BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine went into look at the new 135 and left with a new m3 coupe. Yesterday we spent the better part of the afternoon hardwiring his v1 (not nearly as easy as it was in the e86). After the install, I let him drive my z4mc around the the neighborhood (never got on it hard) and I drove the m3 around.

His first comment about my car was "holy jesus your clutch and steering are stiff...your car is like a race car". When I drove his m3 (which isn't broken in yet so I never took it over 5k on the tach) I was amazed by how docile the car is. At any speed, the z4mc feels like sports car. The m3 doesn't. The steering is light, the car is big and heavy, the clutch is like not there, and the shifter operation is equally buttery. The clutch was amazingly soft, and I was constantly slamming the pedal into its stop because it takes so much less force than I'm used to. The shifter felt like it would shift itself, it took little driver input, I could probably use my pinky to shift.

So without driving the m3 hard, and just feeling the "basics" of the car, I have to say I don't like it. What I love about my z4mc is the viceral experience it provides. You feel everything you do and you're in it. You have to drive the car and it loves to be driven. The new m3 drives itself, I felt like it could have been a Lexus.

·
Fight On!
1,559 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhhhh.... Don't let the new M3 folks know that you didn't love their car. They will call you names and let you know you are too poor to afford the new M3. :rofl:

·
Fight On!
1,559 Posts
Some samples:

I have had my new E92 m3 for a week now its my 4th m3. For the guy who said its doesn't look that great, Your nuts. The pictures you see on the internet and in magazines do it no justice compared to when you see it in person. Every day I drive it I have people hanging out of their windows to get a better look or to ask about it. How many times did that happen in your z4( which in my opinion is the ugliest bmw ever made. What is that round blinker thing thats sticks out of the side ewwww. As far as performance it is sick fast and handles like you are on rails. For you that compare corvettes to m3, you cant, I also own a corvette. Corvettes are made so cheap compared to the m's they clip together. Yes they are fast and handle well but try driving in one every day, no thanks its good to take out on a sunday. If you had a new m3 and your m coupe parked side by side and your could take either one home for the same price you would have to be on drugs not to pick the faster , and better looking e92 m3.
I think what the problem is that the new M3 is out of your pay grade because they raised the price and you are just upset being stuck in the m coupe which by the way would get smoked by the new m3.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shhhhhhhhhhhh.... Don't let the new M3 folks know that you didn't love their car. They will call you names and let you know you are too poor to afford the new M3. :rofl:
LOL! I'm one of the poor saps who bought my m coupe when there weren't any incentives being offered and the weather was warm...as my nearly $900/month payment will attest.

Before driving the M3, I was absolutely ready to be impressed...I expected a similar DRIVING experience to that of my z4mc...but faster! I didn't go in with some inferiority complex looking to dog it. I'ts a "lovely" grand-touring car...but it's not a sports car.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Yeah, I was totally unimpressed with the 360 modena I drove around for a day. I expected it to have so much more grunt. I was so dissapointed.

Something tells me I will feel the same about the new M3.

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Newer cars are so much more competent out of the box, that it takes some of the "driver involvement" away in the process. That, IMHO is a good and bad thing depeding upon how you look at it.

The new M3 is def sweet on paper and I am sure that the V8 in that is a gem ... it would def make for a sick M Coupe when it comes out down the line.

I do love the S54 though and its setup in the Z4MC is such a nice balance of bringing a comfortable enough back-to-the-basics sports car that can be driven daily and is track ready.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is exactly the same experience I had when I drove the new m3.. light numb steering, light clutch, and not very nimble ...

The M coupe on the other hand feels 'connected', tight and 'weighty' on the steering

Good analysis!

So a friend of mine went into look at the new 135 and left with a new m3 coupe. Yesterday we spent the better part of the afternoon hardwiring his v1 (not nearly as easy as it was in the e86). After the install, I let him drive my z4mc around the the neighborhood (never got on it hard) and I drove the m3 around.

His first comment about my car was "holy jesus your clutch and steering are stiff...your car is like a race car". When I drove his m3 (which isn't broken in yet so I never took it over 5k on the tach) I was amazed by how docile the car is. At any speed, the z4mc feels like sports car. The m3 doesn't. The steering is light, the car is big and heavy, the clutch is like not there, and the shifter operation is equally buttery. The clutch was amazingly soft, and I was constantly slamming the pedal into its stop because it takes so much less force than I'm used to. The shifter felt like it would shift itself, it took little driver input, I could probably use my pinky to shift.

So without driving the m3 hard, and just feeling the "basics" of the car, I have to say I don't like it. What I love about my z4mc is the viceral experience it provides. You feel everything you do and you're in it. You have to drive the car and it loves to be driven. The new m3 drives itself, I felt like it could have been a Lexus.

·
matching revs in
400 Posts
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
reiner77 said:
Every day I drive it I have people hanging out of their windows to get a better look or to ask about it. How many times did that happen in your z4
He's right - no one ever notices or asks about our Z4s. Why would they - it looks like any other commuter car with a few badges and a hood bulge added. Oh, wait! :rolleyes:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
-The M3 is not, and has never been, a sports car.
Most owners of E30 M3s would disagree, and so would I.

The E30 M3 is, to today, a better "sports car" than anything BMW has ever built outside of the legendary M1.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
Most owners of E30 M3s would disagree, and so would I.

The E30 M3 is, to today, a better "sports car" than anything BMW has ever built outside of the legendary M1.
-Nope.

Nothing with a back seat that was designed as a commuter car could be considered a sports car. It doesn't matter that the E30's performance and tactile feedback is better than most contemporary sports cars - it's still a car designed and marketed to serve the basic function of transportation first, and sporty driving second. I'm not knocking the E30, actually the exact opposite, I just want the term sports car to be applied accurately. And the term references the design's structure and purpose, not its performance.

And no, I don't consider the 911 to be a proper sports car either. Except for the GT3 and GT2, the 911 is a very capable grand tourer - like an XK8 or Ferrari 456 (or 612). The Cayman is a sports car, the Ferrari 599 is a sports car (albeit a super-heavy one), and the Z3 and Z4 are sports cars.

p.s. And while we're on the topic of accurate terminology, a Roadster is a 2-seat car with NO TOP that can be stored on the vehicle when not serving as a roof. It is NOT a synonym for convertible, even though that is how it is increasingly used today. So no, the M Roadsters are not really Roadsters. The name is a marketing ploy meant to underscore the performance of the car by referencing to a type of vehicle more specifically designed for a raw driving experience.

·
Officially Weird
1,637 Posts
Frankly I'm really surprised that your friend ended up with an M3 after looking at the 135. I saw both at a recent autocross. The M3 was alpine white, and, while not clean, was not that impressive. I will admit it looks better proportioned than it does in pictures (ie, it does not look about 5 feet too long in person), but that's about it.

The M3 doesn't look like it has any more rear legroom than the 135, but the car is just enormous.

But that M3 motor... sweeeet :)

As for the idiots bragging about how big their pen... er, paychecks... are... well, it's obvious why they bought the car, and it ISN'T to drive!

·
Registered
285 Posts
To the poster re: the 360 Modena... I've spent a good deal of time with a 355, a pair of 360s and a pair of 430s. I can somewhat see your point on the 360, but the 430... good God. The 430. My MZ4 is great. The 430 is abso****inglutely phenomenal. It's a pure sports car. The steering is unmatched. The power is something the e90 M3 has moist dreams of. The feel and sound is just stupid.

I have access to lots of cars (lambos, GT40s, Astons, etc) as J Ragan can attest and can honestly say there isn't a better car at the price point than the 430. The Top/Fifth gear guys tend to agree. The new Skyline GT-R will be faster, but it won't be an F430. It'll be a series of computers driving an ugly car :)

But as to OP's comment, I'm with him. If I didn't have the MZ4 Roadster I'd either buy a white coupe or a 135i from a Dinan dealer who can put the motor goodies on it so that it smacks up on the e90 M3 for 16k less or so. And is a bit stealthy...

·
Officially Weird
1,637 Posts
Haha I've been flipping crap to this reiner clown and it just gets better and better.

by the way that coupe in that photo has to be the hands down ugliest f-ing thing I have laid my eyes on. ewww gross. You would be better off with a outback wagon. You would probable get more chicks that way.
didn't bother telling him that he's right, I could absolutely carry more chicks in the outback!

to you in the ugly coupe, I think you should be the one who is crying in the corner for having such a ugly car. ( I bet you baught it used) Why do you hang out in this section isn't there a post for guys who drive girl cars.
By the way you driving that car just makes me beleive you gave up all hope of someday being cool or looking good. I figured it out! No wonder why you can't afford a new m3. Your a english teacher how many years salary is that for you. I would trade my grammer for my money any day of the week. ( why dont they put spell check on this thing) So I don't gave to be corrected by the school nerd who drives his nerd mobile. Loser. Maybe you can go out and get a used e36 and join that other broke guy and talk about how bad the new m3 is.
Man, I want to keep him going but you can only call someone an uneducated loser so many times before it gets old. :rofl: Maybe he'll just keep ranting on and on without me even having to insult him. I would assume it was a troll but I think he is the real deal!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Got to disagree w/ you all here. I've been an owner of both gens of M Coupe and have an M3 press car this week. Got to say I'm very impressed. You're not going to get any valid impression of the M3 driving it around a neighborhood, especially under 5k--same way you won't get a good impression of an M Coupe under similar conditions.

Pop that V8 over 5k with the throttle buried and it hauls ass like the proverbial "raped ape". Its power is everything we all want our S54s to be when talking about getting more out of them. Steering when the car is in the zone--i.e. pushing it, is direct and communicative, off the pipe, yes its a little light and numb, but thats fine for driving around town.

The M3 shrinks around you when you push it but opens up to being a nice everyday car when you're not necessarily paying attention. They've finally sorted most of the iDrive BS making it almost as useable as Audi's setup--the iPod interface actually works.

M Coupes and M3s are clearly different cars, and the new M3, especially w/ this new V8, is absolutely on point for being a sports car. I'm not going to disagree that our M Coupes are pure sports but there are some compromises for daily driving. Personally count me in for a four door with DCT as the perfect all arounder.

Oh and the white coupe with carbon roof looks killer and just for that is worth $16k over the price of a 335i w/ a chip.

·
Officially Weird
1,637 Posts
Oh, I believe it's a great car, I just wouldn't trade my M Coupe for one. I'd love to have one as a second car though, maybe for road trips or something. Commuting in something that big = no thanks.

I've tended to think the M3 coupes look better than sedans (well, okay, that E36 and E46 coupes look better than the sedans) but I think the proportions are *just right* on the E90 M3, where the E92 looks a bit stretched. There was an E90 M3 at bimmerfest (didn't know they were out yet!) and also an E92 with DCT. Good stuff.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
The E92 M3 coupe is simply a replacement for the E39 M6 that was never designed or built. Similar size, weight, power and handling characteristics if you factor in technology developed since the E39.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts