BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if anyone has asked this already. But I had an oil change 4 days ago, just today my 2011 323i started making a humming, I refer to it as an electronic sewing machine noise when I'm at an idle and at low rpm. It seems as though the noise goes away once I've hit 70-80 km/hr and at that speed I'm running at 2000 rpm now which I think is normal. Does anyone know why my car would be making this type of noise at an Idle and at low speeds?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's not a tick. It's like a humming/revving sound. Like the sound it makes when you accidentally shift at a higher gear so your rpm shoot way up, but the rpm gauge isn't shooting up higher than normal. It sounds like my rpm gauge should be really high when I'm driving slow but they aren't. But that's the type of noise

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Might be a pulley issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, it's not a tick. It's like a humming/revving sound. Like the sound it makes when you accidentally shift at a higher gear so your rpm shoot way up, but the rpm gauge isn't shooting up higher than normal. It sounds like my rpm gauge should be really high when I'm driving slow but they aren't. But that's the type of noise
I have the same issue and everything is pointing towards a stretched timing chain or vans solenoids seals. I and getting both sorted - modified tensioner to start for the chain and then the o rings for the vanos. :thumbup:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had a similar issue. When I changed my coil. I took the cabin air filter cowling and harness apart again (it runs across the engine near the windshield) and reset it and that seemed to resolve the issue. I think these parts could resonate a bit with engine RPM and amplify the sound.

Did they check / replace your cabin air filter? If so this may be it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts