BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 E61 520d Touring recently with a CCC iDrive, 6 CD slot, a sat nav DVD and the larges screen possible. In the armrest there is a AUX input and a USB input. The car works great, never had an issue with the radio or playing non mp3 cds. Yesterday I tried an USB stick with songs I downloaded from YouTube and converted the .m4a file to a .mp3 file. All the songs are between 152kbps and 192kbps and in no subfolder. I tried it on multiple sticks wile standing still and the screen freezes in the beginning of a new song. The audio keeps playing of the new song until the frozen screen goes black and the iDrive reboots.

I also tried an old self made mp3 cd an 6 disc player doesn't recognize the cd (could be a faulty cd).

Anyone know what's the problem here? I was thinking the car needs an iDrive update but apparently the mp3 update was a standard after 2005.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,202 Posts
I'm not sure that last statement is right.
I remember I had to get my 2006 coded to enable mp3.
Do a search on the Coding sub forum, I'm sure you'll find the answer there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a post from back in 2006;
Since September 2006, in the USA, all BMW's have been able to play MP3 CD's and DVD's. Prior to that, only non-NAV cars have been able to play MP3 CD's as long as they had a fairly recent CIP.
My car is from 2008 so should be able to play mp3's. It actually plays mp3's from the USB stick but not for very long for some reason...

·
Registered
587 Posts
what format is the stick? could there be hidden files on the stick that could be getting in the way. files were added to the stick from a Mac.

G~

·
Registered
183 Posts
How large is the capacity of the USB stick? I'm pretty sure 32MB is the max size that works. I originally tried a 64MB stick with failed results.

Have you tried transferring the music files from I-tunes instead of youtube? It might be the file source?

With my 32MB USB stick formatted to FAT32 I can play all music files transferred from I-tunes, not just MP3. You can organize the files by album or playlists or however you like.

I've got several thousand songs accessible with a twist of the I-drive knob.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How large is the capacity of the USB stick? I'm pretty sure 32MB is the max size that works. I originally tried a 64MB stick with failed results

I've got several thousand songs accessible with a twist of the I-drive knob.
Several thousand songs on 64 MB.. must be really poor bit rate... LOL.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Several thousand songs on 64 MB.. must be really poor bit rate... LOL.
Sorry...should have said 32GB. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I do have 2237 songs on file for a total of 17,300,000,000+ bytes and have used just over half of the capacity of the stick so far.

Thanks for the correction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts