BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new driver and in going to purchase a 328i next week, the first thing I wanna do is swap the rims, I'm looking at avante grande m359 or vmr v710s, I was wondering the largest rim I could get with low profile tires, I want it to be as flush as possible with out getting fenders rolled,

Any help would be great
Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
'largest rim'...is that Diameter, or is it Width that you want? ...to guide the replies from others to this thread.

Some things to think about, before you make a stupid move...

• Some folks go to 19"...if you drive perfect roads, you can do this. If you drive on typical U.S. roads, good luck not bending your rims out of round on potholes!!! Ride comfort suffers, as tire aspect ratio goes down.
  • As diameter goes up, WEIGHT of rims goes up, too. Using lower profile tires with bigger diameter wheels keeps the rolliing diameter about the same (so speedometer accuracy is not hurt), and the lower profile tire saves a bit of weight, but it does NOT save as much weight as the gain due to the wheel itself. That increase in unsprung weight HURTS acceleration, braking, and handling on anything but a perfect road surface!

Car and Driver did a test, and summarized in the end that 18" is about the optimal for acceleration, braking, lateral acceleration, and ride comfort.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Car and Driver did a test, and summarized in the end that 18" is about the optimal for acceleration, braking, lateral acceleration, and ride comfort.
Screw that! What looks best?? Ha ha! ;-)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just wanna know what's gonna look the best and not effect performance, I feel like aftermarket rims are lighter than bmws stock rims
As he said above 18". Sounds to me like you want 19" though...

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
All my cars are on 19's. 18's are prob better but I'm not trying to win any races with them:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.