BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
e90 Rear Foglight Mod - Detailed DIY w/ photos

Hi everyone. I thought I would start up a new thread to make searching easy.

There is no need to buy the European Switch to get your rear fog lights to work, unless you want to spend the $90 and you care about having the rear fog light logo on the button. If not, follow the steps below and you should have them working in a jiffy!

First, you want to take off the trim piece above the switch, it makes removing the switch much easier. Start on the side nearest the steering wheel (red arrow in 001.jpg) and please use something non-metallic so you don't wreck your trim. Be careful with the left side of the trim it's hard to get off - take it slow. Once it is off, it should look like 002.jpg.

003.jpg shows the blue holders where the pins go to grip the trim pieces - helpful to know where to pry.

Remove the electrical connector (004.jpg) by pressing down on the tab (arrow 1) and then flipping down the gray bar (arrow 2). Pull out the plug.

There are 4 tabs holding the switch into the trim. Press down on the tabs to release them (006.jpg) on both sides. Refer to 007.jpg.

Now remove the back of the switch housing by releasing the 6 tabs indicated by the arrows in 008.jpg. It comes straight off - refer to 010.jpg.

Once the back cover is off the switch housing, you'll see the circuit board (011.jpg). Grab onto the blue plastic (arrow 1) and slide it off the shaft (arrow 2).

Looking at the front of the circuit board, you can see the two nubs for the front fog lights on the top right and the two nubs for the rear fog lights on the bottom right. I'm pretty sure if someone was ambitious enough, they could make a split button that only depresses one of these nubs and you could turn on one of the lights instead of both. I'll let someone else try that.

See that white plastic piece in photo 012a.jpg? That is half the reason your US switch doesn't turn on the rear fog lights. There isn't one behind the rear fog light button to push the nubs on the circuit board. We'll fix that in a second.

You've got to get the bottom button out of the housing. It's held in by two tabs indicated by the red arrows in 013.jpg. From the outside edge of the button, move the tabs away in the direction of those arrows and pop the button out. This is much easier said/typed than done, but work at it carefully and you'll get it.

When the button is out, there will be four tabs located where the red circles are in 014.jpg. Cut these off with an X-acto knife or razor blade. Put the button back into the housing.

Now, if you've got a buddy who bought the European Switch, you could ask them if you can have the white plastic piece in their US Switch to put into yours. I wasn't that lucky, so I made my own substitute. I had a wire nut handy, and it was about the right size so I used that. Refer to 015.jpg - I cut the sides down to fit into the opening (arrow 1) and trimmed the top off so it was the right height. I determined the height by comparing it to my little white piece. Don't forget to add the nickel thickness as well (015b.jpg).

Place the white plastic piece back into the housing. Then insert the wire nut. (016.jpg)

Make sure the height of the nickel lines up with the height of the large area on the white piece (017.jpg) and you are set. Slide the circuit board back on the shaft and reverse all the other steps.

You need to turn on the front fog lights for the rear fog lights to work - either at the same time or front then rear. You should see the indicator lights for both in your dash display. Once the rear lights are on, you can turn off the front lights if you want and the rear lights will stay on.

Now you're good to go and you saved yourself $89.95 (assuming you've got a spare wire nut laying around!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The nickel button...pictures! Now there's proof!!

Thanks for the very detailed instructions and pictures! Very well done! :thumbup:

You should charge 5 cents to view this hee hee :D

·
owned
216 Posts
id be impressed if anyone acctually did this from those pctures

·
Feverish Fanatic
149 Posts
Just did it, works great :thumbup:. Instead of a nickel, I found that cutting up an old credit card to in the shape of a rectangle (with a small cutout just like the white plastic piece) works better for me.

For my car, at night with headlights on AUTO, I can turn just the rear fog lights on without turning on the front fog lights too, contrary to the OP's experience. :dunno: My front and rear fog lights trigger independently now.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,103 Posts
You don't always just get to look at the pictures. Sometimes you actually have to read, too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just did it, works great :thumbup:. Instead of a nickel, I found that cutting up an old credit card to in the shape of a rectangle (with a small cutout just like the white plastic piece) works better for me.

Nice! That's a good idea.

For my car, at night with headlights on AUTO, I can turn just the rear fog lights on without turning on the front fog lights too, contrary to the OP's experience. :dunno: My front and rear fog lights trigger independently now.
Cool! It might be different for different headlight settings, I'll check that out.

·
Feverish Fanatic
149 Posts
BTW, thanks for posting the detailed pics! I was all ready to order the Euro light switch from the dealer but then decided that I can do this DIY and save some $$.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hi everyone. I thought I would start up a new thread to make searching easy.

There is no need to buy the European Switch to get your rear fog lights to work, unless you want to spend the $90 and you care about having the rear fog light logo on the button. If not, follow the steps below and you should have them working in a jiffy!
First, let me compliment you on your efforts and the level of detail your provided in this thread. But, I would like to know how long your procedure takes. (BTW, I bought the Euro switch last year from Tischer for about $58. That, plus 15 minutes of my time got me hooked up).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First, let me compliment you on your efforts and the level of detail your provided in this thread. But, I would like to know how long your procedure takes. (BTW, I bought the Euro switch last year from Tischer for about $58. That, plus 15 minutes of my time got me hooked up).
The first time I did it, it took about 45 minutes. The hard part was figuring out how to get the button out of the housing and then actually getting it out to shave off the tabs. I would say the time is going to be variable depending upon how long it takes an individual to remove and disassemble the pieces.

P/N 61316932796 (which is the one I would need for my car) is listed at $102.60 right now on Tischer. Cool that you got yours for $58. But the point is with a little bit of time and some ingenuity, you can have rear fog lights without spending any money.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Took me about 45 minutes total. Would be able to do it a lot quicker if I needed to do it again, but on first try I was super careful and I had to run upstairs and log onto the DIY to see how to get the button out of the housing. Using the Dremel with a cut-off wheel save some time when rounding out and cutting down the wire nut.

If I had to do it again I would estimate about a twenty minute process from start to finish. (15 minutes to do the work plus 5 minutes for the super glue to dry)

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.