Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm that an E71 Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters and heated steering wheel will fit on a non-Sport 2012 LCI E70?

I'm getting ready to do the heated steering wheel retrofit and found a good deal on an E71 Sport steering wheel that also happens to have the paddle shifters. While it's not something I was looking for, I'd be happy to have them. I have verified that the wiring diagrams for the E70 and E71 steering wheels are identical, and I know how to check if my E70 is pre-wired to support the paddle shifters. So at this point I'm just looking for confirmation that the wheel will actually fit.

I haven't found a part number in RealOEM for the non-M Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters, thought it does show that the M sport steering wheel with paddle shifters fits both the E70 and E71.

I'm about 95% convinced it will fit. Just hoping somebody can confirm for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I want to do a similar conversion but to Pre LCI, out of curiosity how much did you pay for your wheel? Ive had a bit of a look around and they're selling for small fortunes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I want to do a similar conversion but to Pre LCI, out of curiosity how much did you pay for your wheel? Ive had a bit of a look around and they're selling for small fortunes.
I paid $245 including shipping for a heated Sports steering wheel with paddle shifters. The steering wheel came off a 2013 X6 50i with the Sports package. As far as I can tell, it's part number 32306797911. RealOEM lists this as compatible with my 2012 LCI X5.

I've been told that I need to have the shifters with resistors (instead of simple open/close switches). I checked, and the resistance across the wires on my left shifter is 6550 ohms normally and 345 ohms when pulled. The resistance across the wires on my right shifter is 6170 ohms and 1171 ohms. These numbers might be a little off because the probes on my multimeter were a bit to big to easily get a solid reading from the connectors. The important thing is that these are not simply open/closed switches.

There are two styles of paddles out there. If the ones I have don't work, I may try to track down a set of the other style and try those.

I'm going to try installing it this weekend. I've seen speculation that it won't work because I don't already have the Sports option installed. After installing I'll add $2XA to my VO and see if that works. If not, I may try adding the Sports Package option as well.

If I can't get it working, I'm still going to go with a Sports steering wheel because I like the look better than the standard non-Sports steering wheel. I'll remove $2XA from the VO and add $255.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success!

The paddle shift retrofit was successful! I can confirm that it is possible (not just possible, but EASY) to retrofit paddle shifters to a 2012 LCI X5 with the Premium trim package and no Sports package.

I swapped a new knockoff Sports airbag cover onto my spare post-recall airbag last night. This morning I disconnected the battery, popped off the old airbag and steering wheel, popped on the new steering wheel and airbag, reconnected the battery, and finally, added $2XA to the VO using NCS Expert. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

After that I went out for a test drive. The paddle shifters worked exactly as I had hoped.

I don't know that the VO update was required, but it worked and I'm not going to go back and remove it now.

Now that I know it's working, I will replace the knockoff airbag cover with an OE as soon as I can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The purpose of updating the VO is to allow recoding the affected module(s). Which modules did you recode?
Thanks for the clarification. I'm kind of new at this.

For the paddle shifters I didn't recode anything to get them to work. I looked at the VOs for a couple E70 x50i's that I saw with this steering wheel and they had the 2XA option listed, which is the primary reason I added it. I haven't run across any applicable options to be coded for my E70, so it may not have been necessary to update the VO.

For the heated steering wheel retrofit, I did have to recode the IHKA module to activate the heated steering wheel. I added the 248 option to the VO and coded the change. Without the code, the control wire from the climate control carries 12V. With the coding, it carries 0V, which allows the heater to be turned on. Some people just ground this wire.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you don't want to go through coding by VO which can overwrite your previous codings you can do it this way. This is how I deleted my TPMS and switched to FTM, by tracing the codes this way:

Just do a search for text in files of the daten\e70\E70AT.000 file for 2XA
gives you this showing no coding needed for the sport paddles.
W 2XA // //Sport-Lederlenkrad mit Schaltwippen
See theres nothing after the code- it means it doesn't change codings.

As OP noticed with the steering wheel heater setup:
Normally if there was a coding for it, you would get something like this:
W 248 LENKRADHEIZUNG //Steering wheel heating //Lenkradheizung

You then take that 'word' LENKRADHEIZUNG and open ncsdummy:
Go to e70 chassis... then click filter and put LENKRADHEIZUNG for "order option"- hit enter to search
It gives me result of 3 IHKA modules (different versions).
Click the IHKA that applies to your module.
Click a parameter in the list and hit Ctrl+F at the same time.
Put in LENKRADHEIZUNG for order option and you will see what to modify.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't want to go through coding by VO which can overwrite your previous codings you can do it this way. This is how I deleted my TPMS and switched to FTM, by tracing the codes this way:
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be putting that information to use--I'm an inveterate tinkerer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be putting that information to use--I'm an inveterate tinkerer.
Please share any special things you find.
The only other thing I found was KVNK for short distance VO, which changes a kl30g timeout from 30 mins to 20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 E70 LCI, I'd like to do the heated steering wheel retrofit, I already bought a steering wheel with heated and without paddle shifters. Do I need anything else to do the retrofit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2012 E70 LCI, I'd like to do the heated steering wheel retrofit, I already bought a steering wheel with heated and without paddle shifters. Do I need anything else to do the retrofit?

Thanks.
You'll need the following:
Coil spring cartridge with the 12-pin connector, #61319122381
12-pin connector, 61136954518
Socket terminals, 61131393724 (3-5, depending on how you do your wiring)
Tap-a-fuse (depending on how you do your wiring)
Ring terminal (depending on how you do your wiring)
Heat shrink tubing
Friction tape

Here's how I did mine: https://xoutpost.com/1152956-post28.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heat shrink tubing
Friction tape

Thanks for your quick reply. Let me study it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heat shrink tubing
Friction tape

Hi, I did the retrofit today, at first, the heated function worked fine for about 5 minutes. But when I started to drive my X5, the heated function did not work anymore***65292; But all other buttons on the steering wheel still work. I guess the clock spring may have problem. And another problem is the 4X4 warring, generally after the battery is disconnected and connect again, it just need to turn the steering wheel to left and right for couple of time. But now it won't work. Do you have any idea about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, I did the retrofit today, at first, the heated function worked fine for about 5 minutes. But when I started to drive my X5, the heated function did not work anymore***65292; But all other buttons on the steering wheel still work. I guess the clock spring may have problem. And another problem is the 4X4 warring, generally after the battery is disconnected and connect again, it just need to turn the steering wheel to left and right for couple of time. But now it won't work. Do you have any idea about it.
It's entirely possible you may have a problem with your clock spring. If you installed a used clock spring with this retrofit, did you make sure it was centered before installing it, and that your wheels were pointed straight before reassembling the steering wheel? If your clock spring wasn't properly centered, the full left and full right could have damaged the internal ribbon cables and connections.

The persistent 4x4 warning sounds like it could be a steering angle sensor issue. If it's a software error, it's not difficult to reset it. I've done mine with a Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner tool (about $150). You may also be able to do it with Protools or one of the Windows-based tools. If that doesn't clear it, see above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's entirely possible you may have a problem with your clock spring. If you installed a used clock spring with this retrofit, did you make sure it was centered before installing it, and that your wheels were pointed straight before reassembling the steering wheel? If your clock spring wasn't properly centered, the full left and full right could have damaged the internal ribbon cables and connections.

The persistent 4x4 warning sounds like it could be a steering angle sensor issue. If it's a software error, it's not difficult to reset it. I've done mine with a Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner tool (about $150). You may also be able to do it with Protools or one of the Windows-based tools. If that doesn't clear it, see above.
I have more information about the issue. When I turn the steering wheel to right.the heated function worked but if I turn it back to a little left even center, the heated fuction stopped. Another one is. the steering lamp will not stop when I turn the steering wheel from right to center. I guess it's also related to steering angle sensor. The clock spring is a used one, I turned clockwise and then anticlockwise to count the total number of turns, it's about 5 turns, so the center position is 2 turns clockwise and 3 turns anticlockwise. I guess maybe I need to change it to 3 turns clockwise and 2 turns anticlockwise.

About the steering angle sensor, I have K+CAN cable, can I use it to do the reset?

I'm going to do reinstall the clock spring this weekend. Any suggestion is appreciated.

As per your suggestion, I used K+Can cable and ISTA software to do a steering angle sensor calibration this evening, after that, the 4X4 issue and turn light issue was gone. Now the only issue is the heated function. It should be a physical issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now the only issue is the heated function. It should be a physical issue.
Happy to hear you got rid of the 4x4 and steering issues with a SAS reset. I agree that the remaining steering wheel heater issue sounds mechanical. There are only 3 wires involved, so it should be fairly easy to check that the pins are seated correctly, the other connections are secure, and that you've got continuity from end-to-end. And check the fuse.

Out of curiosity, where did you source the 12V? And did you connect the control wire to the environmental controls or did you ground it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happy to hear you got rid of the 4x4 and steering issues with a SAS reset. I agree that the remaining steering wheel heater issue sounds mechanical. There are only 3 wires involved, so it should be fairly easy to check that the pins are seated correctly, the other connections are secure, and that you've got continuity from end-to-end. And check the fuse.

Out of curiosity, where did you source the 12V? And did you connect the control wire to the environmental controls or did you ground it?
I run the wire as per your instruction. 12V from fuse 12, control wire to the environment controls. I must say your instruction is perfect. Meanwhile I connect the Carcorder(the camera) to same fuse. The camera always works. so the fuse is good. And I also checked the 12V and ground pin in the 12-pin connector, they are good. But when I check the voltage of 12v and ground pin of the 3-pin connector on the clock spring, they both have -12V to ground. So basically we can say the clock spring got issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I run the wire as per your instruction. 12V from fuse 12, control wire to the environment controls. I must say your instruction is perfect. Meanwhile I connect the Carcorder(the camera) to same fuse. The camera always works. so the fuse is good. And I also checked the 12V and ground pin in the 12-pin connector, they are good. But when I check the voltage of 12v and ground pin of the 3-pin connector on the clock spring, they both have -12V to ground. So basically we can say the clock spring got issue.
It sounds like you may be right about the clock spring. However there is one more thing you can check. Do you have 0V or 12V between the control wire from then environmental controls and ground? If you have 12V, then you should check to make sure you still have $248 coded in the VO in your CAS and FRM modules.

Without that option in the VO, the control wire carries 12V. With the option added, the control wire carries 0V. You need 0V in order for the steering wheel heater to work. Believe me, I spent a lot of time cursing at my car before I figured this out!

I don't know how or why this could happen, but doesn't cost anything to check.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like you may be right about the clock spring. However there is one more thing you can check. Do you have 0V or 12V between the control wire from then environmental controls and ground? If you have 12V, then you should check to make sure you still have $248 coded in the VO in your CAS and FRM modules.

Without that option in the VO, the control wire carries 12V. With the option added, the control wire carries 0V. You need 0V in order for the steering wheel heater to work. Believe me, I spent a lot of time cursing at my car before I figured this out!

I don't know how or why this could happen, but doesn't cost anything to check.

Good luck!
The VO code is OK. Anyway I have just ordered another clock spring. I'm going to change it this weekend. Any update I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts