BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting the 2007 e90 328i. I currently own an e46 2003 330i. The reliability since the beginning of ownership has been terrible. How is the reliability of e90, and how many unscheduled visits have been made to the dealer within the first year of ownership?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, before my E90 got rear-ended :cry: , I had only two complaints - the B pillar ticking sound on both sides and a small separation in the rear window seal. No other issues in 1 year of ownership. I was planning to get those two issues taken cared of at the dealership once my one-year service appointment came up. IMHO, I don't think the new BMW's are as well put together (quality-wise) as some of the Japanese makes, but they aren't like awful or shoddy or anything. You get the odd issue here and there, but nothing serious so far for me anyway. I think the overall driving experience more than makes up for the niggling shortcomings, but then again, as someone who'd paid a lot of good money for my rides, I truly wish that BMW could be as anal-retentive as some of the fine souls on this forum. :)

Hope this helps.

cheers,
suntan

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
alex_msu said:
I am considering getting the 2007 e90 328i. I currently own an e46 2003 330i. The reliability since the beginning of ownership has been terrible. How is the reliability of e90, and how many unscheduled visits have been made to the dealer within the first year of ownership?
I had an 03 330 vert that I drove for 3 years. Never had any issues. What kind of problems did you have? :dunno:

·
Registered
264 Posts
3 series seems to be much better off than the 5 series... DSC/AWD, steering sensors, run flats, etc... I think the 3 seems to be the way to go. As long as you get the german, not the african version of the car.. Cannot vouch for the 3's made in africa

·
Registered
44 Posts
problems with my 06 325i

Hey I have about 13K on my car and its pretty much been reliable. I heard a bang from the rear end last month and it had to do with a bad call in my battery so they replaced it. Other than the service bulletin to do a software update on my car its been pretty fabulous! Go get one!

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
sbb said:
3 series seems to be much better off than the 5 series... DSC/AWD, steering sensors, run flats, etc... I think the 3 seems to be the way to go. As long as you get the german, not the african version of the car.. Cannot vouch for the 3's made in africa
Actually, the South Africa plant generally has a reputation for better quality than the German ones.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets see not including the recalls for coils and engine wiring harness:

sunshade was fixed 3 times, the driver's door seal fixed twice, cluth replaced at
20k, transmission was replaced 3 times (4th gear was sticking in the original, both second and third transmissions were defective straight from the factory), cd player replaced. Personally I think this car is lemon, but there is nothing I could have done, since most of these problems happened after the 2 year lemon law limitation period.

I probably will be getting a german built car, since I'be doing an ED.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
alex_msu said:

sunshade was fixed 3 times, the driver's door seal fixed twice, cluth replaced at
20k, transmission was replaced 3 times (4th gear was sticking in the original, both second and third transmissions were defective straight from the factory), cd player replaced. Personally I think this car is lemon, but there is nothing I could have done, since most of these problems happened after the 2 year lemon law limitation period.

Wow, that sucks. I never had a BMW give me that much grief although I am sure some get some bad cars from time to time.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
alex_msu said:

Was your build date around Octoberfest? :angel:

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
alex_msu said:
e90 330i that's 4 months old:

AC has stopped working twice.
Comfort Access seems to work when it wants to.

I have not taken the car to the dealer for these issues. Knowing my experience with my last BMW and BMW dealers, they will not fix the problems and probably won't even try to.

It's the price we pay to drive a BMW...fun cars, terribly engineered, poorly supported.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, Octoberfest 2002!

·
Bimmer Dreamer
514 Posts
Outside of replacing 2 tires(one at dealer expense, one at mine) we have had ZERO problems. (12k miles so far) We absolutely love our car!:thumbup:

·
Bimmer Dreamer
514 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
It's the price we pay to drive a BMW...fun cars, terribly engineered, poorly supported.
Sorry Blueguy, but I beg to differ...See above post:thumbup:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
mscamp said:
Outside of replacing 2 tires(one at dealer expense, one at mine) we have had ZERO problems. (12k miles so far) We absolutely love our car!:thumbup:
5 BMW's since 1997.

Dealer repairs? Maybe 10 for all 5 cars.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
mscamp said:
Sorry Blueguy, but I beg to differ...See above post:thumbup:
I get people get BMWs without problems. Of course all my family, friends and coworkers with e46s, e90s, M3s, e39s and 7 series have experienced something other than reliability.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
I am now approaching 30k and one year at the end of the month. I have had very limited problems with the car. The only issues were software updates that I can think of off the top of my head. The ticking in the B pillar was present but fixed and is no longer an issue on the newer cars since the new washers are being used during production.... all in all things are going well. I would still like to see the long term reliability on this engine block with the use of 2 different metals that expand quite differently??? One more year left and then I will get the 335 one version or another. I will be in Munich in a week to go drinking but no car :( I tempted to see if they had one in the "pool" for ED but the better half will not go for that! Best of luck and just remember to spec your car the way you want it... it is your car!:thumbup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Who buys BMW for reliability........

Passenger Airbag sensor under the seat was FRIED.....parts ordered from Germany.
Car was in the shop for 10 days - Chrysler 300 loaner.

You want great reliability cars.....LEXUS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
NaTuReB0Y said:
Who buys BMW for reliability........

Passenger Airbag sensor under the seat was FRIED.....parts ordered from Germany.
Car was in the shop for 10 days - Chrysler 300 loaner.

You want great reliability cars.....LEXUS.
So true.

Too bad the IS350 disappointed me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts