BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here

I have a 2009 E90 with 58,000 miles. Whenever I am sitting in the car just idling with the AC on, the car goes into a limp mode with the half yellow check engine light appearing in the dash and the car jolts/bumps. the moment I shut it off, the half yellow check engine light goes away.

I brought the car to my local mechanic and his computer will not directly say what it is only reading P1030. From my research, it appears to be the valetronic motor. However, i don't see anyone with the similar problem that I'm experiencing. I've seen other people get this similar message while driving. This never happens while I"m driving.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

thanks,

·
Registered
70 Posts
From my experience with my mechanic for other cars they have two types of code readers - one that gives the over view or the number and the more expensive reader that tells what the possible problems are. My guy tells me that the more advanced reader is expensive so maybe your guy has the lower version?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my experience with my mechanic for other cars they have two types of code readers - one that gives the over view or the number and the more expensive reader that tells what the possible problems are. My guy tells me that the more advanced reader is expensive so maybe your guy has the lower version?
Yeah, his more expensive reader didn't pick up any codes on my car but the cheaper older one did which pulled out code P1030. car is still in the mechanic, he's a buddy of mine but he isn't making any promises this issue will go away. Really don't want to bring the car to the dealer but in the end if this doesn't get fixed, i might have to.

I'm just perplexed on how this issue only happens when the AC is on. I saw some other people have this issue but no one responded to them so I'm hoping that someone who had this issue in the past will respond. Crossing my fingers

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update.

I spoke to my mechanic and his more expensive reader wont pick up the codes for my car or other E90 models. It's possible that the software he has went bad. His cheaper reader actually picked up the P1030 code but he doesn't want to do anything to the car. my only option is at this point go to BMW and have them diagnose it which will run $155 which is complete BS.

Hoping someone can reply with this similar issue with the AC on and idling that half yellow engine light went on.

thanks,

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just an update.

I spoke to my mechanic and his more expensive reader wont pick up the codes for my car or other E90 models. It's possible that the software he has went bad. His cheaper reader actually picked up the P1030 code but he doesn't want to do anything to the car. my only option is at this point go to BMW and have them diagnose it which will run $155 which is complete BS.

Hoping someone can reply with this similar issue with the AC on and idling that half yellow engine light went on.

thanks,
Just went through something similar with my 2011 328i. Limp mode after cold start with A/C on. Once I got it running the car would run fine until another cold start.

Had multiple codes for valvetronic. Initially replaced the valvetronic motor, but still had the same issue. Finally replaced the eccentric shaft sensor, and no more rough idle or half engine lights!

Apparently, most of these codes are due to oil getting into the internals of the eccentric shaft sensor. However, replacing the valvetronic motor is a lot easier than replcing the stupid sensor which requires taking the valve cover off. If you want to try a good used valvetronic motor, I'll sell my used one for $85 shipped to the contiguous 48. PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just went through something similar with my 2011 328i. Limp mode after cold start with A/C on. Once I got it running the car would run fine until another cold start.

Had multiple codes for valvetronic. Initially replaced the valvetronic motor, but still had the same issue. Finally replaced the eccentric shaft sensor, and no more rough idle or half engine lights!

Apparently, most of these codes are due to oil getting into the internals of the eccentric shaft sensor. However, replacing the valvetronic motor is a lot easier than replcing the stupid sensor which requires taking the valve cover off. If you want to try a good used valvetronic motor, I'll sell my used one for $85 shipped to the contiguous 48. PM me if you want it.
Thanks for the reply man. Really Appreciate it. Just a quick question, when you did the valvetronic and eccentric shaft sensor, did you have to perform a relearn? If so, is it something relatively easy to do or do I have to bring it to the dealer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply man. Really Appreciate it. Just a quick question, when you did the valvetronic and eccentric shaft sensor, did you have to perform a relearn? If so, is it something relatively easy to do or do I have to bring it to the dealer?
Please shoot me a text 9045549706 regarding the 85$ valvetronic motor pls. I am interested in it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did mine. it is not that hard, but it is time consuming. took me about 7 hours. i am sure I could do it in 5 hours if do it again. just watch the video I linked below, you will get a idea what you will have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV6slQsuZwk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts