Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys yesterday I went to put gas on my m6 2009 e64 after I drove like 3-4 miles I got check engine and fault error increased emissions on the I drive.
The car currently with around 67k miles

I keep drove because I was have to.
Today I connect the car to ista and it's shows me these error codes :
002AF9 - coolant temperature sensor
002b59 coolant thermostat monitoring
00E719 message (coolant temperature 0x1D0) receiver IHKA transmitter DME-DDE

I deleted all codes from. Ista and than came back after few seconds only the code :
002b59 coolant thermostat monitoring

I deleted again the code and drove like two miles and did not came back again yet.

What could be the problem? What could cause this to happen?
Should I replace the thermostat and water pump or just thermostat?
Please help

Thanks so. Much.

·
Super Moderator
8,325 Posts
The thermostat is electro-mechanical thermostat. If the DME can't monitor the coolant temp either the thermostat is bad, or a wire is not making a good connection. I don't know why you would want to replace the water pump for this fault? Have you tried to run the test plan in ISTA to see what the diagnosis is?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thermostat is electro-mechanical thermostat. If the DME can't monitor the coolant temp either the thermostat is bad, or a wire is not making a good connection. I don't know why you would want to replace the water pump for this fault? Have you tried to run the test plan in ISTA to see what the diagnosis is?
I didn't run the test plan.
How should I do it?

So on what you saying the thermostat probably bad?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So after been reading info around the internet iwill go on thermostat replacement diy.

How should I do the "draining top half of radiator"?

And if I'm gonna drain top half radiator should I do coolant bleeding?
If yes how do I do that?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,474 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hey, sorry but I didn't understand your comment.
Where should I put my Vin and what should I search at the link you gave me?
It's send me to the main page of the forum.
click on the WWW It's a link

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I drove the car now like 15 miles more and check engine did not came back yet.
But the temperature eventually after I drove the 15miles stays like this : (I attach picture)

I remember that it used to go almost on 210F or stays on 210 before the problem start.

Thats mean thermostat is bad?

By the way when the car is on N and I press the accelerate the temp that I shows you on pics goes little down and than again up

Attachments

·
Living the dream.
2004 646 Cic
202 Posts
But the temperature eventually after I drove the 15miles stays like this : (I attach picture)

I remember that it used to go almost on 210F or stays on 210 before the problem start.

By the way when the car is on N and I press the accelerate the temp that I shows you on pics goes little down and than again up
OP that's an OIL temp gauge. Not a Coolant temp gauge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

OP that's an OIL temp gauge. Not a Coolant temp gauge.
It's means Idont have what to worry about?
So far check engine did not came back I can keep drive it with no worries?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forget about that ;/
check engine came back on my way home

iwill start with thermostat replacment and will go from there,
thanks guys i keep it update

·
Michael
2,268 Posts
To be fair, why are you diving into the repair? when to be candid you did not understand you were looking at the oil temperature as these cars do not show water/coolant temperature. This is fairly basic knowledge, perhaps you need to step back and rethink your approach. Many of the guys on here really have great knowledge which they are willing to support you, I suggest you follow a more step by step approach and read up on the basics to understand how these cars work, a good investment in your time and will probably save you a fortune!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
For a thermostat replacement look here, don't forget to click on the links in blue to expand the details further on each respected item.

The people in this forum will be able to give you specific advice on your car as that's what it is dedicated to, I'd advise you to have a good look through and ask a few questions there :thumbup:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had my replaced on my e60 M5. I was going to do it myself, but getting to the t-stat is a real pain. You have to partially remove the intake plenums - very difficult. It cost me about $600 from my Indy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the same problem. they cleared the code but it came back. Here is the diagnosis and repairs. Hope it helps.

Job01 D CHECK ENGINE LIGHT Labor
CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, CHECK & ADVISE
TECHNICIAN SCANNED VEHICLE AND NOTED THE FOLLOWING CODES:
279B DME THERMOSTAT STUCK
2772 DME FUEL TANK VENT VALVE FAULTY
TECHNICIAN FOLLOWED PROMPTS VIA ISTA (BMW DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE) WHICH INDICATES TO
MANUALLY ACTUATE THERMOSTAT. ISTA UNABLE TO ACTUATE THERMOSTAT. VEHICLE AT RISK OF
OVERHEATING. RECOMMEND THERMOSTAT AND TEMP SENSORS
TECHNICIAN THEN FOLLOWED TEST PLAN FOR FUEL TANK VENT VALVE (DIAG D1330) FUEL TANK VENT
VALVE FAULTY. RECOMMEND REMOVE AND REPLACE FUEL TANK VENT VALVE, CLEAR FAULT CODES AND
RECHECK VEHICLE FOR ANY REMAINING FAULT CODES OR DIAGNOSTIC STEPS
Job02 B T/STAT REPLACEMENT L
82 14 1 467 704 Coolant
55 7864 010 Distilled Water
11 53 7 586 885 THERMOSTAT HOUSING
13 62 1 433 077 Coolant Temperature
FOUND FAULTY THERMOSTAT DUE TO LEAK OR MAP THERMOSTAT ACTIVATION FAULT.
RECOMMEND REPLACE THERMOSTAT AND REFILL COOLING SYSTEM, CLEAR FAULTS
Job03 B Fuel Tank Vent Valve Labor:
13 90 7 506 739 FUEL TANK VENT VALVE
TECHNICIAN OBSERVED FAULTY FUEL TANK VENT VALVE DURING DIAGNOSIS
RECOMMEND REPLACE FUEL TANK VENT VALVE, CLEAR FAULT CODES, ROAD TEST VEHICLE, AND RECHECK
AFTER REPAIRS FOR ANY REMAINING FAULTS
------->---->---->---Continued on the next page--->---->----->------>

Date: 12/18/18 09:48 am
Job03 B Fuel Tank Vent Valve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts