BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out. I recently bought a 2010 535i m-sport, that's lowered. The thing sits very low. The previous owner said one of the reasons he sold it was because he got tired of ripping off the front bumper. It was rigged on and damaged underneath when I got it. Anyways, the other night I wasn't really paying attention enough and ran up on a parking bump at a store and the bumper got caught on it. I also heard something else hit slightly. I backed up, partially ripping off the bumper. I got out to check it out, and saw a little fluid leaking on the pavement. I immediately went home and lifted the hood and opened the coolant cap. Soon as I did, pretty much all the coolant spilled out on the ground. I checked the coolant tank and it looked fine to me. No check engine light or warning has come on. Any idea what's damaged? Is it a radiator hose or hose hooked to the tank? IDK. This is really the first car I bought.... Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
that's unfortunate. Could be a radiator hose. The water pump/thermostats also are pretty low on these engines. Who can say for sure until you look under the car and I imagine it will be pretty obvious where it is coming from. I wouldn't advise driving it until you get it fixed it's lucky it made it home.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
You opened the coolant reservoir on a hot engine when you got home? If so, don’t do that. Wait til it cools. That could have been a very bad burn experience for you. Look low on the front. Bottom of the radiator area for the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's unfortunate. Could be a radiator hose. The water pump/thermostats also are pretty low on these engines. Who can say for sure until you look under the car and I imagine it will be pretty obvious where it is coming from. I wouldn't advise driving it until you get it fixed it's lucky it made it home.
-Thx for the reply.- -if it was the water pump or the thermostat, wouldn't I get a code/warning or engine light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You opened the coolant reservoir on a hot engine when you got home? If so, don’t do that. Wait til it cools. That could have been a very bad burn experience for you. Look low on the front. Bottom of the radiator area for the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Thx for the reply. It really wasn't hot, not boiling over or even steaming really. There was just a slight pressure and my coolant ran all out. Just adding that, you're right though I should be more careful. So I can just pour water in and look for the leak right?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Thx for the reply. It really wasn't hot, not boiling over or even steaming really. There was just a slight pressure and my coolant ran all out. Just adding that, you're right though I should be more careful. So I can just pour water in and look for the leak right?
You may find that leak after it simply sitting overnight. An auto parts store like Advance Auto will “sell” you a loaner pressure tester for your coolant system. When you return it you are refunded that purchase price. I did that once and had 45 days to use it. It’s super easy to use and you will find any and all coolant leaks with it. You can run with water (distilled is recommended) but it has a lower boiling point than coolant so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may find that leak after it simply sitting overnight. An auto parts store like Advance Auto will “sell” you a loaner pressure tester for your coolant system. When you return it you are refunded that purchase price. I did that once and had 45 days to use it. It’s super easy to use and you will find any and all coolant leaks with it. You can run with water (distilled is recommended) but it has a lower boiling point than coolant so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Thats a really good idea. Thanks so much for you help. Appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can use distilled water for troubleshooting purposes if it's not below freezing in your region. then do a coolant flush with antifreeze after you fix it.
One more question. I just realized something from what you said. I just checked and it's like 31 degrees or so outside. Do you think everything will be alright with the car outside covered? Its got virtually no coolant left in it. I don't have a garage, and its gonna get down to about 30 in the next day or two, then warm up from there...

·
Wingnut
4,413 Posts
low coolant when it hits freezing wont hurt anything unless you have added plain water to the cooling system. as long as whatever amount remains is coolant/water mix youre ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts