Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking the forums and elsewhere to get some help on an issue with a panoramic roof on an e61 wagon. I've tried the reinitialization and even removed the sunroof motor to manually close and reset the sunroof.
It all started with the roof tilting up and not closing. After I finally got the roof to close with the reinitialization, I thought the roof was fixed and tried fully opening/closing again. I guess I was pushing my luck. After working a couple of times, now the roof won't completely close from the open position(not from tilting up). The front glass will stop about 3-4 inches from the edge but the shade will close completely with the sunroof button. I've tried manually closing but the roof won't tilt UP to completely close. I've tried everything and at a loss here. I've tried re-initializing again with no luck. It won't completely close and the roof is tilted DOWN. I just want to get it closed for now so I won't get any rain or water in the cabin. I've removed the motor and manually tried to close but can't get the roof to tilt up to fully close. I've also tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes with no luck.
I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,945 Posts
Underneath the SOS panel is a manual crank for just such a situation. The panel is clipped in and pops off.

I've never had to use it, but it's located there.

·
Registered
587 Posts
very common problem. the only real fix is to replace the entire sunroof cartridge. what most people (what i did on mine) is to disable the rear section of the sunroof by removing the plastic slide mechanism.

it is the same fix for the X5 e53.

G~

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very common problem. the only real fix is to replace the entire sunroof cartridge. what most people (what i did on mine) is to disable the rear section of the sunroof by removing the plastic slide mechanism.

it is the same fix for the X5 e53.

G~
I've already removed the plastic slide piece. The issue now is that the front glass does not close fully. It stops 3-4 inches from the front edge. If I manually close it, the glass will not tilt up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
OP, try disconnecting the battery for an hour just in case something wigged out on you. I've fixed some oddities that way before, though nothing sunroof-specific (haven't need to... yet).
And most of all, once you get it fixed, don't ever touch the sunroof again. LOL
Not only do our E61s have the drawback of added weight from the sunroof and supporting gear, but also the addition of clogged lines that cause mold and fried modules, but also the awesome 'benefit' of things breaking and/or not working correctly.
Love the power and handling, not so much the plethora of gadgets that don't work the way they're supposed to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP, try disconnecting the battery for an hour just in case something wigged out on you. I've fixed some oddities that way before, though nothing sunroof-specific (haven't need to... yet).
And most of all, once you get it fixed, don't ever touch the sunroof again. LOL
Not only do our E61s have the drawback of added weight from the sunroof and supporting gear, but also the addition of clogged lines that cause mold and fried modules, but also the awesome 'benefit' of things breaking and/or not working correctly.
Love the power and handling, not so much the plethora of gadgets that don't work the way they're supposed to.
I will try that and by some chance it works, I'm disconnecting the sunroof switch..lol.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Did you set pins on the side track holes prior to reinstalling the motors ? Also did you check the tracks for any obstructions that would interfere with the glass moving all the way foreward ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you set pins on the side track holes prior to reinstalling the motors ? Also did you check the tracks for any obstructions that would interfere with the glass moving all the way foreward ?

I checked the tracks multiple times and cleaned it. I don't see anything blocking it's way. When I press the tilt button, the glass moves forward an inch or two instead of going up. It thinks it's closed when there is a gap of 3-4 inches. I've tried reinitializing multiple times but it always ends up 3-4 inches from the edge.

As far as the pins on the side track holes, I'm not sure where they are?
Thanks,
James

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,945 Posts
I believe initializing detects when the motor stalls or reaches a certain force to indicate that the roof has been closed. It seems to me that you haven't fixed whatever is jamming it, and so when you reinitialize it gets caught up and thinks it's closed.

Does the sunroof use hall sensors like the side windows to detect jams? Maybe it needs replacing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I checked the tracks multiple times and cleaned it. I don't see anything blocking it's way. When I press the tilt button, the glass moves forward an inch or two instead of going up. It thinks it's closed when there is a gap of 3-4 inches. I've tried reinitializing multiple times but it always ends up 3-4 inches from the edge.

Thanks,
James
The button not doing what it's supposed to do makes me think the switch is defective. Have you taken a detailed look at the switch for corrosion, loose wires, etc?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The button not doing what it's supposed to do makes me think the switch is defective. Have you taken a detailed look at the switch for corrosion, loose wires, etc?
I didn't see anything unusual when I checked it last but I'll take a look at it again. It seems that everything is functioning as expected but never know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe initializing detects when the motor stalls or reaches a certain force to indicate that the roof has been closed. It seems to me that you haven't fixed whatever is jamming it, and so when you reinitialize it gets caught up and thinks it's closed.

Does the sunroof use hall sensors like the side windows to detect jams? Maybe it needs replacing.
I checked the rails and even ran through it with a pick to make sure there are no obstructions. I've cleaned the rails multiple times as well. I don't know if it uses hall sensors. I would try replacing it if I can locate the sensors.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts

Thanks,
James
They are not pins in the tracks .. there are holes on the sides of the glass rails that need to be aligned . you stick pins or a screw driver in the holes to line up the cables prior to reinstalling the motors after removal ..

Also there are plastic wedges in the tracks that get jammed for one reason or another ( i think its pressure ) . so what you have to do is remove the motor get a screw driver and gently knock the wedge down . line up the timing holes that i mentioned to get the cables even. Then reinstall the motors and reinitialize

Read my thread on a pano sun roof tear down ,, lots of pictures information and videos . Check out post 82 to see what im taking about ..

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274240

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
They are not pins in the tracks .. there are holes on the sides of the glass rails that need to be aligned . you stick pins or a screw driver in the holes to line up the cables prior to reinstalling the motors after removal ..

Also there are plastic wedges in the tracks that get jammed for one reason or another ( i think its pressure ) . so what you have to do is remove the motor get a screw driver and gently knock the wedge down . line up the timing holes that i mentioned to get the cables even. Then reinstall the motors and reinitialize

Read my thread on a pano sun roof tear down ,, lots of pictures information and videos . Check out post 82 to see what im taking about ..

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274240
Nice post on your sunroof fix. Now I see what you mean by the holes. My dilemma is that even after I manually close the front glass, it won't tilt up and fully seal. I was going to try to remove the glass to check the tracks but I can't get access to the screws which are holding the glass down.

Do you know if there is a way for me to raise/tilt up the glass manually? I'm really hoping not to remove the entire assembly like you did :) At this point, I'm just trying to close the glass so no water comes in and work on it when we get warmer weather in the Northeast.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Nice post on your sunroof fix. Now I see what you mean by the holes. My dilemma is that even after I manually close the front glass, it won't tilt up and fully seal. I was going to try to remove the glass to check the tracks but I can't get access to the screws which are holding the glass down.

Do you know if there is a way for me to raise/tilt up the glass manually? I'm really hoping not to remove the entire assembly like you did :) At this point, I'm just trying to close the glass so no water comes in and work on it when we get warmer weather in the Northeast.

Thanks,
James
I had no choice but to drop the sunroof , had to fix all the broken rail parts .

So ,, as I mentioned earlier you can tap the plastic wedges on the tracks to lower the sunroof all the way .

Watch this video and you'll see what i mean .. Hope this helps .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpDcy8C56Y

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had no choice but to drop the sunroof , had to fix all the broken rail parts .

So ,, as I mentioned earlier you can tap the plastic wedges on the tracks to lower the sunroof all the way .

Watch this video and you'll see what i mean .. Hope this helps .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpDcy8C56Y
I did view that video before. My problem is not the sunroof tilting down but the front glass won't tilt up to close. It's the exact opposite issue :) I can't figure out which mechanism allows the glass to raise from from the lowered position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Watch this vid . it shows the mechanical arm that lowers and raises the glass .

Thanks for the help. I'm going to see if I can move the mechanism but I have a feeling that it's not going to be easy since it'll be covered by the glass and the glass is lowered. I wish I can get to the screws to remove the glass.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'm going to see if I can move the mechanism but I have a feeling that it's not going to be easy since it'll be covered by the glass and the glass is lowered. I wish I can get to the screws to remove the glass.
Your welcome happy to help ... If you remove the rubber boot you will have access to the screws . I have a video on this,, ill dig it up for you ..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts