes start popping up,
Replace 'new' battery with old, still good, battery, and ensure coding is correct for it. Same symptoms.

Various codes, phantom and MIL come and go at this point, but there are 3 codes that are persistent in INPA

Pedal input sensor 2 / Accelerator pedal module, pedal sensor signal 2 / Pedal
sensor Poti2
Code: 0027F8
:Lambda probe heating system diagnostics Vcat Bank 2 / Mixture adaptation /
Misfiring cylinder 1 at operating temperature / Pedalwertgeber2 duration
Code: 002741
:Temperature Outside / Battery Sensor: Signal / Controller, internal error / Intelligent
battery system IBS / outside temperature sensor signal
Code: 00299B

We will test the crank position sensor next.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,168 Posts
I didn't realize '05 still used the M54. M54 = vacuum leaks. Major vacuum leaks cause intake air to bypass the MAF. DME won't inject enough fuel and engine won't start. Check that CVV hoses are intact and fully seated. CVV drain hose to dipstick tube often rots and causes vacuum leaks. R&R the intake will disturb the CVV connections. I'd pull a plug and check for fuel and test for spark. A simple test for large vacuum leaks is to disconnect MAF and try to start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't realize '05 still used the M54. M54 = vacuum leaks. Major vacuum leaks cause intake air to bypass the MAF. DME won't inject enough fuel and engine won't start. Check that CVV hoses are intact and fully seated. CVV drain hose to dipstick tube often rots and causes vacuum leaks. R&R the intake will disturb the CVV connections. I'd pull a plug and check for fuel and test for spark. A simple test for large vacuum leaks is to disconnect MAF and try to start.
We just replaced the cvv about 2 weeks ago, because it had an issue and that seemed to fit all the symptoms and fix the issue. All the hoses are in good condition and making a good seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts