BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I'm curious about moderate tuning options for the E83 (M54). Poking around the internet produced a few basic options: ECU flash, bigger throttle body, high flow intake, etc.

I'm not looking for giant gains, just a little more responsiveness. Any advice or parts brands I should consider would be welcome!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Change all the fluids in the gearbox, diff and transfer box if you don't have records for when they where changed. BMW fluids only in the transfer box. Put in premium fuel. That's it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it--Thanks!

So I'm taking it that it's not worth pursuing some parts upgrades for the E83 with the 6sp MT?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Nope. The only one worth considering IMHO is to swap in a RWD conversion using an E46 gearbox plus the appropriate coding of the traction system.

Most people don't change anything. Even comedy sized new wheels can cause issues with the X-Drive system.

As the car approaches 100k you'll need coils, plugs and possibly speculative 02 sensors. The circumference of all 4 wheels needs to be almost the same or you'll start getting clonks at walking pace as you enter parking lots from the transfer box unwinding and winding up unwanted rotational torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Car is just at 100k, so I'll do those maintenance items you mentioned. Many thanks for the feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts