BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody in the Toronto area was invited to the abandoned Downsview Airport to test drive the new E90?

I hear they setup a track and I don't know any other details... has anybody been to this? What should I expect?

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, when are you booked to go?

I attended the 2-4pm session last Sunday. Holy smokes was it fun to wring the car around a closed circuit course. You can expect a brief 20min "in class" session for a run down on the new improvements/technologies of the e90. Following that are a few orientation laps with a "course instructor" and then the rest of the time rotating seat time with other attendees.

The course itself is lined with pylons and chalk lines. You get a variety of driving situations and signage with recommended speeds. Track marshals are on hand in case you veer off path or wipe out any pylons. Highlights of the track include a nice straight away where you reach 80km/h (or more if you're inclined) followed by extremely heavy breaking.

I really appreciated the variety of cars 325i/330i, auto/manual, complete with sport/non-sport dressings. A few were out-fitted with active steering and some came complete with Navi. To boot, I believe all exterior colour options were available.

All in all, it felt like a short 2-hours but it did re-affirm just how much fun is packed into a 330i with Sport Pkg.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'm getting really excited. I'm booked to go today after work.... can't wait! :)

the*saint* said:
Hi, when are you booked to go?

I attended the 2-4pm session last Sunday. Holy smokes was it fun to wring the car around a closed circuit course. You can expect a brief 20min "in class" session for a run down on the new improvements/technologies of the e90. Following that are a few orientation laps with a "course instructor" and then the rest of the time rotating seat time with other attendees.

The course itself is lined with pylons and chalk lines. You get a variety of driving situations and signage with recommended speeds. Track marshals are on hand in case you veer off path or wipe out any pylons. Highlights of the track include a nice straight away where you reach 80km/h (or more if you're inclined) followed by extremely heavy breaking.

I really appreciated the variety of cars 325i/330i, auto/manual, complete with sport/non-sport dressings. A few were out-fitted with active steering and some came complete with Navi. To boot, I believe all exterior colour options were available.

All in all, it felt like a short 2-hours but it did re-affirm just how much fun is packed into a 330i with Sport Pkg.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ask your dealer (The event for dealers' customers were started last week) and/or register the new 3 web site (started last weekend). It will send you register info if it is still available and if the event is still going... As I said, if you know the time, you DON'T have to register.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks IC.....is the location the same place where the BMW driver training courses take place? I plan to just show up without registering....will that be a problem if the session become full?

·
Registered
507 Posts
astroboy180 said:
Thanks IC.....is the location the same place where the BMW driver training courses take place? I plan to just show up without registering....will that be a problem if the session become full?
Downsview Park: Carl Hall Road, Downsview Airport.

When I went there last week, they don't check my registered licensed with their record. Just ask me to fill up the form. But not many people when I visited.

·
TTSam
745 Posts
ic said:
Downsview Park: Carl Hall Road, Downsview Airport.

When I went there last week, they don't check my registered licensed with their record. Just ask me to fill up the form. But not many people when I visited.
I went this evening to Downsview. What a blast taking these vehicles into a 4 wheel drift in the corners. Nice course layout to test all aspects of the cars (the red course is better). Lots of burning rubber smells.

I was impressed with the 325 for some reason. It seemed more nimble and was higher revving, and clearly felt lighter than the 330. Could have been the regular wheels compared to the 330 low profiles and the extra weight on the vey narrow and tight turn course.

However the 330 sport was mightly impressive.

I didn't think I would like it, but the active steering is quite good.

Start button - is somewhat pointless (although in the presentation before the track it was explained, it was done to remove the bulky key assembly from the steering stack to reduce knee injuries).

Cars look better in person - more athletic and not as squat as many of the pictures show.

3 of my buddies who also attended, drive E46's and all agreed E90 is an impressive step forward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts