BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,227 Posts
Please suggest me the fluid used in E90 325i GA6L 45R Automatic transmission or its equivalent oil
FIRST: make sure your 325i Actually has the GM6 transmission. I don't know about the Rest of the World, but the 325i sold in US had the ZF 6HP19 AT.

GM6 AT has separate filter and pan gasket (~ $40US) while the ZF requires replacement of the plastic pan. The GM uses Dexron VI (NOT Dexron III). ZF uses different fluid. BEFORE ordering parts or fluid, remove the splash shield and examine the transmission for pan material, shape and identifying labels. The manufacturer label/tag is on the Left side of the transmission case, and the GM6 has a Fluid ID Label next to the Drain Plug.

As with anything else related to the vehicle, DETAILS Matter, and I would suggest referring to Bentley Manual (Searchable PDF can be downloaded from site below). ALL is made clear by reference to Section 240, Automatic Transmission:

George

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I like Valvoline Full Syn Dex VI (6) as I get it for $2/quart.

Redline is my second choice if I'm feeling generous.
Valvoline is unfortunately not regarded among general population as top notch product, which absolutely it is. Their gear oils are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts