BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 325i is on its way.. hopefully only a couple of weeks away. Just for the heck of it, I went and test drove a 2005 G35 today. I was rather impressed with the power, but wasn't exactly in love with its handling. What was most impressive was its list of standard features (heated seats, power everything) over the BMW's, and for considerably less $$$... Does anyone have any thoughts on the G35 and why the 325 is a better car?

BB

·
Registered
73 Posts
325i

More nimble
Better transmissions (both manual and auto)
Smoother Engine
Fuel econ
Interior fits and finish
High tech stuffs

G35

Way more powerful
Bigger
A lot of options are standard

Verdict:

I will take E90 325i over G35 no doubt. I have hope for the next gen IS250 so I am not buying yet.

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
The G35, once it became available with a real transmission (I'd test driven Version 1.0, without the real (translation: manual) transmission) is value-laden for the money.

I have test driven a G35 Sedan, and the acceleration was comparable with a Bimmer; the handling was not too far off. However, the shift lacked the buttery-smooth feel of a Bimmer (oh, you can believe that I, The Manual Transmission Princess, made the dealer find me a manual to test drive (not as easy as it sounds in SoCal, where "people don't want manuals because of the traffic, blah, blah, blah" :rolleyes: :bs: ) )

I did not like the amber instrumentation which disappeared in strong sunlight; I wasn't crazy about the analog clock, or the seats, for that matter (seemed like an inferior grade of cow was used). I thought the G35's cockpit was "busy" (of course, I prefer the sterile Teutonic look! :p :thumbup: ).

The G35 didn't quite have the lovely exhaust note of a Bimmer, where you turn the radio off just to listen to the engine.

However, I would never tell someone not to buy the G35 Coupe, which is good-looking, and you get a lot for the money - I have to admit I've toyed with the idea of getting one!

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Well, I've driven all types of G35s. I thought I wanted one once. But on a test drive of an 03 6MT I somehow managed to get the backend to lift off the ground. That freaked me out. I've since discovered G's aren't so hot when you get past the limit...in fact it's like having a tiger as a pet - it's cool, quick, athletic but one day it may rip your head off. That'd suck.

I ended up with an 03 330i. Not a mistake, even with the big price gap.

Recently drove an 05 G35 6mt. Same car, same floaty feel at hyper legal speeds, same rough engine, same NVH and one hell of a horrible tach setup. Got back in my older, supposedly slower 03 330i perf. pack and felt happy with what I have.

Drove the e90 330i and really, there's no comparing the two. the e90 flat out feels better, handles better, is smooth, the tranny's great, the engine's art...no infiniti for me.

If you're worried about cost differences, consider an ED330i. Even with leather you're still talking only about 35k. To me, the performance and ride difference is worth 3-5k. I'd rather be delighted all the time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
bblank said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the G35 and why the 325 is a better car?
BB
I don't know about "better car", but the deciding factor for me was the interior. I couldn't see myself in a G35 day in day out. That and G35 being too raw for my taste.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How about the Infiniti M?

The new Infiniti M35 is in the same price range as a loaded 330i its a little bigger but it seems to be a real sweet car and the M45 (V-8) trounced the 540i in the latest Car and Driver Luxo Test. I was all set on ordering a new E90 and giving my 325i to the wife but I cant live with the 700.00+ payments that they are asking right now. Test driving the M this Saturday to see if it will fit the bill.

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
I think the G35 is the best looking Japanese car out there right now (exterior). Especially the coupe.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
craigsbmw said:
The new Infiniti M35 is in the same price range as a loaded 330i its a little bigger but it seems to be a real sweet car and the M45 (V-8) trounced the 540i in the latest Car and Driver Luxo Test. .
It didn't trounce a 540i because BMW doesn't make that model any more. It was considered a better buy than a 530i (with the old 3.0L). The 545i wasn't tested due to high price. M45 is nice, but I'd take a 330i, even for equal money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've seen those g35 coupes when i was last in miami. Interesting cars, not particularly stylish, but trendy enough for those in their 20s. I'll saw one thing I recognized about the car and the guys who drive them: I was driving the from Boca Raton and I remember this kid in a Infiniti coupe (assuming it was a g35, and sounded like a cow, as the 350Z does) gets next to me at the stop light and moderately revs 3 times. His car is modified with an interesting paint job and flashy lipped rims; and a supercharger very noticable in the sound. Anyhow, I did not acknowledge him, and simply kept my revs low going around 45mph. He is ahead in the lane next to me, and diliberately slows down, drops a gear and blasts off.... Now, I was driving the Porsche and for him to even provoke an exotic of that nature, while he is in that infiniti coupe told me that its just a luxury solution for those who still want the japanese import sensation. And that is the image those with 350Zs carry as well, even here in Europe and that is only because if you buy a Z here, you cant afford a boxster or an M3 rather. Its not particularly popular anywhere in Europe... people would rather get a loaded 130i it seems...

The point is, if the 130i is somewhat preferred over the Z here, then the 325 for you, should be your choice. Not because others have their opinions, but because those Z/G35s obviously lack what the BMW has, which is the german engineering. You get the G35, you'll be pleased for a month at most, and then will begin to realize the image it gives. You get the 325, you will always be reminded of the german in6 you are operating and continue to be a proud bmw owner, able to modify it just as well, and keep a much better image.

·
Registered
45 Posts
E90_or_IS said:
325i

More nimble
Better transmissions (both manual and auto)
Smoother Engine
Fuel econ
Interior fits and finish
High tech stuffs

G35

Way more powerful
Bigger
A lot of options are standard

Verdict:

I will take E90 325i over G35 no doubt. I have hope for the next gen IS250 so I am not buying yet.
G35

very unbalanced
sounds like a cow running a derby
why settle for less quality?

325i

better balanced
you wont regret it
who ever goes japanese over german when money isn't a factor?

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
craigsbmw said:
The new Infiniti M35 is in the same price range as a loaded 330i its a little bigger but it seems to be a real sweet car and the M45 (V-8) trounced the 540i in the latest Car and Driver Luxo Test. I was all set on ordering a new E90 and giving my 325i to the wife but I cant live with the 700.00+ payments that they are asking right now. Test driving the M this Saturday to see if it will fit the bill.
For the record the Car test was in Road and Track not Car and Driver. Also for the record the 545i spanked the M45 in the performance categories despite being less powerful. And finally the reason the 545 lost was due to its price, looks, and i-drive. Heres a quote from the article: "As a pure sports sedan, the BMW still takes top honors. It remains the true driver's car, delivering the tightest handling, the most direct feedback and the biggest smiles." Sounds like the 545 hasnt lost its touch.

Heres the link from the test
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=2221&page_number=1

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't find the g35 sedan that attractive. Worse gas mileage too. If the audio matters at all to you, the BMW has a big advantage - the G35 "upgrade" is a Bose!!

"No highs, no lows . . . it must be BOSE!"

·
Registered
167 Posts
The simple solution is to drive both cars and compare. If you like one better than the other, that's your car. Who cares what other people or car magazines say?

I've driven both the G35 sedan and the E90 (325 and 330) with both a manual and automatic and with and without the sport package. Regardless of the setup, the E90 handled much better in my opinion. And the driving dymanics also felt superior on the BMW. For me, it comes down to the BMW just feeling of one piece. It feels more refined and more like a thoroughbred. I also test drove an Acura TL and came away with the same impression vis-a-vis the E90. Frankly, I wouldn't care if the Acura or Infiniti had better performance numbers because my visceral experience of the car is more important. I'm not against the Acura or Infiniti, I just found the BMW more compelling--enough to convince me to cover the cost difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Double Vanos said:
For the record the Car test was in Road and Track not Car and Driver. Also for the record the 545i spanked the M45 in the performance categories despite being less powerful. And finally the reason the 545 lost was due to its price, looks, and i-drive. Heres a quote from the article: "As a pure sports sedan, the BMW still takes top honors. It remains the true driver's car, delivering the tightest handling, the most direct feedback and the biggest smiles." Sounds like the 545 hasnt lost its touch.

Heres the link from the test
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=2221&page_number=1
Those that were referring to a Car and Driver article probably meant this one, where the M45, RL, E350, GS, A6, 530i, etc. were compared.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9391

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
In my testing, the G35 had absolutely no "soul". I never connected with the car. It felt like nothing more than a car. My BMW feels like a part of me, an extension of my desire to move.

To me, it all depends on how much you truely enjoy driving. I do, and Infiniti lost my money. Now, had they offered a Skyline GT-R...

(Who am I kidding, the wife would have said "NO!!!")

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definitely go drive them both - preferably on the same roads

I had the opportunity to drive an '05 G35 Sedan (6-speed) right before the new E90 at Flemington BMW/Infinit in NJ on the same roads. I had driven the G twice before (both auto w/sport pack and stick each time) and for some reason just couldn't bring myself to like the car. It was okay to drive. That's all. Just okay. For a car with 298 HP, it felt pretty damn slow. Handling was nice, but the driving experience just didn't enthuse me very much. I just can't explain it. Maybe it is mental, as I really don't care for the overall look of the car very much. I do have to say that the '05 has made a vast improvement on the interior of the G35 Sedan. quality looks to be much better than '03 and '04 models that I drove. Oh, and the clutch was absolutely horrible on the car. The clutch pedal "pops" on you right at the engagement point. Nice when power shifting but it made the car impossible to drive smoothly under normal conditions. Hell, the sales guy stalled the car twice just driving it across Rte. 202 to the parking lot where I took over. I didn't stall the car, but I couldn't believe how crappy the clutch felt on the car. No sense of control that you need in a sporty car.

But then I drove the new 330i with sport and the 6 speed on the same roads and what a different experience. There is no doubt that the BMW is the better handler, as well as the smoother ride. I will admit that the BMW was a little twitchier on the very bumpy/grooved country back roads I was on, but it didn't matter. The 330i suspension stayed much more planted through the turns, which in turn inspired a heck of a lot more confidence in the car.

I've really tried to force myself into liking the G35, as it the best "value" in it's class right now and is a very practical vehicle (must make the wife happy) with the exception of its crappy gas mileage. Hell, I had a lot more fun later in the day driving a new '05 Subaru Legacy GT stick over the same roads. Speaking of which, that is one fun car. The thing is a rocket! 4-wheel powerslides around dusty corners are fun (I wonder if the sales guy noticed the near glowing brakes and burning rubber smell from the tires when I returned the car to the lot - Flemington subaru lets you take the cars out solo - whoopie).

However, back to the point at hand - the 330i is one heck of a car. I have not yet driven the non sport E90 330, but will do so hopefully this weekend. I'm trying to hold off buying until the new Lexus IS350 is available. Kind of fell in love with the car at the NY auto show and am hoping against hope that it will price out around 37K without nav and all the other electronic garbage that I really don't need. Really shouldn't drop 43K on a car that I'll be putting 22K a year on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Double Vanos said:
Well they did mention the 540i(V8) not the 530, also i dont get how C&D compares a V8 against a I6? :dunno:
Maybe because when people go shopping for a car, the usually cross-shop cars that are in a similar class AND price range as opposed to cross-shopping the M45 with the 550i because BMW says we should even though the 550i is 10G's more than the M45.

Note: I don't know exact M45 and 550i pricing off the top of my head, the figure above is just thrown out as an example.

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
cwsqbm said:
... The 545i wasn't tested due to high price. M45 is nice, but I'd take a 330i, even for equal money.
I believe the 545i was tested in a Road&Track issue with the GS430 and M45. The M45 won.

Ed

·
m.potash
187 Posts
G35 Coupe VS BMW

I have a 2005 G35 Coupe 6mt. I previously had a 323Ci.

Just my opinion:

Pro G35: Cheaper, faster, better cockpit layout, much better standard items, (xenon,power heated seats, leather, 19" forged wheels and great base radio with a 6 CD changer,(I don't have the Bose).

Pro BMW: Better handling, smoother ride, much quieter ride, much better clutch, free maintenance.

After having the G35, I believe I would have been happier in a 2006 BMW 325. But for me, the deciding factor is that the G35 cannot carry 2 bikes while the BMW has roof attachment points for a rack. Yes, I can install a hitch on the G35, but it creates a situation where a slight rear hit would do great damage to the G35 undercarriage and a trunk rack damages the paint as there isn't a good place to support the feet of the trunk rack.

Yes, it is more for the money and, on paper, a better car then the BMW. But as to which to buy, it all depends on one's personal needs. Two great vehicles, but different.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts