BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, on my E60 I am experiencing a tremendous amount of interior noice/creaking etc. At first I thought it was the windows not fitting 100% with the rubber, but now I am not sure. Its not a rattle noise...the car is very tight tight...its more like multiple creeping noises if that makes sense.

I am somewhat concerned about this. THe car only has 16k miles on it. One of my friends tried to tell me its related to the performance package and suspension being so tight. Not sure if I buy that.

Any other similiar experiences out there?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Noisey door seals are very common--I had mine replaced after about a year--see attached SIB:

SI B 51 02 05
Body Equipment June 2005
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Squeaking Noise from Door Frame Area While Driving

MODEL
E60 (5 Series) produced up to 01/2005

SITUATION
Some customers may complain that they hear squeaking noises coming from the doorframe area while driving.

CAUSE
S5104U31

The movement between the mating surface of the flock covered door seal (felt-like material indicated by the arrows) and the surrounding roof panel produces a squeaking noise.
CORRECTION
In case of a customer complaint, replace all 4 door seals with the improved door seals.

PROCEDURE
Flocking material of the door seal has been improved. Install these improved door seals on all 4 doors of the vehicle.

S5105U23

Improved door seals can be recognized by the words "EPDM+Polyesterflock" (1) and a yellow dot (2) located on the bottom of the seal.
Notes:

1. Do not use "Carbaflo" on improved door seals.

2. The yellow dot is only a temporary indication during stock transition. This yellow dot will not be applied in future production of door seals.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
51 21 7 057 507
Left front door seal
51 21 7 057 508
Right front door seal
51 22 7 057 509
Left rear door seal
51 22 7 057 510
Right rear door seal

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stream said:
Noisey door seals are very common--I had mine replaced after about a year--see attached SIB:

SI B 51 02 05
Body Equipment June 2005
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Squeaking Noise from Door Frame Area While Driving

MODEL
E60 (5 Series) produced up to 01/2005

SITUATION
Some customers may complain that they hear squeaking noises coming from the doorframe area while driving.

CAUSE
S5104U31

The movement between the mating surface of the flock covered door seal (felt-like material indicated by the arrows) and the surrounding roof panel produces a squeaking noise.
CORRECTION
In case of a customer complaint, replace all 4 door seals with the improved door seals.

PROCEDURE
Flocking material of the door seal has been improved. Install these improved door seals on all 4 doors of the vehicle.

S5105U23

Improved door seals can be recognized by the words "EPDM+Polyesterflock" (1) and a yellow dot (2) located on the bottom of the seal.
Notes:

1. Do not use "Carbaflo" on improved door seals.

2. The yellow dot is only a temporary indication during stock transition. This yellow dot will not be applied in future production of door seals.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
51 21 7 057 507
Left front door seal
51 21 7 057 508
Right front door seal
51 22 7 057 509
Left rear door seal
51 22 7 057 510
Right rear door seal
Hey Stream, thanks for the message back. Good to know this is a documented problem. Hopefully I will not have any issue with getting BMW to fix this.

The pictures of your car are great. I need to upload some of mine. I am new to the site. My BMW looks very similiar, except for the smaller engine. What are the PIAA 4150k fogs?

Do you also have the stock run flat tires on your car? I can't tell by the pictures. I am really considering replacing mine with performance oriented regular all season tires if that is even possible. I live in DC and the road are bad in some areas. I can do without a little performance for a smoother ride at this point.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
WDC530 said:
Hey Stream, thanks for the message back. Good to know this is a documented problem. Hopefully I will not have any issue with getting BMW to fix this.

The pictures of your car are great. I need to upload some of mine. I am new to the site. My BMW looks very similiar, except for the smaller engine. What are the PIAA 4150k fogs?

Do you also have the stock run flat tires on your car? I can't tell by the pictures. I am really considering replacing mine with performance oriented regular all season tires if that is even possible. I live in DC and the road are bad in some areas. I can do without a little performance for a smoother ride at this point.

Thanks again.
The door seal issue is well known--print the SIB and take it to the dealer.

The PIAA 4150K fog bulbs replace the OEM fogs, which are yellowish and don't match the xenons (which are 4200K). Very easy to replace.

I have the stock Dunlop runflats and have had no problems with them after 1.5 years. Once they wear out, I'll consider replacing them with Michelin PS2s, which I've had on other cars and liked a lot. Contrary to what some say, you can put non-run flats on the BMW wheels that come with run flats installed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
thanx...

hey guys
thanx for this post , i was experiencing it but to me it was a hard question to ask or mention , i was clue less about squeak ,
thanx ya all ,
i hv printed sib and wud take it to bmw dealer:)
ps: is there a post of all issued sib's or known issues on this site?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
:rofl: BMW had the door seal issue back in the 90's. you would think they would have it right by now.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
sak said:
hey guys
thanx for this post , i was experiencing it but to me it was a hard question to ask or mention , i was clue less about squeak ,
thanx ya all ,
i hv printed sib and wud take it to bmw dealer:)
ps: is there a post of all issued sib's or known issues on this site?
I don't think so, but I found a bunch here:
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/BMW/index-issue.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had mine done last week and it took care of all the creepy noises I had. I knew it was the windows because I would release them ever so slightly from the full-up position (not enough to hear wind noise) and it would go away. Nalley BMW did it with no questions asked.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In the meantime, I was told if you wipe down the door edges and the door jams with you bear hands repeatedly, it cleans the area and makes the sound go away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts