BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, BMW NA had offered to buy back my 2002 745Li because of numerous electrical and transmission issues with the car. The entire process went as smooth as it could get. Once the paperwork is done with BMW-NA, they have an agent from ISG schedule an appointment with you to bring your vehicle into a dealer in your area. At the dealership, the agent does a pretty thorough visual inspection of the car (you will be responsible for repairs for anything more than wear and tear). Then you go inside and do the paperwork to transfer the title over, and then they give you your check and you're on your way out. The rep that I had was very courteous and professional.

For those that are having ongoing issues with your car (ie. transmission!!!), and is still under warranty, I encourage you to resolve your issues directly with BMW-NA. You will need to write to their NJ HQ. Don't bother calling the 800 number, because those guys are just phone operators with no authority to do anything!

The guys at BMW legal are very professional, no b/s, no games. They hear your concern, and address it in a VERY TIMELY manner. They even told me that my "repurchased vehicle" will undergo a safety check, and then will go onto the auction floor and back out on the market. The lemons get recycled!!!!

Now that I have your attention, please take a look at my beautiful wheels which are for sale:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319395

THANKS!!!! :)

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
Jerry, what makes them say OK and lemon it? Do you need to have the same exact issue 10x in a year or something like that?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry did you still have warranty? And now what you gonna get? Another 7 or you switching brands?
Yes. Your car needs to be under warranty if you want to exercise your lemon-law rights. There is case law that says your warranty is extended by the # of days the car is spent in the shop. For example, if your car was out of service for a total of 30-days for warranty related repairs, then your warranty expires 30-days from the original warranty expiration date.

I eyeing hard on a E55 AMG. I love the E66 but its time for something different. There's still a 325i in the garage so I'm still in the family. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry, what makes them say OK and lemon it? Do you need to have the same exact issue 10x in a year or something like that?
The law basically just state that they are entitled to a reasonable number of attempts to repair the car. However, there is no true definition of what "a reasonable number of attempts" is. The CA lemon law uses a general rule of thumb that 4 repair attempts for the same problem meets the definition of a lemon. But it is really a guideline and may vary depending upon how serious the problem is. I argued that the transmission and the frozen I-drive screen issue is a safety problem. Another factor is the number of miles driven between repair attempts.

In my case, it was so serious (to BMW) that they wanted my car back ASAP. LOL! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The e55 seems to have a good reputation drove my cousins 2000 e55 and the thing drove solid like it just came from the factory at 140k miles on it. What issues were you expieriencing with the 7 that made you call it quits? Were you the first owner?

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
Get a E55, or even a CLS55. I think the 55 models feel so much better compared to the E63 or CLS63. That supercharger on the 55 model's are nice.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Good to hear that jerry , E55 are strong and nice :thumbup:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The e55 seems to have a good reputation drove my cousins 2000 e55 and the thing drove solid like it just came from the factory at 140k miles on it. What issues were you expieriencing with the 7 that made you call it quits? Were you the first owner?
I was the 2nd owner. I had a bunch of small electrical gremlins running around. Various modules and sensor failures. But the biggest re-occurring issues had to with the transmission jolts and the frozen i-drive BMW banner. The thought of "giving up" my car never ran through my mind -- I really like this car. I wrote to them hoping that they would just replace my transmission and give a new DVD unit (which I believe was the culprit behind the frozen idrive screen). To my surprise, they offered to repurchase the car. I guess they didn't want to spend loads of $$$ on the car not knowing if it would fix it. Also, they would have to extend my warranty had they put in those new parts. I guess BMW too is fed up with the 2002s at least. It was somewhat hard letting go of the E55 -- but I guess this is my ticket to try something new.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get a E55, or even a CLS55. I think the 55 models feel so much better compared to the E63 or CLS63. That supercharger on the 55 model's are nice.
I know the 63-AMGs don't have the supercharger. I cannot afford a 63.

Why do you like about the 55 better? Do you feel more power because of the supercharger?
I'm going to try to look at two tomorrow. I'll probably get addicted very quick... :p

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
I know the 63-AMGs don't have the supercharger. I cannot afford a 63.

Why do you like about the 55 better? Do you feel more power because of the supercharger?
I'm going to try to look at two tomorrow. I'll probably get addicted very quick... :p
I have a CLS55 and my buddy just picked up a CLS3. Anyways, my 55 feels like it has much better throttle response and better off the line pick up. The 55 feals powerful until that supercharger kicks. After the super charger kicks, it can get sort of scary at times. I think both of these cars are great for speed, but I personally would not tryto track it or anything like that. The 55 will break traction no problem. I was only able to get the CLS3 loose after a couple "abusive" drives.

I personally think the 55 will take off at the line and keep running, versus the 63 may eventually catch up to you at high speed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Pretty sure they are state laws, so they vary from state to state. Good news is that it sounds like BMW usually gets way ahead of lemon law proceedings, they seem surprisingly generous with trade assists and buy backs. This way they don't lose a customer for life.

Years ago I had a Mercury 'new cougar'. The fifth time I took it in for the same transmission problem I handed them a letter documenting my service history and stating I was aware of and prepared to invoke the California Lemon Law. Things changed immediately: they instantly stopped screwing around and replaced the entire transmission. I think when it gets down to it any manufacturer is going to do their best to not go all the way to actually being forced to do something under the Lemon Law, as that gets put on the title and probably becomes a JD-Power and Consumer Reports data point.

Multiple repairs (high number, like 5) failing to resolve the *same* problem which affects the drivability of the vehicle is what I remember of the standard in California. So various electronics glitches may not actually be actionable, and I was also under the impression it may have only applied to the first owner.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty sure they are state laws, so they vary from state to state. Good news is that it sounds like BMW usually gets way ahead of lemon law proceedings, they seem surprisingly generous with trade assists and buy backs. This way they don't lose a customer for life.

Years ago I had a Mercury 'new cougar'. The fifth time I took it in for the same transmission problem I handed them a letter documenting my service history and stating I was aware of and prepared to invoke the California Lemon Law. Things changed immediately: they instantly stopped screwing around and replaced the entire transmission. I think when it gets down to it any manufacturer is going to do their best to not go all the way to actually being forced to do something under the Lemon Law, as that gets put on the title and probably becomes a JD-Power and Consumer Reports data point.

Multiple repairs (high number, like 5) failing to resolve the *same* problem which affects the drivability of the vehicle is what I remember of the standard in California. So various electronics glitches may not actually be actionable, and I was also under the impression it may have only applied to the first owner.
The "lemon law" that applies across all states is the Magnusson Moss Act. In California, it is the Song-Beverly Act (ie. Ca Lemon Law). The California Act mirrors the Federal. Both do not define what the number of reasonable attempt is.

The elements of each act is somewhat broad and general. It could be 4-5 failure of the same problem which affects the drivability of the vehicle. But it really depends on the totality of the circumstances. For example, each of the following scenarios would meet the definition of a lemon:
1) Multiple failures of DIFFERENT parts over a short period of time
2) 1 or 2 failure of the SAME safety-related part
3) Short period of time between each failure

It could be a combination of anything. So if you are experiencing transmission issues for just 3 times for example, don't feel that you dont have a case because some of your prior repairs could have already "tipped the scale" qualifying it as a lemon as we speak.

Finally, the lemon law applies to all vehicles under factory or CPO warranty. Doesn't matter if you are the 10th owner of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Congrats, man! Glad everything worked out for you.:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts