BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2008 535xi Touring 2007 530Xi Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
After finding a low mileage pre-LCI 2007 530xiT with automatic transmission and purchasing it I ran into some worries..
Long story short, after getting the OK from indy mechanic that everything was solid, I pushed the car a little bit to see what the N52 could do compared to the N54 in my '08 535xiT.
On my first big pull onto the highway, in regular drive mode, everything feels solid until I hear the car shift from 4th to 5th gear. It sounded like a high pitch grind underneath the passenger seat, I almost missed it with the radio being on. It was under some pretty significant load so I try to re-create the issue. I then put the car into manual mode and slow down (Freeway is empty) and start accelerate from the middle of second gear. The car shifts smoothly going into third as well as into fourth with load, but when shifting to fifth the car kicks and grinds and doesn't even shift. I then let off the gas and the car finally drops into fifth. I do another pull but this time letting off the gas when shifting from fourth into fifth in manual mode and it seems to drop in fine.

So my first question, which doesn't sound right but figured I would ask.. Am I just being a dummy and am supposed to let off the gas a bit when the car wants to shift? Or does this seem like a failing transmission?

Second question. (Maybe I should make a new thread?) Is there anyone known that swapped in a manual transmission into an N52 E60? If so are there kits available somewhere that provide the majority of whats needed or do I need a parts vehicle to guarantee I have the proper pieces?

Tried doing some searching on some forums but could only find swaps for an N54 motor. I imagine the N54 is somewhat similar but there has to be few key differences. (Right?)

If the transmission is failing I would love to know if it would be a possibility to attach a MT to a factory AT N52. Or if it would be a complete waste of time and money and an awful migraine. I would appreciate some reasoning with your response of, 'Just go find a manual' as the standard transmission tourings are becoming increasingly hard to find with low mileage for a decent price.

Yes I know there are lots of bits that need to be swapped out and added.
Yes I know there is a substantial amount of splicing into the DME and other Modules.
Yes I know there is coding that needs to be performed to change the VO and the car needs to be re-flashed post code.

I understand this is no simple task. I would greatly appreciate any information anyone has on the subject matter. I am not afraid of the time commitment nor the headache, but If I do it, I want to do it right the first time, and not spend 6 months messing with coding or some other issue. Or worse, severely damage the vehicle or make it undriveable.

I will be vastly grateful for any info! Thanks for reading!

· Premium Member
2001 325i 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
1,001 Posts
I imagine the transmission is the same for N52 and N54 but the easiest way to tell is to go to realoem.com and plug in both vehicles and compare part numbers. Clutch, transmission, pedals, etc. I think your cheapest option would be to find a donor car. Also look at E90s on there to see if parts are the same as I imagine there are more of those available.

· Registered
2008 535xi Touring 2007 530Xi Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the automatic the GA6HP19Z was used for the N54 and N52. But according the RealOEM the actual part numbers differ. Standard transmission model numbers are GS6X53DZ and GS6X37BZ for the 535xi and 530xi respectively. My first thought was to use an E90 parts car as well but from what I have read on RealOEM, the part numbers dont match for the differential and the driveshaft design is different. This is using an E90 330xi of the same production month as my vehicle. I double checked with an E91 330xi Touring just to be sure. Apart from this, I think everything else would work from a MT N52 '3er. I guess I will keep researching!

On another note.. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with the transmission?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.