BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently purchased a pre-owned 2007 BMW 328xi sedan. I have 2 electronic Smart Keys, but I don't have any "old fashioned" physical keys. They may come in handy for the door, trunk and especially the glovebox.

I assume my local BWM dealer (Baron BMW here in the KC MO area) can get replacement keys. Does anyone know how expensive this might be? Has anyone ever purchased physical keys after a used BMW purchase?

Thanks!

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
The old fashion keys are no longer available, because they are put inside the keyfob. Push the button on the end of the key fob and pull.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, can I lock the glovebox but still have the 4 doors unlocked? Im concerned about valets, nosy friends, etc. Id prefer to keep the glovebox locked - even when Im in the car...unless needed.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Not only can the glove compartment be locked separately, but there is a switch inside it to lock the trunk. You then remove the "integrated" key before handing the remote fob to a parking attendant and neither trunk nor glove compartment can be opened. See the owner's manual for more info.

Of course, since the trunk keyhole has since been deleted (2010?), unlocking the trunk with the key only applies to earlier models - such as the OP's '07.

Unfortunately, the old "emergency" plastic keys are not available for the E90. A replacement key fob must be ordered through a dealer and will cost at least $150~$200 - more if you have Comfort Access.

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh! Cool! Thanks. I get it now. I didn't realize thy the electronic Smart Key had a removable physical key inside it! I'm a BMW noob!

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
Is there any way to get a duplicate physical key for the glovebox? (Without paying $500 for a duplicate CA remote.)

I exercise at lunchtime and I'd like to leave my wallet in the glovebox. (I've been driving my "beater" down to the beach but the BMW is old enough that I'm not worrying about the salt as much as I did.)

Removing the key from the fob to lock and unlock the glovebox is awkward and doing this every day for years every day for a few years might lead to the fob breaking or wearing out.

I have an alarm, my worry is a smash-n-grab if I leave the glovebox unlocked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not only can the glove compartment be locked separately, but there is a switch inside it to lock the trunk. You then remove the "integrated" key before handing the remote fob to a parking attendant and neither trunk nor glove compartment can be opened. See the owner's manual for more info.

Of course, since the trunk keyhole has since been deleted (2010?), unlocking the trunk with the key only applies to earlier models - such as the OP's '07.

Unfortunately, the old "emergency" plastic keys are not available for the E90. A replacement key fob must be ordered through a dealer and will cost at least $150~$200 - more if you have Comfort Access.

Tom
I recently got myself a valet key from my dealer which was $60 bucks and change as a backup. I'ts a plastic empty fob and a key inside!:) (2 parts)

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
I recently got myself a valet key from my dealer which was $60 bucks and change as a backup. I'ts a plastic empty fob and a key inside!:) (2 parts)
Thanks. I'll try my dealer. ($60 seems steep for just a key -- but still better than $500!)

·
Registered
8,080 Posts

Tom
I received a plastic wallet key with my E90. I insert the key into a fob found in my glovebox.

You are right in that they do not provide these keys with later models but they did come with early build E9x.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I had the phony fob in my glovebox

I had the phony fob in my glovebox .
It cost me 50 bucks to get the key , very useful for surfing
and windsurfing as its waterproof.
It an 06 I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make you one
and provide a phony fob.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unfortunately, the old "emergency" plastic keys are not available for the E90.
Not true for earlier E90's: I got a new "plastic" emergency key from my dealer two weeks ago for $67 after providing a copy of my registration and driver's license (a replacement "integrated" metal key for the remote FOB was only $50). Adapter to allow key to plug into starting slot in order to start the car was $14 (I only realized after the fact that no proof of ownership and identity is needed since the transponder is embedded in the plastic key itself, so the adapter could be ordered cheaper online). This adapter is what snugly fits into the irregularly shaped holder on the left side of the glove box (many people mistakenly believe this is supposed to hold a now discontinued BMW mini LED flashlight).

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
Not true for earlier E90's: I got a new "plastic" emergency key from my dealer two weeks ago for $67 after providing a copy of my registration and driver's license (a replacement "integrated" metal key for the remote FOB was only $50). Adapter to allow key to plug into starting slot in order to start the car was $14 (I only realized after the fact that no proof of ownership and identity is needed since the transponder is embedded in the plastic key itself, so the adapter could be ordered cheaper online). This adapter is what snugly fits into the irregularly shaped holder on the left side of the glove box (many people mistakenly believe this is supposed to hold a now discontinued BMW mini LED flashlight).
That's what I learned today from my dealer's parts department. There is a plastic wallet key available plus an adapter to put the key into the slot so you can use it to actually start the car. The alternative is just a replacement metal key for the lock which is the oddball shape to fit in the fob and with my luck I'd stab myself with it. I'm told that people have used the plastic keys for years and that they don't wear too much and still work okay....

I hadn't realized that the microchip was in the key itself. I learn something new all the time!

So I ordered the plastic key and the adapter. The cost was about $71 with the BMWCCA discount, IIRC. I needed to provide a copy of my DL and registration. As noted above, this is a great solution for those driving their cars to the beach who don't want to leave the remote behind when they go into the water.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
Update -- I picked up the plastic key and adapter today and all works exactly as advertised.

The plastic wallet key will lock the glovebox. Snapped into the adapter, it will start the car.

I don't know what it says about BMW's customer base, but for $71 and change I can now do something I've been able to do with every other car I own, for free, and I'm very happy about being able to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts