BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been getting a red car on lift light on the dash when unlocking the car, which disappears after a couple of seconds after installing a new head unit, no messages are being displayed in the error messages on iDrive CCC. Not sure if it's linked but it could also be referring to a brake change as they're squeaking and nowhere near as sharp as my E61's.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,528 Posts
You need to read reliable literature (NOT Random Googles ;-) to correct your concepts of auto engineering.;) Your 2006 E9x IS a "Later Model". It HAS A TIMING CHAIN. Jaguar XK engines, introduced in late 40's (over 70 years ago) were DOHC (Double Overhead Cam) engines with Timing Chains. UNLESS you are EXTREMELY unlucky, you could probably get half a million miles from the original Timing Chain. Tensioners and guides on SOME BMW engines have been known to give problems, but I have NOT heard of any Timing Chain issues.

As for car on lift after unlocking, do you have Comfort Access? Do you put the Remote Key in the Insert Compartment to Activate Ignition? When the car is unlocked and Remote is inserted in Insert Compartment, that activates "Terminal R" which turns on the radio. I don't have CA, but that MAY activate Terminal R merely upon opening the door with CA Remote present. The warning light probably has something to do with EITHER Terminal R activation of the Radio, or when installing the Radio, you disconnected the forward CA Antenna.

Just a SWAG -- Do you have any CC-ID code? Do you have a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software such as INPA or ISTA which can read fault codes in ALL Modules, including CAS, MOST, Rad2, etc.?

And your Brakes squeaking, or braking NOT being "sharp" has nothing to do with the other issues. Have you examined your pads to see if inboard is thinner than outboard? Is there rust or pad deposits on either side of the rotor face/ swept area? When did you LAST change brake fluid, and what type is being run?
George

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You need to read reliable literature (NOT Random Googles ;-) to correct your concepts of auto engineering.;) Your 2006 E9x IS a "Later Model". It HAS A TIMING CHAIN. Jaguar XK engines, introduced in late 40's (over 70 years ago) were DOHC (Double Overhead Cam) engines with Timing Chains. UNLESS you are EXTREMELY unlucky, you could probably get half a million miles from the original Timing Chain. Tensioners and guides on SOME BMW engines have been known to give problems, but I have NOT heard of any Timing Chain issues.

As for car on lift after unlocking, do you have Comfort Access? Do you put the Remote Key in the Insert Compartment to Activate Ignition? When the car is unlocked and Remote is inserted in Insert Compartment, that activates "Terminal R" which turns on the radio. I don't have CA, but that MAY activate Terminal R merely upon opening the door with CA Remote present. The warning light probably has something to do with EITHER Terminal R activation of the Radio, or when installing the Radio, you disconnected the forward CA Antenna.

Just a SWAG -- Do you have any CC-ID code? Do you have a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software such as INPA or ISTA which can read fault codes in ALL Modules, including CAS, MOST, Rad2, etc.?

And your Brakes squeaking, or braking NOT being "sharp" has nothing to do with the other issues. Have you examined your pads to see if inboard is thinner than outboard? Is there rust or pad deposits on either side of the rotor face/ swept area? When did you LAST change brake fluid, and what type is being run?
George
Ok, I feel stupid now. Haha, thank you.

Comfort access is when you can unlock and start the car without using the key, right? it just has to be in close proximity. I don't believe I have that on, I do put the key into the insert for ignition. I did have to remove the entire iDrive system to install the new wiring harness, disconnecting the blue antenna and the black antenna, does the light mean I didn't plug it back in correctly? or if a fault codes comes up for it, it just needs clearing? I have a VGate iCar Pro that I can run scans with, will try scanning using Carly BMW.

Would I be able to find the light reasoning using the odometer button or BC button on the steering wheel stick. UPDATE: Tried the BC scrolling, nothing on faults and nothing on service.

I am going to check the pads tomorrow. UPDATE: Checked pads, fronts look old but a lot of meat left of them, rears also have decent amount but not as much. Might replace them anyway, would like for similar sharpness to my E61.

Thanks for the informative reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update, now the service menu in iDrive has reset, all the selections have an orange triangle and show "---- Miles".

For some reason iDrive seems to be having trouble gathering the data, does anyone know where the service interval data is stored? Maybe I didn't connect one of iDrive plugs correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Service menu is back, light seems to have something to do with the central locking it seems. It comes on when I first unlock the car and I also notice it came on when I shut the passenger side door just after a trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I think it has something to do with K-CAN communication, maybe I accidentally unplugged/damaged something on the wiring harness for it. The code below is new/since the android install.

00D947 - Anti-theft alarm: K-CAN communication fault

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just joined as I’ve just fitted an android unit to my 2008 e92 and get exactly the same error!

only started after fitting the android unit. I also noticed that when I unlock the car, the indicators don’t flash when the error appears.

did you have anymore luck sorting it?

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just joined as I’ve just fitted an android unit to my 2008 e92 and get exactly the same error!

only started after fitting the android unit. I also noticed that when I unlock the car, the indicators don’t flash when the error appears.

did you have anymore luck sorting it?

thanks
I know BimmerCode and Carly have options for unlocking/locking so maybe that might fix it or some different code will.

Thank you for your input!

Also, might as well ask, which unit did you purchase? and is your original CCC or CIC menu working through the new screen?

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey!

oh awesome! I turned them off on mine but the warning still appears - did you have to clear the codes after turning the lock/unlock confirmation off?

mines a CCC on my 2008 e92 335D, I bought this unit:

went for the 8 core one.

cheers!
Looks the exact same as mine. Same user interface too. I also went for the 8 core.

I unlocked my car earlier. The error still occurs.

Well at least two of us are in the same boat now, hopefully we can keep each other posted for any solutions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I spoke to the company I bought it from who suggested connecting the blue and blue/black positive/earth to the green ones to see if it fixed it - exactly the same unfortunately!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke to the company I bought it from who suggested connecting the blue and blue/black positive/earth to the green ones to see if it fixed it - exactly the same unfortunately!
A few things I've noticed in my case:

• Unlocking with physical key doesn't cause error.
  • If you unlock the car then sit in it for a while before entering the key into the ignition, the error will come up again once key is inserted, as well as service info having an error.
  • Once you turn the car off and leave it for a while, opening doors can cause the error to display.

I was thinking, because the new harness splits the wiring from the original power, maybe it causes a delay to the iDrive module which is why the error displays for a few seconds then causes no issues to the actual car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed with mine when I was hoovering it out that if you have the car unlocked it’ll randomly show the error/bong then disappear again after a second.

I’m going to return it soon I think if I can’t get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed with mine when I was hoovering it out that if you have the car unlocked it’ll randomly show the error/bong then disappear again after a second.

I’m going to return it soon I think if I can’t get to the bottom of it.
Replacing with another unit? or back to standard?

They can't all have this issues, I've seen loads of others have no issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh god yeah definitely another one, they’re great.

I’ve had them on previous BMW’s without issue, I’ll just have to buy from a more expensive supplier I guess!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you buy from AliExpress too?

Change of plan for me.. buyer pays return postage which to China is about £35!

I’ll have to carry on looking at options of fixing this error.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you buy from AliExpress too?

Change of plan for me.. buyer pays return postage which to China is about £35!

I’ll have to carry on looking at options of fixing this error.
I did, but i think mine has free returns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello from Germany.

In my E60 i have the same Problem since i installed the Android Display. Nobody can help me here.

Does anybody have a solution for the Problem ?

Exact the same Unit :LOL:

Thanks Marcel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts