BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been thinking about buying an E90, drove the car (330i stick) great, but what turned me off was the engine bay - from the pictures, thought the engine cover was aluminum , turned out to be plastic, actually the entire engine bay was plastic, depressed, but will probably still buy one, wish the engine bay however did not remind me of my KIA.
:(
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
I hope you are not buying cars just for the look of their engine covers :eek:

Welcome to the Bimmerfest :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,668 Posts
I think you're absolutely correct, vortex...I too am considering a Kia, and I think it's a shame that the engine bays look so similar between the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex Baumann said:
I hope you are not buying cars just for the look of their engine covers :eek:

Welcome to the Bimmerfest :)
NO but my KIA was 15K thought the 40K+ 330i would look better under the hood. Great car , not complaigning to much ,BUT, how much extra would it cost BMW to get rid of the plastic, assume everyone would pay the extra, I know I would.

By the way dont think the older models had all the plastic, but not sure. Hope I dont get a story like its for the weight, thats was sort of lame on the spare tire issue. Dont think they worry that much between a full tank and an empy tank of gas for handling, and that more than the spare tire ( I think) , BUT I want one anyway , so will be placing the order tomorow. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
philippek said:
I think you're absolutely correct, vortex...I too am considering a Kia, and I think it's a shame that the engine bays look so similar between the two.
who is vortex ?????

KIA has a spare :rofl: BUT my 330i wont :cry:

Need two cars, never know which one will be inop. Getting silver 330i, stick, and terra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I'm sorry but why would you want the covers to be metal? Extra weight over the front end for what purpose?

You worried the plastics might melt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,695 Posts
BMWs have had plastic engine covers since the M50 in the 1991 5 series. But, in the past, they've been black and pretty unobtrusive. The latest Valvetronic engines have silver-colored engine covers that are more noticeable, and call attention to themselves. They are also a bit flimsier looking and feeling than the old black covers. I agree w/ you-- they should've done a better job. IF they couldn't do a quality job, they should'nt have made the covers so "flashY' and call attention to themselves. But, in the scheme of things, its a small thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
votex said:
Have been thinking about buying an E90, drove the car (330i stick) great, but what turned me off was the engine bay - from the pictures, thought the engine cover was aluminum , turned out to be plastic, actually the entire engine bay was plastic, depressed, but will probably still buy one, wish the engine bay however did not remind me of my KIA.
:(
I thought that engine covers were there for sound control as well as to mystify the novice about the components of the engine. While metal would be more "bling", it would do a poor job of sound sheilding.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
atsow said:
I thought that engine covers were there for sound control as well as to mystify the novice about the components of the engine. While metal would be more "bling", it would do a poor job of sound sheilding.

Alex
My .02 I would like to hear the engine myself , personal preference I guess. ACtually I was showing the engine of a 33oi to a friend of mine , he said it reminded him of a ford focus, I was ready to slam the hood on his head. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
robg said:
BMWs have had plastic engine covers since the M50 in the 1991 5 series. But, in the past, they've been black and pretty unobtrusive. The latest Valvetronic engines have silver-colored engine covers that are more noticeable, and call attention to themselves. They are also a bit flimsier looking and feeling than the old black covers. I agree w/ you-- they should've done a better job. IF they couldn't do a quality job, they should'nt have made the covers so "flashY' and call attention to themselves. But, in the scheme of things, its a small thing.
Agreed. think they should have done a better job and make it out of anything but flimsy plastic (hard plastic maybe) Guess my peeve was that the engine cover looks so nice in pictures and yes attracts attention, , then you get up to it and push on it and then go UGH. How many on this board have been asked to open the hood by people that want to see whats under it, and we get to show a nice shiny piece of flimsy plastic. I know its a very minor peeve , but then again maybe BMW will spruce up the engine bay someday :dunno:

But will still order it :thumbup:
 

·
TTSam
Joined
·
745 Posts
votex said:
Agreed. think they should have done a better job and make it out of anything but flimsy plastic (hard plastic maybe) Guess my peeve was that the engine cover looks so nice in pictures and yes attracts attention, , then you get up to it and push on it and then go UGH. How many on this board have been asked to open the hood by people that want to see whats under it, and we get to show a nice shiny piece of flimsy plastic. I know its a very minor peeve , but then again maybe BMW will spruce up the engine bay someday :dunno:

But will still order it :thumbup:
I saw an E90 3.0 engine torn apart for close up inspection at a recent Canadian BMW event. It's all big time machined metal underneath - a thing of beauty - quite impressive really.

The cover unfortunately hides all the raw beauty of the metal beneath. However it is only a cover - and it has nothing to do with performance...............
 

·
Gadget Freak
Joined
·
657 Posts
why would u want it to not be plastic? its light weight, and durable, and cheap!!

Metal would be heavy, and advanced meterieals would add hundreds if not thousands to your cars price tag.

Also most people that buy a 3 dont even open their hood mayb 3%-5% do to show it off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,837 Posts
philippek said:
I think you're absolutely correct, vortex...I too am considering a Kia, and I think it's a shame that the engine bays look so similar between the two.
Which one are you considering? I was thinking of dumping the Bimmer for a Spectra 5. The 8 spoke alloys are stunning. And the rear spoiler is standard, vs. an option for the Bimmer -- talk about cheap Bavarians. :(

Shoot, I can't stand it... :D :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Plastic is an ideal material for such things. I don't have a problem with it. It may also help to suppress some engine noise. True beauty definitely lies beneath it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wingspan said:
Which one are you considering? I was thinking of dumping the Bimmer for a Spectra 5. The 8 spoke alloys are stunning. And the rear spoiler is standard, vs. an option for the Bimmer -- talk about cheap Bavarians. :(

I have a new Spectra5 or Cerato5 (called Cerato5 in Europe and asia) other than its 8.7 sec 0 to 60 times (nothing great) , you would be shocked at what you get and the quality (excellent) for 16K - AC, all leather heated seats - 16inch alloys, good handling (did not say great) 6 airbags, great dash and gauges, MP3, and on and on. Great second car or even a first. Its supposed to hit 130MPH from a road test I read - but have not even come close to that.

But Im still waiting for my e90 - no flames please just telling it like it is. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
votex said:
wingspan said:
Which one are you considering? I was thinking of dumping the Bimmer for a Spectra 5. The 8 spoke alloys are stunning. And the rear spoiler is standard, vs. an option for the Bimmer -- talk about cheap Bavarians. :(

I have a new Spectra5 or Cerato5 (called Cerato5 in Europe and asia) other than its 8.7 sec 0 to 60 times (nothing great) , you would be shocked at what you get and the quality (excellent) for 16K - AC, all leather heated seats - 16inch alloys, good handling (did not say great) 6 airbags, great dash and gauges, MP3, and on and on. Great second car or even a first. Its supposed to hit 130MPH from a road test I read - but have not even come close to that.

But Im still waiting for my e90 - no flames please just telling it like it is. :thumbup:
That's it folks. I can't stand it ANYMORE. :mad: It is two weeks old. I hadn't even lifted the hood (lie). Plastic cover????

For sale: 2006 325i, manual, Blk ette, sport, cwp, Jet blk. It only has 1200 miles on it so somebody please pay me enough to by that dream Kia.

Please. Pretty please. I need that Kia in red. :bawling: What red? RED! That way I won't be able to notice the rust next fall.

I'm somewhat new here. Is that a flame> Cause I sure didn't mean it to be (lie).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aloyouis said:
That's it folks. I can't stand it ANYMORE. :mad: It is two weeks old. I hadn't even lifted the hood (lie). Plastic cover????

For sale: 2006 325i, manual, Blk ette, sport, cwp, Jet blk. It only has 1200 miles on it so somebody please pay me enough to by that dream Kia.

Please. Pretty please. I need that Kia in red. :bawling: What red? RED! That way I won't be able to notice the rust next fall.

I'm somewhat new here. Is that a flame> Cause I sure didn't mean it to be (lie).
Ignorance is bliss (or is it blind)

Only wish my comming E90 had this type of coverage.

http://www.gpkia.com/frameset1.asp?LINK=Guarantee&MAIN=guarantee_wildcard1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
I think the engine bay is pretty well designed, you can see the engineer's handiwork. As many items as possible are set back in the engine bay, e.g. the windshield washer bottle and the coolant expansion tank.

However, the air filter box is now secured by torx bolts, with tight clearances. Seems like changing the air filter is going to be a pain.

As for plastic items, unfortunately even the functional items that should be metal are now plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,695 Posts
WAM said:
As for plastic items, unfortunately even the functional items that should be metal are now plastic.
The e46 was pretty plasticized as well; so I doubt the e90 is worse in this regard.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top