Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my understanding with my sales assistant, there should be a "holder (don't know how to say it in good English)" for my cellular, so it would charge the battery and use the car as an antenna.

How do I get such holder?
How much does it cost?

It can be bought after you get the car right? (I got bluetooth in the car if that is important)

I'll get the car within 4 (extremely long) weeks.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
danny1985 said:
In my understanding with my sales assistant, there should be a "holder (don't know how to say it in good English)" for my cellular, so it would charge the battery and use the car as an antenna.

How much does it cost?

It can be bought after you get the car right? (I got bluetooth in the car if that is important)

it is a docking cradle and I have one for my motorola e815. it isn't standard (at least in the US) and will require you to buy three components, the trim molding, the baseplate, the charging adapter. All 3 you can get for around225-250 through pacific bmw. I got mine installed for 190 although beware I checked with 5 other dealerships and all the others wanted 300-449 just for the install!

IMO this isn't a mandatory option but I like it for I just keep my cell in my car all the time. It is my first cell phone ever and I hvae it for my convience not for everyone to get a hold of me at any minute in the day.

·
Registered
868 Posts
what the... that is very expensive if you ask me. i thought it would be around 80 or so

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The V3 is so small I leave it in my pocket. Though I can see the benefit to a charger on a long trip (or if you're long winded).

·
Registered
89 Posts
danny1985 said:

How much does it cost?

Since it's an after-market accessory, just wait and see how you like the bluetooth connection without the cradle. I'm very happy with the performance of my motorola v720 using bluetooth without using the external antenna. You can always use a standard cigarette lighter charger for power, if you need to.

·
Ik hou van Holland...
5,226 Posts
Penforhire said:
The V3 is so small I leave it in my pocket. Though I can see the benefit to a charger on a long trip (or if you're long winded).
I just got the Razr too, so in normal home - office trips it won't be using a lot of power when I use it connecting with BT through the car...? Or should I just hook it up to the charger...

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
MG67 said:
I just got the Razr too, so in normal home - office trips it won't be using a lot of power when I use it connecting with BT through the car...? Or should I just hook it up to the charger...
without the phone connected either to the cradle or a car charger the phone's battery is being used more by being connected to the car's bluetooth. I certainly don't know a percentage but perhaps someone knows the specifics of how much quicker the phone's battery will wear down being connected to the car's bluetooth without a power source.

·
Registered
89 Posts
schley said:
without the phone connected either to the cradle or a car charger the phone's battery is being used more by being connected to the car's bluetooth. I certainly don't know a percentage but perhaps someone knows the specifics of how much quicker the phone's battery will wear down being connected to the car's bluetooth without a power source.
That depends on the phone, certainly. I've done several trips from NY to Toronto (about 9 hrs) with my motorola v720 connected via bluetooth, using the phone a few times along the way, and I've never needed to connect it to the charger en route. Maintaining the bluetooth connection seems to cause minimal battery drain. If you're happy with the quality of the connection without the external antenna, then I'd skip the cradle and just use a charging cable when necessary.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I leave my phone (Motorola V551) on all day, turning it off when I'm home for the evening. I have the Bluetooth connection constantly on, even when not in the car. I get run down by the end of the second day or in the third. ("Run down" meaning I see a battery drainage icon, but not all the way off.)

I don't want to bother turning the Bluetooth connection on and off.

I just upgraded to my RAZR V3 (Black). I'll be interested to see if the battery life is different.

I did notice that my phone's address book isn't accessible using my phone through iDrive. I'm not sure if I'll have to re-program the numbers (they're on the SIMM already from when it was in the V551). Failing that, I've lost a useful feature (dialing from my address book). Perhaps I'll try programming numbers through the iDrive?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Staszek said:
Why bother the E90 has a power adapter in the consol, just charge it with that and use the bluetooth to use the phone.
If the BlueTooth in V3 does not drain down battery that fast, then why bother. Otherwise, it is better to have the phone charging while inside the car. The other way aournd the battery problem is to get a cigarette adapter to charge the phone inside the car.

Ching-Ho Cheng

·
Registered
123 Posts
KevinC said:
The pictures in this link are copied from the post (by Stream) in this forum (5-series). It is already available for E60. When I got the snap-in adapter, the manual said that it works for 3-series too.

E90 may not need a base plate as shown in above link. E90 definitely need the eject box and the adapter. E60 needs all 3 parts. I got the adapter from ebay.de as it is back order from US dealer. The price for the adapter including 3-days shipping (Germany to US) was about $150. The eject box was $117 (excluded shipping) from Circle BMW in NJ.

Therefore, for E90, total cost is about $270.

Ching-Ho Cheng

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
lcc014 said:
The pictures in this link are copied from the post (by Stream) in this forum (5-series). It is already available for E60. When I got the snap-in adapter, the manual said that it works for 3-series too.

E90 may not need a base plate as shown in above link. E90 definitely need the eject box and the adapter. E60 needs all 3 parts. I got the adapter from ebay.de as it is back order from US dealer. The price for the adapter including 3-days shipping (Germany to US) was about $150. The eject box was $117 (excluded shipping) from Circle BMW in NJ.

Therefore, for E90, total cost is about $270.

Ching-Ho Cheng
The eject box isn't that the same as the baseplate? I have a motorola e815 and think that the eject box you are referring to is in place of or the same as the baseplate I purchased and the adapter snaps into. I also had to get the trim molding piece.

·
Registered
123 Posts
schley said:
The eject box isn't that the same as the baseplate? I have a motorola e815 and think that the eject box you are referring to is in place of or the same as the baseplate I purchased and the adapter snaps into. I also had to get the trim molding piece.
There may be some mis-understanding in terms of the terminology.

The eject box is the one with TCU imprinted.
Base plate is the one that screws in the arm rest with Torx screws (trim ?) Eject box sit on the the base plate.
The snap-in adapter is the one we plug our phone into. It varies depending on phone model.

Hope I describe it better this time...

Ching-Ho Cheng

1 - 17 of 17 Posts