Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're like me and accidentally reset your brake pad sensors before you actually changed them, you likely see ----- or -15000km on your dashboard when you tried again to reset.

I was resetting my spark plugs interval and accidently reset the brake pad sensors at the same time. Now I am stuck with a Red light and a "replace brake pads" error no matter how many times I try to reset it through the hidden menu. FYI: The pads and sensors were recently replaced (had 90% remaining on the pads when I accidentally reset it). The sensors are not worn and intact also.

I have purchased an OBD and installed all the software. INPA, TIS, Tool32, Diaghead all work and communicate with the car fine. I got past the hurdle of installing it all, it's working - I just don't know how to use any of it! Help!

I found the following instructions in a google search:

Put your key into the ignition and press the Start button to turn on the car (press twice I believe). Do NOT start the car though (do not touch the brake pedal when you press the Start button).

Plug your OBDII cable into your laptop and car.

Open up Tool32.exe (in the C:\EDIABAS\BIN folder).
Open File (or just press F3) 'DSC_87.PRG' (in the ECU folder).
In the left Column, under Jobs, choose CBS_RESET.

To reset Front brake pad sensors, under center column (Arguments), type:
Br_v;100;31;255;255;8000h;Fh;FFh;FFh;00h
Click Jobs menu and select Start Job Once Only (or just press F5)

To reset Rear brake pad sensors, under center column (Arguments), type:
Br_h;100;31;255;255;8000h;Fh;FFh;FFh;00h
Click Jobs menu and select Start Job Once Only (or just press F5)

Turn off the car
Disconnect the OBDII cable
Put the key back in your pocket
Start the car (press brake and push start)

If your problem was the same as mine, it should now be fixed.
Front brakes should read 25,000 miles
Rear brakes should read 31,000 miles

However I get the following result:

apiJob("DSC_87","cbs_reset","Br_h;100;31;255;255;8 000h;Fh;FFh;FFh;00h","")

Satz : 0
OBJECT = dsc_87
SAETZE = 1
JOBNAME = cbs_reset
VARIANTE = DSC_87
JOBSTATUS =
UBATTCURRENT = 1
UBATTHISTORY = 1
IGNITIONCURRENT = 1
IGNITIONHISTORY = 1
Satz : 1
JOB_STATUS = ERROR_ECU_SUBFUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED__INVALID_FORMA T
_TEL_AUFTRAG = 18 Bytes
000 : 8F 29 F1 2E 10 01 01 06 64 1F 1F 40 00 00 FF FF �)ñ..... [email protected]ÿÿ
010 : 00 00 ..
_TEL_ANTWORT = 7 Bytes
000 : 83 F1 29 7F 2E 12 5C Ė)..\

The brake pad sensor error light and message still appear. They won't reset.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have spent two days on this, I really appreciate any assistance or direction please! (I have teamviewer if anyone would like to remote connect while connected to the car). Thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
I made this mistake yesterday as well (attempting to reset brake pad mileage) and would really like some help in correcting it. I have not purchased any of the OBD cables or software but If someone can confirm that its necessary I will.

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
44 Posts
Count me in on this one too. I also made the mistake of resetting the brake pads before they were needed and am now getting the notice every time I start the car to change my brake pads. How do we fix this? Any help will be appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem (-15000kn) when I inadvertently tried to reset it instead of the oil and have finally solved it. First thing is to do is ensure there is continuity across the sensor with an ohm meter or test bulb and battery. My sensor was visibly worn through (you could see the two copper wires on the sensing surface). I shorted out my sensor by joining the two wires together and refitted it.
It would not reset using the odometer button holding down method
It would not reset by quickly turning off the ignition when --- is displayed following using the odometer button method
I checked for a fault using my OBD tool and erased the message. (I then turned the power off and on again and it would not reset)
So I erased the message again using my OBD tool and without turning the power off proceeded to reset the service light using the odometer button and this time it worked

·
Registered
643 Posts
And here was me thinking, I was the only one making this mistake the other day, LOL.......

WAS gonna fix it at the same time when I put my winter wheels on as what I found with Google was to disconnect the FRONT wheel sensor and reconnect it again and then do the cluster button reset as normal and it should work. (Making the computer think you replaced the sensor)!

Reactions: soupy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hmmm. I recently had a break pad wear sensor light come on and it turned it was just a bad sensor. I replaced the sensor but could not reset the warning light through my Foxwell. The reset had to be done through the I Drive of the car.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So, having made the same mistake by pressing the odometer for the wrong symbol, and having tried every different version numerous times now I have found on line at various sites, still am plagued with this most stubborn of cbs faults, even plugging in a new sensor will not help any!
Should mention that my msg has gone from -15000 to -25000, after doing the reset the second time as soon as I realized my mistake it went from -15000 to -25000.

Only thing I haven’t tried is Tool32 and doing the cbs reset, guess that will be my last resort...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts