BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between the two. I'm hearing about a terrible harsh ride with the 18"s, that's probably my biggest concern, that and the fact you can't find replacement tires if you need one. Do the stock and sp models both have the fat steering wheel, that is a must for me. Are there any other differences besides the seat? Thanks to all. :dunno:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Personally, I'd never buy any BMW w/o the Sport package. It is absolutely essential. The ride is harsh compared to say... a Cadillac, but it's not going to beat you up like an M3 or an STI would. It really isn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
lower suspension. If you want Paddle shifters, u need SP+Auto

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
You will have to test drive them. One person's idea of a comfortable, firm ride is another's jarring nightmare.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 335 coupe comes with the sport suspension.If you like the sport seats i would get the sport package.If you are neutral on the seats and don't like the idea of the 18inch performance tires,then you shouldn't get the sport package.I am looking forward to the 335 coupe,because i dont really need the perforamnce tires(don't last long)and i am athletically built,so the sport seats are a little tight,especially in the winter,when i wear a jacket.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Plus it takes away the all mighty speed limiter----now you can go 155 down the interstate at night if you want too---thats a big risk though

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
Personally, I can't ever imagine buying something like the 335 without a sports package. You're not getting a 335i just to cruise around town and go on long sunday drives are you?

If that were the case I'd probably say get a different car.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
No SP, buy a Lexus. :tsk:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I'd never get a BMW without one of the sporty suspension options. I have the Performance Package which is similar to a Sports Package in that it has a firmer suspension, 18" wheels, etc. I find the ride firm and controlled but still very comfortable. In fact, I was surprised at how nice the ride is given the tight and controlled suspension on this car which is my first BMW. I'd expect nothing less from future models such as the e90/92 family. In short, go sport :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Great reply's all, thanks. I currently have a 330ci with the sp and find the ride pretty good. Am doing an Oct. ED so can't test drive, got to go with research, but leaning toward sp. Do you think the 335i with sp would be much different than my 330ci sp?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, gotta get the SP... you must. And don't worry, even my M3 isn't that harsh and was surprised by its nice ride compared to my other car that gave me a headache everytime I hit a bump.

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
SDDennehy said:
Great reply's all, thanks. I currently have a 330ci with the sp and find the ride pretty good. Am doing an Oct. ED so can't test drive, got to go with research, but leaning toward sp. Do you think the 335i with sp would be much different than my 330ci sp?
I doubt that the ride quality would be much different.

I think the e46 ZHP is a little more firm than the e90 ZSP, but they are both fine as far as ride quality goes. DO IT!

:angel:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I believe the 335 coupe does have sport suspension standard (like the the E46). I beleive the rides should be similiar if not the same.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just one thing to consider when you do the test drives: the cars will likely "loosen up" quite a bit by around 5000 miles (both of mine did; pretty dramatically too). When I test drove the 330I (w and w/o SP), I thought the normal suspension was probably firm enough for northeastern roads and that with the SP, it was going to be over-the-top for a daily driver. But, since accumulating the requisite miles, I now find the that the normal suspension has gotten pretty "soft", and I'm really regretting not getting the SP. So, imo, I think if you test drove both cars and concluded that the SP was just a tad on the firm side for you (but not drastically so), you should get it. It should loosen up in time.

Hope this helps somewhat.

cheers,
suntan

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Also realize to fix your two concerns in one hit, if you use NON run flat tires on your 18 inch wheels they will be more available and give you a softer ride.

You could start out with the OEM tires and switch to non run flats if you find it harsh.

Just make sure to pick up the Conti tire fixing kit when you order those regular tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Different beast but I ordered a 2006 X5 4.4i w/o the sports package and kick myself every day for that decision. Next spring when I order an E93 335 it will definately have the sports package if not already included and I'll let the misses drive the X5.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My personal opinion (not having owned a BMW yet) is that the Sports Package is the one option that needs to be there no matter what!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I see a lot of the SP is a must.

On the sedan, I agree it's a must because you have to have the sport suspension for it to truly ride and drive like a BMW. But on a sedan the SP means the difference between getting or not getting the sport suspension. On a coupe the sport suspension is standard and the SP is bigger wheels and sport seats isn't it?

Thus I don't think SP on a coupe is the must have that it is on a sedan.

·
Tracer
134 Posts
Originally I wasnt going to get the Sport Package.

I figured:
1) the 335i already has a sport suspension
2) the upgraded wheels I didnt care about since I want aftermarket wheels
3) the Premium package has nice power memory seats already anyway. I figured they were 80-90% as good as the seats with the Sport Package.

This was all before I saw the pricing. I didnt realize it would be so inexpensive. 910 bucks at invoice? (I quote invoice since my deal was invoice + XXXX). I figure you can probably sell the wheels alone for the cost of the sport package if you are upgrading, and if not, its a really good deal.

I went with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A stylish but fairly conservative girl I know was in the market for a Z4. Was told all the usual bs stories about the "harsh" sport package. She was scared to death. But the 325 Z4 with sp has the *hottest* looking wheels - turbine style - she was drooling all over them, so I was able to convince her to get the sp. And now she is a driving freak!!! She loves that thing and just hurls it all over the road and around corners. Sport package is indeed a must if you want to really enjoy driving your car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts