BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using dealer loaner -- 2014 F30. My car is a 2010 E90.

As to be expected, there are many differences in the driving experience. But one which immediately jumped out was that the F30 absorbed potholes and road irregularities FAR better than my car with OEM Continental RFTs.

The F30 has Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on it. Can these tire be the reason for the much more civilized, less jarring ride?

Also, when I looked up these Michelins up on tirerack.com, they are NOT listed as RFTs. But how could this be? I thought BMW always puts RFTs on the 328i. If the Michelins are go-flats, then this might explain the smoother ride.

Would love to get this same road feel on E90 -- what do you guys think?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,103 Posts
They're RFTs. The difference is newer generation RFTs and changes to the suspension.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I drove few times my daughter 320i and must admit that this is fun to drive car with enough power (185hp) .

·
Registered
612 Posts
The F30 also includes a major change to the suspension. So while switching tires may help a bit, just changing the tires won't get you into F30 territory.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The F30 also includes a major change to the suspension. So while switching tires may help a bit, just changing the tires won't get you into F30 territory.
Any ideas what those suspension changes are...and whether they're a possible retro fit to the E9X?

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Any ideas what those suspension changes are...and whether they're a possible retro fit to the E9X?
Go Koni FSDs shocks and non-run flats. Should get you close to the F30's ride quality. Shouldn't have to change the springs.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Go Koni FSDs shocks and non-run flats. Should get you close to the F30's ride quality. Shouldn't have to change the springs.
+1

I have the sport suspension with Koni FSDs and non RFTs. Better handling than stock and much better ride quality.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Springs mainly set ride height. You want softer shocks for a smoother ride.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
How many miles are on your E90 tires vs the F30?

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
One thing you may not have noticed is that the tires on F3x are slightly taller than on E9x. The E9x (typical common size) has 225/45R17, while the F3x has 225/50R17. All other tires on F3x are similarly a bit taller due to higher profile.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
One thing you may not have noticed is that the tires on F3x are slightly taller than on E9x. The E9x (typical common size) has 225/45R17, while the F3x has 225/50R17. All other tires on F3x are similarly a bit taller due to higher profile.
Good catch, didn't know that. My E36 was 225/50R16.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I've been using dealer loaner -- 2014 F30. My car is a 2010 E90.

As to be expected, there are many differences in the driving experience. But one which immediately jumped out was that the F30 absorbed potholes and road irregularities FAR better than my car with OEM Continental RFTs.

The F30 has Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on it. Can these tire be the reason for the much more civilized, less jarring ride?

Also, when I looked up these Michelins up on tirerack.com, they are NOT listed as RFTs. But how could this be? I thought BMW always puts RFTs on the 328i. If the Michelins are go-flats, then this might explain the smoother ride.

Would love to get this same road feel on E90 -- what do you guys think?
Have these on the 335D. They are great tires and do give a little softer ride (they are also great in the rain) but my guess is that it is the suspension changes to the F30. N4S

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
It's way more than the tires. 225/45/18 Pirelli Cinturato's on my wife's 328i Luxury Line.

It's a bigger car, not to mention EPS and the 8sp AT make for a different driving experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I actually just put these tires on my 2011 335. They are listed as ZP Zero Pressure. Same as run flats. I ordered them of tire rack and it was like $600 shipped with a $70 rebate in size 17". So fare they are great! They have a beefy sidewall and lip/wheel protector. Hang outside the wheel a good amount. Good in the snow and much smoother then the contis my car came with. The contis had about 30k miles on them.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I switched from Bridgestones to Michelins on my E93 and the difference was night and day, much improved ride - not as good as non runflats, but much better than the bridestones. It may not be all tire on the F30 that makes the difference, but a good set of runflats mill much improve it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.