Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

10 amp Control Panel fuse continually blows and I know it is not the control module - located on the driver side door - as I have had it replaced as a way of eliminating a variable. The symptoms are that none of the controls work on the panel (windows or mirrors), however the passenger side window control does. To add to the mystery: all windows activate as part of the roof folding down. So it would appear that the window motors are fine.

I can't be the only owner who has experienced this fault so any reasonable comments will be welcomed.

Many thanks in advance,

CJ

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,497 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Doug,

I guess, based on your schematic diagram reply, that it could be one of a multitude of components hanging off the back of the 10amp fuse?
I was hoping - based on this 12 year old car - that there may have been a common issue identified by E64 owners.***x1f914;

Cheers,

CJ

·
Super Moderator
8,135 Posts
He only knows how to link TIS. What control panel are you talking about, maybe a little more info would help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi HerbP,

The control module on the driver side door interior that consist of rocker switches and joy pad that adjusts the 5 windows & 2 door mirrors. This is what was replaced as part of the investigation but it did not resolve the issue. The problem lays elsewhere and I was wondering next steps. There are no errors on the dashboard. My local garage cant find anything without having to trace the all the circuits. Unfortunately, they cannot determine how long this will take which is a bit of a challenge for me as I don't know if this is a 3 digit or 4 digit figure.

·
Super Moderator
8,135 Posts
Hi HerbP,

The control module on the driver side door interior that consist of rocker switches and joy pad that adjusts the 5 windows & 2 door mirrors. This is what was replaced as part of the investigation but it did not resolve the issue. The problem lays elsewhere and I was wondering next steps. There are no errors on the dashboard. My local garage cant find anything without having to trace the all the circuits. Unfortunately, they cannot determine how long this will take which is a bit of a challenge for me as I don't know if this is a 3 digit or 4 digit figure.
I am confused, did you replace the door module, the fuse , or both? Which fuse is blowing, as I am looking at a 30 amp fuse F10? Fuse F 29 is a 10 amp fuse controlling the gateway safety module. If the fuse continues to blow, I would suspect a short somewhere in the door? You probably need to have a BMW shop with ISTA to look at the problem, since there are several modules that do talk with each other. ISTA would breakdown the problem by module, & test each component separately. The sad thing is electrical issues like this can be very time consuming. A BMW shop would most likely swap out modules, until the found the bad apple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi HerbP,

After replacing the 10amp fuse multiple times I had the control panel replaced. So to answer your question I had both the fuse and control panel replaced. In any case I take your point.

Thank you for your insights. It is much appreciated.

CJ

·
Super Moderator
8,135 Posts
Was the module replaced by someone that could code it to your car? Since that module is safety related, a simple clearing of the fault inside of that module with ISTA will probably solve the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I am interpreting the circuit diagrams correctly, fuse 32, 10 amps, also supplies power to both outside mirror Electrochromics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Bigmac3,

Yes it does. And both mirrors fully function from the control panel when the fuse is in tact.

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
At what point does the fuse blow, when you start the car, when you operate any switch??? immediately when you change the fuse??? you could disconnect the plug and socket into the door, and see if it blows the fuse, if it doesn't then you are looking to the wiring in the door, you should be able to fault find with a meter into the door.... see if any shorts???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At what point does the fuse blow, when you start the car, when you operate any switch??? immediately when you change the fuse??? you could disconnect the plug and socket into the door, and see if it blows the fuse, if it doesn't then you are looking to the wiring in the door, you should be able to fault find with a meter into the door.... see if any shorts???
Hi 645,

The blowing of the fuse has no discernable pattern and has not been triggered by operating the panel - remember I have had this replaced. Most of the time I discover the fuse has blown before I turn the ignition or at some random period in the journey - which is annoying when I want to lower the windows from the console.

That said, I like your suggestion of disconnecting the cable to the door. At least this will elliminate another variable. Just need to find where that is.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

CJ

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,135 Posts
Not sure where I got them, just click on the link, then the file goes to your download folder. The open them from there. I might have put some of them on the DIY sticky, helpful links. They are working on my side?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts