BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to update the lights on my 2006 530xi.

I've seen two types of angel eye replacements...one is $299, the other is $40. Both look good in the pics, I just don't want to get ripped off (ie pay too much , or buy something useless). Any suggestions? Which make and model is the best?

Any body replace the sidemarkers? I was looking at smoked side markers with the led lights.

Also, I'm not sure if I want to replace the tail lights, or just get them smoked/tinted. I've seen some companies that offer oem fit led taillights, that look cool, but may not be all that good or reliable. Anyone have any experience with these?

I figured, I'd start with the lights, then move down the to the rims and tires after this coming winter. Still haven't thought about that....

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Angel eye: I think you can swap the angel eye bulbs to mtec v2.1. led bulbs ($150 or so? not $299. there are ones for $40 too. search this forum you will find out more info).
Side markers? not sure, doesn't matter to me.
Tails: you mean you want the LCI lights with the light tubes? It is do-able, and it will improve the look. you may want to do some search/research.

Wheels: many here with xi are running on 19" wheels, I believe; offset is key. also with 19", you may want to lower your car afterward, so it is suspension upgrade.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
There are various angel eye options out there from a standard hyperwhite upgrade to LED. I suggest LED for a clean xenon white output. They will vary by price depending on brightness, quality and warranty.

We carry the WeissLicht LED Angel Eyes which are a plug and play error free replacement that changes the color to a xenon white.

We also carry the WeissLicht LED Side Lenses which are a complete housing replacement available in clear or smoked with built in amber or xenon white LEDs.

For the tails, I would keep the factory tails but if you like the smoked look, then you can do the Smoked Lens Film in light or dark smoke that installs over the factory tails.

·
Site Sponsor
5,144 Posts
There is a way to upgrade them to the brightest available - but you have to cut the headlights open.
Orion V2 for that car:

Our ICE V3 unit is $149.99 and it's the brightest of all the plug and play units, though Orion V2 beats it hands down. We don't resell other products, we make our own and provide you with the best warranty support on it (though V3 are literally indestructible.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nick, do you have an LED setup for 2008 and later that won't throw codes? I have tried an LED setup from another vendor and went through 2 sets - both setting off "lamp out" codes.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
Yeah the smoked sidemarkers will blink yellow if you install a yellow colored bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Well actually, the WeissLicht units I linked to above have preinstalled LED bulbs that are available in amber or xenon white.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts