BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today my wife's X3 2010 while driving in the middle of the road the rpm went on max without pressing the accelerator, however she was able to slow it down the by applying the brake, after I arrived, I drew it back to home by applying the brake because was controllable, if felt like high rpm but not full throttle, as soon as you crank it goes max, wondering what happened.
Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
Need some additional details. So car is OFF. You turn the key (foot on brake) and the car starts and settles at what RPM before you hit the gas? If you hit the gas the RPMs "spike" at 3500, 4500 etc or max out? It then goes back down? I dont think by what you describe its any issue with a TB. Just a guess until you post more detail but did you check around the gas pedal to make sure there wasnt any debris stuck or maybe even the floor mat wedged around it causing the pedal to stick at all??? Did you get a CEL or any other lights ? I havent seen any recalls for something like this.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If not a stuck mat, I'll guess the sender attached to the gas pedal is bad. Or something has gone nuts in the cruise control. A very dangerous situation -- shouldn't be driven until fixed (after checking the floor mat and pedal itself, start with the OBD-II codes using a BMW-specific scanner).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,571 Posts
I believe that the throttle position sender has two independent signals sent and that are compared to preclude this consequence an improbable error will be generated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some details, I am from Montreal, Canada, the weather is super cold, the truck was outside, the mat wasn't stuck, and the engine was hot when it happened, I am not a professional mechanic but I do some repairs and part changes to a certain extend, better way to explaining the incidence the engine was reving like the gas pedal got stuck pressed at 1/6 throttle without me letting feel was physically stuck moreover like when the transmission is in neutral with no load it revs up to max but on Drive Position with break applied it was manageable to drive back home, I put the truck inside heated garage and the next day the truck fixed itself, no check engine code stored and now it drives like nothing happened, however I don't know it this will occur or not but I don't want to start replacing parts for nothing even without feeling any difference, It could be an electronic hiccup but I know the BMW's are made in a such way too much electronics with very little tolerance settings that makes them not a good candidates for our extreme weather differences, but I love them and this is my 4th BMW :)
In TPS there is a potentiometer like a device that might got dirty or humidity that changed some resistive values or the gas pedal that has the same potentiometer that changes resistive values, or maybe some dirt or humidity in connectors, or maybe the throttle body motor failed or got stuck, however I think it's an electronic issue.
Thank you all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts