BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just picked up a 2008 328i E90 Sedan AT a week ago and already felt disappointed comparing to my 2004 E46 325i AT which has less power w/ 36k on the clock. I know they are all DBW but the E46 feels much more normal and acts very close to be like a traditional cable throttle. From driving on local street, I feel the acceleration is sluggish with light throttle from light-to-light traffic. I experienced a big delay/ dead spot on the very first second I stepped on the pedal slightly. It just felt like my old honda civic's gas pedal which is not adjusted regularly and resulted in a lot of free play. The E90 is a lot harder to drive comparing to the E46 because of this weird throttle behaviour. I have to guess when/where the throttle will start to respond to my input and this makes me uncomfortable to drive and as a result, I have to drive like a grandma because of lack of confidence to the car. Even my not-car-savvy girl friend immediately noticed that too the first time she drove the car so I know it must be really bad. I did a search and people complained about this but they mostly blamed on the DBW system. But since E46 was great, I think BMW screwed up on the software for E90? Is there a fix available to E90 yet? (reflashing the computer?) I am really upset as throttle response is really vital to how well a car drives. Thanks for listening to my complaints.

·
TTSam
745 Posts
Hi, I just picked up a 2008 328i E90 Sedan AT a week ago and already felt disappointed comparing to my 2004 E46 325i AT which has less power w/ 36k on the clock. I know they are all DBW but the E46 feels much more normal and acts very close to be like a traditional cable throttle. From driving on local street, I feel the acceleration is sluggish with light throttle from light-to-light traffic. I experienced a big delay/ dead spot on the very first second I stepped on the pedal slightly. It just felt like my old honda civic's gas pedal which is not adjusted regularly and resulted in a lot of free play. The E90 is a lot harder to drive comparing to the E46 because of this weird throttle behaviour. I have to guess when/where the throttle will start to respond to my input and this makes me uncomfortable to drive and as a result, I have to drive like a grandma because of lack of confidence to the car. Even my not-car-savvy girl friend immediately noticed that too the first time she drove the car so I know it must be really bad. I did a search and people complained about this but they mostly blamed on the DBW system. But since E46 was great, I think BMW screwed up on the software for E90? Is there a fix available to E90 yet? (reflashing the computer?) I am really upset as throttle response is really vital to how well a car drives. Thanks for listening to my complaints.
Assuming this is an automatic - does it also happen in sport or manual mode?

Assuming the car is new - the system takes a while to get used to your style of driving.

Did the same thing happened when you did your test drive?

If it is not new - you can reset the system apparently by holding the gas pedal down with the key in a particular setting (not entirely sure of the process search the forums to find out exactly what needs to be done).

I know there have been some problems with the GM transmission on X3's (lots of posts on the X3 forum) and the 328 I understand has the same basic GM transmission.

That is partially why I ordered mine as a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,865 Posts
Perhaps not the throttle

I had a 6MT '05 330i and now have a new 6MT 335i sedan. I test drove an AT 335i because the dealer didn't have a manual in stock. There was something "interesting" about the take-offs, and to me it was related to the transmission. Every time I started from a stop, there was almost like a downshift going on, very annoying.

I don't think your issue is related to drive-by-wire throttle. Neither my '05 or '08 6MT 3 series exhibited any type of throttle delay. I would suggest something the other responder mentioned, see if this happens in sport or manual mode.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Lose the runflats. Are you with the sports package? Your E46 wheel and tire weighed 43-44 lbs, now you're pushing 60lbs per corner if you got sport pkg.

·
Iwanna330Cic
927 Posts
Are you feeling this in drive or in sport mode? I might be wrong, but I do believe the car starts up in 2nd gear when in D. If in sport mode, it starts up in 1st. Try it and see if there is a difference. :dunno:

Doug

·
Registered
177 Posts
G A 6 L 4 5 R

fongph, look at this March 07 CNET review of the 328xi and this is what they say about the AT:

CNET Review:
Acceleration in the standard drive mode feels sedate, but greatly improves in the sport mode. We found the accelerator was difficult to get used to, and we could never really tell when we were going to get power. Sometimes there would be lag and sometimes not. Regular drive mode produced acceleration lag, while sport mode minimized it. But even in sport mode we sometimes got odd lags while cornering. We could never quite pin down how to use this accelerator to get consistent performance.

Link: http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2007-bmw-328xi-sedan/4505-10865_7-32329714.html

Now find out which AT do you have:

E90
323i 2006 GA6HP19Z or GA6L45R
323i 2007 GA6L45R
325i & 325xi 2004-06 GA6HP19Z
328i & 328xi 2006-07 GA6L45R
330i & 330xi 2004-06 GA6HP19Z
335i & 335xi 2006-07 GA6HP19Z

Looks like 328i and 328xi have the same GM transmission, I came from the X3 board and someone else did ask a similar question about his 328xi...

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
It's likely the Valvetronic that dulls the throttle response. It's nothing to do with the gearbox, since I've tried every trick in the book to try and get a "sharp" throttle response in our 325i. No luck. You can tell from the way the motor revs; put it in N, and blip the throttle. It's slack compared to previous BMWs I've driven. Remember, with Valvetronic, there is no throttle. Rather, the valves themselves are determining how much the engine breathes.

The 335i, which doesn't have Valvetronic, feels much like my X3 and the E46. Very crisp. Can't be the electronic throttle.

·
Registered
213 Posts
More displacement = less fun?

If you want quick and instant response in a non-racer (e.g. M3) configured daily driver I think you'd have been better off with something with a smaller engine. The 328i is now up to a 3.0 liter engine which I've always thought was right about where you'll get more top-end fun rather than off-the-line fun, especially with an automatic transmission. The turbos in the 335 greatly assist in this regard, just like adding turbos to a 1.8 liter in the previous Audi A4s made those fun to drive around town. I don't think there's much to do regarding throttle resonse on the 328i other than, as others have suggested, run in Sport mode all the time.
AJ

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The E46 330i also has a 3 litre and that's no less responsive than a 2.5 litre. And if you think the ZHP is not responsive......well you've got a whole 'nother thing coming!

·
Registered
258 Posts
you have to put it in sport mode to see the quick response.

from e46 to e90 there have been certain changes to the fuel standards which force the car manufacturers to comply by them.
so the throttle response at lower at lower rpms for better fuel efficiency
and also e90 is more heavy than a e46

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I had an '08 328i A/T loaner a couple weekends ago, it had about 1800 miles on it. In regular auto mode it was dangerously slow to respond to my right foot inputs.

It didn't seem engine/power related, more of an electronic delay to respond. I tried to pull out of a slow lane on the freeway, in motion, stomped the pedal and it didn't respond for a fraction of a second or so. I did not like this one bit. It was a pretty dangerous situation IMHO.

The throttle by wire in my E46 is a bit slow to respond on throttle blips, but if I push down to summon up the ponies, it goes when I want it to. I do not have a/t though.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I've tried SD in the 325i, but the only improvement is in highway merging situations, where it is slightly more willing to allow a downshift. Nevertheless, the gearbox remains sluggish, and at anything above 90km/h, unwilling to downshift lower than 5th gear unless you hit the kickdown, at which point it takes a second to take 4th, and another second to 3rd. I should totally record this on a video to demonstrate how bad it is.

I've reset the adaptive gearbox control. However, there is no improvement.

I've started just driving the thing in manual mode and/or using cruise control. It's one of many unfortunate compromises I have to make while driving the vehicle.

·
Super Bayern!
348 Posts
From driving on local street, I feel the acceleration is sluggish with light throttle from light-to-light traffic. I experienced a big delay/ dead spot on the very first second I stepped on the pedal slightly. It just felt like my old honda civic's gas pedal which is not adjusted regularly and resulted in a lot of free play. The E90 is a lot harder to drive comparing to the E46 because of this weird throttle behaviour. I have to guess when/where the throttle will start to respond to my input and this makes me uncomfortable to drive and as a result, I have to drive like a grandma because of lack of confidence to the car.
I just picked up my car about 4 weeks ago, but echo your thoughts on the dead spot at the beginning of the throttle. I thought I just needed to get used to the new car, but I wonder if I will ever get used to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Assuming this is an automatic - does it also happen in sport or manual mode?
I haven't tried the DS or M/S mode because I am still in break-in period. But I would assume the D Mode be at least "normal". What normal means is to compare with every other AT I have tried (mostly Japanese made) and more importantly the E46 I have. Nothing is like normal in D mode. it just feels jerky, sluggish, not-in-control when accelerating from a complete stop / braking for the red light then saw a green.

Assuming the car is new - the system takes a while to get used to your style of driving.

Did the same thing happened when you did your test drive?
Happened to the E90 328i AT and 335i AT I test drove too but I wasn't too concerned about it that time, now I regret.

If it is not new - you can reset the system apparently by holding the gas pedal down with the key in a particular setting (not entirely sure of the process search the forums to find out exactly what needs to be done).

I know there have been some problems with the GM transmission on X3's (lots of posts on the X3 forum) and the 328 I understand has the same basic GM transmission.

That is partially why I ordered mine as a manual transmission.
I wish I can order a manual transmission on too but my girl friend can't drive stick shift well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a 6MT '05 330i and now have a new 6MT 335i sedan. I test drove an AT 335i because the dealer didn't have a manual in stock. There was something "interesting" about the take-offs, and to me it was related to the transmission. Every time I started from a stop, there was almost like a downshift going on, very annoying.

I don't think your issue is related to drive-by-wire throttle. Neither my '05 or '08 6MT 3 series exhibited any type of throttle delay. I would suggest something the other responder mentioned, see if this happens in sport or manual mode.
I don't think it is just because of DBW. I think it must be a ****ty software/transmission. I have driven other cars like that have DBW (both manual and auto transmission) and is nothing as bad as the E90

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lose the runflats. Are you with the sports package? Your E46 wheel and tire weighed 43-44 lbs, now you're pushing 60lbs per corner if you got sport pkg.
I think this is a seperate issue. If it revs up slowly when I press the gas pedal, then I know it is fine. Problem is that when I press the throttle, a good 0.5-1 sec the car is just doing nothing , a dead spot I would call it and act as if there is a queuing delay for an input. It is just like when you are typing the keyboard really fast and the system has problem processing it and drops some of your keystroke.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you feeling this in drive or in sport mode? I might be wrong, but I do believe the car starts up in 2nd gear when in D. If in sport mode, it starts up in 1st. Try it and see if there is a difference. :dunno:

Doug
I am going to try it and see if it helps. Somebody said it is still there but better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had an '08 328i A/T loaner a couple weekends ago, it had about 1800 miles on it. In regular auto mode it was dangerously slow to respond to my right foot inputs.

It didn't seem engine/power related, more of an electronic delay to respond. I tried to pull out of a slow lane on the freeway, in motion, stomped the pedal and it didn't respond for a fraction of a second or so. I did not like this one bit. It was a pretty dangerous situation IMHO.

The throttle by wire in my E46 is a bit slow to respond on throttle blips, but if I push down to summon up the ponies, it goes when I want it to. I do not have a/t though.
Totally Agreed. I am comparing to my E46 AT so this is pretty fair to say that the E90 AT sucks nuts

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,865 Posts
I haven't tried the DS or M/S mode because I am still in break-in period. But I would assume the D Mode be at least "normal". What normal means is to compare with every other AT I have tried (mostly Japanese made) and more importantly the E46 I have. Nothing is like normal in D mode. it just feels jerky, sluggish, not-in-control when accelerating from a complete stop / braking for the red light then saw a green.

Happened to the E90 328i AT and 335i AT I test drove too but I wasn't too concerned about it that time, now I regret.
Well, break-in period shouldn't prevent you from at least trying sport mode or manual shifting. Just continue to observe the maximum rpm limitation.

That said, as I mentioned earlier, I test drove an AT 335i even though I was ordering 6MT because that is all my dealer had available. I noticed right away that the transmission was very strange when taking off from a stop. It was like it started then downshifted immediately with some type of pause. I've read that normal mode starts off in 2nd gear and this might be the problem. I didn't care since I was buying stick, but I don't understand why a production vehicle is released with this type of issue. They obviously knew the operating characteristics of the transmission.

I would at least try sport mode and see if this changes the take-off characteristics.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In D the car starts in 2nd gear. I believe OP will find similar lack of responsiveness in DS and Manual mode. This happens in my wife's 328xiT and I believe it to be completely normal operation.

I think it is the GM6 transmission shared with the X3. The ZF auto in the 135 and 335 responds so much differently it's ridiculous. Many posters have commented on this issue and the differences between the two trannys.

You can still follow break-in protocol while using the other tranny modes. The sport mode (DS) won't shift over the recommended rev limit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts