BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to purchase a 330i. It looks like a fair amount of people on this board have taken delivery of a 325 or 330. Anyone have any issues or problems yet, have not seen any real problems posted yet , or maybe its to soon. Have read you cant measure the oil level anymore (no dipstick) is that true , sound crazy to me, any other dumb stuff going on that we should know about.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
The cars that have been delivered are not even one month old. You should check in 3 months or so ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant wait 3 months - I'm dying to order it (told my order will take a few months to get ) BUT have minor reservations on reliability.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think threads that ask a question should have a question mark in their titles.

This thread's title implies that you know of some E90 problems and would like to share them.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
2blue4u said:
I cant wait 3 months - I'm dying to order it (told my order will take a few months to get ) BUT have minor reservations on reliability.
what do you want us to do? :dunno:
The cars are too new and you don't want to wait... :confused:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
The cars that have been delivered are not even one month old. You should check in 3 months or so ;)
One week in some cases. ;) Just as reliable as my E46 so far and I expect it to be. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
261 Posts
OT: mini rant

Will_325i said:
I think threads that ask a question should have a question mark in their titles.
Word.

/start minirant

I think in general we could all do a better job of making our questions and comments clear (on this board and just about every other forum out there). We all hate it when someone posts a common question without searching first, but in all fairness if i do a search and i get a list of threads with titles like: "a couple of questions" , "please help me" , "What do you think" and "check this out". it's a bit of a pain to sort through it all.

/end mimirant

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will_325i said:

This thread's title implies that you know of some E90 problems and would like to share them.
Hmmm - well guess my punctuation was not up to your standards, but much more important to me than puctuation, is, will the E90 reliabilty be up to my standards :dunno:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, a couple of guys are having problems here in Spain with the diesel (320d), to be precise complete loss of power, they seem to be the same issues some people had with the 320d E46, but the dealer is not very sure, electronics, turbocharger, they're just changing parts to fix it :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with the gsoline versions delivered here in Spain, at least the ones I've heard from in a BMW Spanish forum (www.bmwfaq.com).

So it seems you can order your car safely ;)

Bye from Spain.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Wow, lots to comment on with no basis in facts (in other words, a typical bimmerfest thread respose :) ).

Blue - welcome to the 'fest! Please post your experience and include pictures. Hope you enjoy the car!

I think the dipstick issue is pretty much $$ driven - the "average" driver just does not check their oil these days - I would guess less than 1% of drivers, maybe less. So just not economically justifiable. (Of course that argument fails when you consider how much time they spend on the engine cover designs these days -- I think the only reason they make them so attractive is so that the owner can raise the hood and gaze knowlingly into the engine compartment to impress their friends - but without a clue of where the brake fluid reservoir is.)

Will-san - tend to agree. I cringe at the boy racer/text message post - "u car is da bomb when will u get ur new pipes for ur ride?" but this is probably just a sign of my advancing geezer-hood.

Just slightly on topic, I would expect the E90 to be a driver's delight overall but suffer from some systemic problem or two. Given the ever increasing feature count vs. advances in manufacturing engineering I should think overall reliability would be similar to an E46 i.e. not much change. It isn't going to be a Lexus (insert lively debate on country of origin/manufacture here, citing Consumer Reports, anecdotal evidence, and so on) but then again it ain't going to drive like it either. ;)

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
2blue4u said:
Hmmm - well guess my punctuation was not up to your standards, but much more important to me than puctuation, is, will the E90 reliabilty be up to my standards :dunno:
You missed the question mark again. :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
2blue4u said:
I've had 4 BMWs and no major problems with any of them. The two 3 Series cars were both absolutely problem-free. Any car can be a lemon, but I am comfortable with getting another.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
wingspan said:
Wow, lots to comment on with no basis in facts (in other words, a typical bimmerfest thread respose :) ).
Excuse me, but what facts were you expecting to be presented? My "3 months" response was an exaggeration and I'd hoped that he would understand what I was trying to say, but apparently, he didn't. The cars are new, they haven't even been broken in.

There are problems that occur very seldom on a very few number of cars, the manufacturer swaps the part on a warranty basis.

And there are problems that occur so often that it indicates a manufacturing flaw and a service bulletin is issued.

Time and sample data is going to determine whether there's a reliability issue on certain parts.

When we are at it, what do you think, how reliable will be the next 3 Series? ;)

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Excuse me, but what facts were you expecting to be presented? My "3 months" response was an exaggeration and I'd hoped that he would understand what I was trying to say, but apparently, he didn't. The cars are new, they haven't even been broken in.

There are problems that occur very seldom on a very few number of cars, the manufacturer swaps the part on a warranty basis.

And there are problems that occur so often that it indicates a manufacturing flaw and a service bulletin is issued.

Time and sample data is going to determine whether there's a reliability issue on certain parts.

When we are at it, what do you think, how reliable will be the next 3 Series? ;)
Alex - No no no; this was a slip of the keyboard: I meant my response had no basis in facts i.e. my response was a typical bimmer fest. Guess the joke fell flat. :( Apologies. :beerchug:

Certainly agree need to give more time for worldwide response.

I saw one on the A303 this morning, could not tell what model. TiAG, looked ok but it was raining pretty hard. I noticed it had an odd black plate with white Arial type face letters - Dnnnnn nn or similar. Spanish maybe?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
wingspan said:
Alex - No no no; this was a slip of the keyboard: I meant my response had no basis in facts i.e. my response was a typical bimmer fest. Guess the joke fell flat. :( Apologies. :beerchug:

Certainly agree need to give more time for worldwide response.

I saw one on the A303 this morning, could not tell what model. TiAG, looked ok but it was raining pretty hard. I noticed it had an odd black plate with white Arial type face letters - Dnnnnn nn or similar. Spanish maybe?
Oops, then please accept my apology :beerchug:

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
IIRC, the engines and trannies have been out for over a year in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong Alex). I have not heard of any significant problems to date for the powertrain. Obviously the chassis is all new, but most of the electrics are similar in form (if not construction) to the 5 series. By BMW standards, those have been fairly robust right out of the box.

And BMW did score VERY high on the most recent JD Power IQS, so I'd say on the whole it's fairly safe bet to be an early adopter of the E90.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts