Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finishing up a valve cover gasket swap when I broke a small clip the overflow oil line. This is the line that attaches to the injectors. I am using this name so we have a common understanding of what to call it since that is what it is called on RealOEM. It is part #12 in this link. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ZW03-USA-03-2011-E70N-BMW-X5_35dX&diagId=13_1231

I ordered a new BMW Overflow line, installed it, bleed the fuel line through my tool, and took it for a test drive. The vehicle seemed ok. As I was returning from the test drive I was entering the highway so I decided to accelerate hard. I gave it about 90% throttle and went down the on ramp. Somewhere around 60mph a loud pop was heard, the X5 went into limp home, and then shut down. I had my code reader and it only registered a fuel rail pressure error and it would not restart. I towed it home and found that the Overflow line separated at the filter. This is a brand new line. The old line had 167k miles on it but did not separate under hard acceleration. I contacted the retailer and I am getting a full swap to another line. My question is why did this separate? Was it too much pressure for every overflow line and is there something going on like high pressure fuel from the pump going into the fuel return line.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts