Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! I have a 2010 528i with 95k on it. It was 5 degrees F last week and the car would crank slow and stopped. Battery was discharged to 35% I brought battery to autozone to charge.. battery is a year old. I popped the key in and the radio turns on, the windows work, trunk button but no gauges.. nothing on the steering column works so no wipers no blinkers... nothing.. the wipers go on on their own I until I push the start button but nothing.. I replaced relay in trunk but nothing.. gauges worked until charged the battery. I believe the fuel pump is going but no crank and no gauges. Also I***8217;ve been having issues with the key over the last year with the unlock button mis sending and opening my windows. Also I checked every single fuse. I assume it could be as simple as I mis placed one in the fuse box under the dash since nothing is labeled and there are many open ports. what do I do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you checked the Starter?
No cranking story happened to me too, the problem was of my Starter's Carbon (I guess it's called Carbon) was totally used and worn, So I just replaced the Starter's Carbon. Now the Car Starts immediately as blink!
Example: E60 523i Starter (Link)

·
Registered
367 Posts
With such a new battery was it registered to the system? You sure they charged it properly? What's the output?
Beyond IBS or other issues, maybe it simply has a low state of charge, or maybe you have module(s) that aren't sleeping properly, thus draining the battery a bit more than the charging can make up for.
Water ingress in the spare tire well causing module issues perhaps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Battery is regerstring 13.8.. boot is dry. I***8217;m going to bring it to a mechanic to diagnose it tomorrow.. then fix whatever it is myself! Fuse for gauges looked good but I guess I was wrong because I put a new one in it just to be safe and they work now but still no crank :/ still doesn***8217;t make sense for starter to go when it worked fine the day before.. I***8217;m not sure why battery was discharged but it was pretty cold. Battery was done at the dealer before I bought the car. I***8217;ll post an update on what the mechanic says if he finds anything. Also battery after 3 days still has a 13.8 output which is higher then I normally see on other battery but it means there is no draw I***8217;d assume since 3days later it***8217;s good.. for registering the battery would everything work but not crank? Like the fuel pumps going but no crank...

·
Registered
8 Posts
What I talked about Starter is everything is silent when you push the start engine button plus Brake pedal in both Ignition ON and OFF will nothing happen, so no cranks, you may just hear some silently clicks while doing.
Replacing Carbon's Starter or the Starter itself is easy too.
It's the Story it happened to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay.. I’m comfortable doing the starter myself.. is there anything you think it could be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay.. I'm comfortable doing the starter myself.. is there anything you think it could be?
First things are Battery, Fuel Pump and Starter, after that many other possible things :p
just one thing I forgot to tell of my story, the Engine's belt didn't cycling too when my starter was worn. it was totally silent! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
This Picture below was exactly looks like that I replaced for my E60 Starter, just to be note my Starter was totally fine, just this Carbon like was worn

This Page Link talking about generally car starters, it may include useful information for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts