BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading all the posts about people trying to remove the amber reflector, but they are all old. Has anyone been able to do this yet? On the X3, you can just buy the halogen housings, bake and replace them onto your xenon housings, and I am hoping you can do this with the e90. I am going to order a 2007 328xit, and I will want to have the clear reflector.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry folks, I meant to post this in the e90 forum

·
Registered
249 Posts
The reason people want to remove it is that it is plain UGLY. If it's ok in Europe to not have amber reflectors all over the cars there, it can't be that unsafe to remove the reflector here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
living in nj, id have to disagree with the whole "it cant be that unsafe to remove the reflector" ill be the first to admit that amber is ugly as.. well its really ugly, but man, id have airbags on the outside of my car if possible drivers suck that much here.

·
Registered
184 Posts
05Boxster said:
The reason people want to remove it is that it is plain UGLY. If it's ok in Europe to not have amber reflectors all over the cars there, it can't be that unsafe to remove the reflector here.
Hmmm not really buying that argument - just because it's OK in PA to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, doesn't mean you should (just ask Ben Roethlisberger). At least I just have the X3 with no reflectors to worry about in any case!

·
Registered
249 Posts
ChiefCrazyTalk said:
Hmmm not really buying that argument - just because it's OK in PA to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, doesn't mean you should (just ask Ben Roethlisberger). At least I just have the X3 with no reflectors to worry about in any case!
I gonna go out on a limb here and say that riding a motorcycle without a helmet and removing a 2 inch piece of amber plastic reflector are worlds apart in terms of being safe. I don't want to get into one of those annoying, I'm going to stand on a soapbox and tell you to be safe and WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!! whenever someone asks how to disable the chime type threads, but seriously. During the day the amber reflector would have next to no use at all because it's daylight out. At night, the amber bulb will be illuminated because the headlights would be on. If it's foggy, you should have your headlights and foglights on, so that negates that instance. Do you really think it makes that much of a difference?

·
Registered
184 Posts
05Boxster said:
I gonna go out on a limb here and say that riding a motorcycle without a helmet and removing a 2 inch piece of amber plastic reflector are worlds apart in terms of being safe. I don't want to get into one of those annoying, I'm going to stand on a soapbox and tell you to be safe and WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!! whenever someone asks how to disable the chime type threads, but seriously. During the day the amber reflector would have next to no use at all because it's daylight out. At night, the amber bulb will be illuminated because the headlights would be on. If it's foggy, you should have your headlights and foglights on, so that negates that instance. Do you really think it makes that much of a difference?
FYI, I was commenting on the falacy of the logic in both cases, not trying to equate the safety (or lack thereof) of riding without a helmet with removing the amber reflectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.