BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Looking for someone in the Northern Virginia / Washington D.C. area that can assist with resetting a check engine light, an airbag malfunction warning, and a 4x4 error light. I disconnected the battery and removed the middle row seat to replace the fuel pump, and when I buttoned everything back up I had a ton of errors. I plan to stop by AutoZone on Saturday but I dont know if the OBD2 machine will work.

Look forward to your help!

Cheers.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

So after driving about 100 miles yesterday there was still no change. I tried to 4x4 reset by turning the wheel end to end and holding, but didnt work. This morning I disconnected the battery and checked all the fuses in the trunk area, none were blown. After reconnecting the battery I noticed that now the air suspension doesnt work and has bottomed out, and the power seats, NAV, and sun roof no longer work, along with all of the other errors. I cant believe that disconnecting the battery would make such a mess but now I am almost convinced that it is a batter issue. It still runs and drives but is horrible without the suspension. Im scheduled to take it up to BMW Monday morning but have to drive 1hr to get there.

Wish me luck.

· Registered
8,041 Posts
You did not mention the ago of the car. A failing battery will cause all kinds of weird errors. If it's more than 4 years old it's suspect.

Going to the dealer will set you back $500 (give or take $50) for the battery alone. Not sure where Woodbridge VA is but if your car is out of 4/50 warranty you might be better off buying your own battery, installing it, then having independent BMW repairer remaining codes and test drive it to make sure they don't come back. At this point you may just be ready to have issue resolved but just be ready for a fleecing.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
You did not mention the ago of the car. A failing battery will cause all kinds of weird errors. If it's more than 4 years old it's suspect.

Going to the dealer will set you back $500 (give or take $50) for the battery alone. Not sure where Woodbridge VA is but if your car is out of 4/50 warranty you might be better off buying your own battery, installing it, then having independent BMW repairer remaining codes and test drive it to make sure they don't come back. At this point you may just be ready to have issue resolved but just be ready for a fleecing.
1000% agree.

IMO do not think the dealer will be a temple of wisdom where they will- for whatever diagnostic charge they quote- provide you with a PERFECT DIAGNOSIS.

The fact that messing with the battery triggered escalating issues is a flag...run out sunday, find a battery, replace it and drive 50 miles. Try and get the CEL reset and see how that does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.