Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I would like to know what I should be looking at labor price for all front 4 lower control arms "2 each side" and 2 complete shock assemblies. I have all the parts but want to make sure I get a fair deal at a good INDY. Thanks ahead

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,050 Posts
Somewhat depends on where you are and local competition. I noticed a Fester reporting $225/hour at a BMW Service Center. I’m sure the “INDY” down that street will advertise his good deal at $200/hour. I think that it was NYC

·
What was that?
861 Posts
Hello all, I would like to know what I should be looking at labor price for all front 4 lower control arms "2 each side" and 2 complete shock assemblies. I have all the parts but want to make sure I get a fair deal at a good INDY. Thanks ahead
Quote I got over 1 year ago was $700 la or for both front struts IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,502 Posts
My issue always is 'where do you draw the line(s)?'

What about upper control arm? wheel bearings? sway bar bushes? Sway bar links? Steering linkages? Motor mounts? trnny? quibo..... never ends.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somewhat depends on where you are and local competition. I noticed a Fester reporting $225/hour at a BMW Service Center. I’m sure the “INDY” down that street will advertise his good deal at $200/hour. I think that it was NYC
That being said..How long should the job take? THX ahead

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My issue always is 'where do you draw the line(s)?'

What about upper control arm? wheel bearings? sway bar bushes? Sway bar links? Steering linkages? Motor mounts? trnny? quibo..... never ends.
The line was drawn when the upper control arms are still good and would also require an alignment if replaced.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,502 Posts
lol
you need an alignment anyway. Youre a fool if you dont. See my signature for a thread on alignments..... did you read the TIS and decide the lower arms dont require an alignmnet?!??! Or some 'expert' told you this? Id bet $$$ the TIS says 'alignment if parts replaced"...and its a $99 job, seriously

How long would it take ME? 5-6 hrs, but not a pro. Pro 4 hrs or less.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The line was drawn when the upper control arms are still good and would also require an alignment if replaced.

I did front both upper and lower control arms and sway link bars. Not the struts. Part of a larger update when they did my Valve stem seals and the engine was down.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,050 Posts
My issue always is 'where do you draw the line(s)?'. What about upper control arm? wheel bearings? sway bar bushes? Sway bar links? Steering linkages? Motor mounts? trnny? quibo..... never ends.
Approaching 100,000 miles, that is my question, what are the suspension component replacement criteria?

For the shock-absorber struts I pay attention to bounce-jounce and it still feels firm at subjectively one cycle. For wheel bearings BMW (NewTIS) published axial and radial runout limits.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,050 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Approaching 100,000 miles, that is my question, what are the suspension component replacement criteria?

For the shock-absorber struts I pay attention to bounce-jounce and it still feels firm at subjectively one cycle. For wheel bearings BMW (NewTIS) published axial and radial runout limits.
Im @ 117k and the driver side shock started knocking when hitting bumps. As a few months went on it started squeaking and knocking when hitting bumps. Got the money together for parts and hope enough for labor.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres the update,,, $520 for parts "$20 of that DEF fluid" All parts installed,cleared a CEL code and refilled DEF $575 for labor. Grand total $1,095. Total job took 3 hours.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,050 Posts
If YOU did not authorize the DEF refill then I would not trust that shop. I believe that BMW diesel fan’s subforum here at BF BEST PRACTICE is for the owner to gently service DEF himself.

YOU might anticipate DEF tank level errors sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If YOU did not authorize the DEF refill then I would not trust that shop. I believe that BMW diesel fan’s subforum here at BF BEST PRACTICE is for the owner to gently service DEF himself.

YOU might anticipate DEF tank level errors sooner than later.
Not only did I authorize the DEF refill but I also watched the labor. Basically a reused $30 BMW DEF jug with the bottom cut off. Used Walmart DEF as I did 27k miles ago with same INDY. No problem then and no problem now. Easy thing to do if you dont mind the cat piss smell LOL

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol
you need an alignment anyway. Youre a fool if you dont. See my signature for a thread on alignments..... did you read the TIS and decide the lower arms dont require an alignmnet?!??! Or some 'expert' told you this? Id bet $$$ the TIS says 'alignment if parts replaced"...and its a $99 job, seriously

How long would it take ME? 5-6 hrs, but not a pro. Pro 4 hrs or less.
ANOTHER UPDATE**** Local Stealership sent out some coupons Monday. Did a $74.99 oil change and filter today. They also provided a complementary four wheel alignment check as well. I just wanted to report back the alignment was perfect!! THX for trying to help the community though)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts