BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a cracked rim and need to replace. I am looking to go bigger all the way around. Looking at the car and what I can find, has anyone tried the below or have ideas.

2007 335i
factory sport package

currently have OEM style 189 rims
front 18" 8 225/40/18
Rear 18" 8.5 255/35/18

Looking to get
front 18" 8.5 255/35/18
rear 19" 9.5 275/30/19 (would roll fender)

tires would be nitto invos all the way around. Rims im looking at VMR V710 or Miro 111.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody willing to help with some info? mostly curious if some of you guys have tried to fit 275's in the rear and what kinda advice you may be able to give. I've searched and it's hit and miss weather there's a problem fitting without rubbing. Most of what I've found where people say it won't fit is from people that haven't tried. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

·
Flying monkey herder
8,168 Posts
i can tell you in the front 255 will rub.
i'm running 245/35/19 with ET35 and 245/45/17 with ET 30 rims and i get a light rub at full lock with both sets

275/35/19 in the rear may work, depends on if you have a sedan or coupe...
with a sedan you likely wont rub with ET33 or higher.

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Is there a typo or you really want to run 18" front / 19" rear?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i can tell you in the front 255 will rub.
i'm running 245/35/19 with ET35 and 245/45/17 with ET 30 rims and i get a light rub at full lock with both sets

275/35/19 in the rear may work, depends on if you have a sedan or coupe...
with a sedan you likely wont rub with ET33 or higher.
where is it that's rubbing on your fronts? for sh!ts and giggles i tossed the factory rear on the front to see how i liked the look. it fit, didn't rub at full lock either way and there was a little bit of room all the way around. not enough for something larger but it seemed to fit. i only "demoed" this in the driveway at low speed and no real bumps but it seems like the rubbing issue would be at full lock. the closest it was, was by the shock which won't change clearance (well very minimally) and the front of the inner fender had about 1/2"

Is there a typo or you really want to run 18" front / 19" rear?
nope decided to be different and stagger/stagger :D no real reason other than i can and its different. overall diameter won't change so it won't have a rake if that's why you ask

·
N54
3,427 Posts
It will look f***in ridiculous, but hey it's your car so do as you please

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you look at pics of any stagger set up like this on any car really, you'll find that its not really that noticeable. but i understand where some people may not agree with the idea

but thanks for the bump :hi:

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
18" front, 19" rear is not totally out of the ordinary...some of the exotic Italian cars, and the Dodge Viper comes to mind. I'd reconsider the front size to avoid potential rubbing issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm teetering with the size. i may go for a ride with the stock rears on the front and see if they rub. i have a brand new set of 255's that i'd like to use so if i can put those on the front then that's what is going to happen i guess. just wasn't sure on your guys' thoughts or if anybody has tried to go that big yet

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
18 front and 19 rear is ghetto....

Keep the 18 and get 10mm spacers front and 15mm spacers rear, and some HR springs and lower car 1.3 inches.

Or get all new 19's and tires...

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
18 front and 19 rear is ghetto....

Keep the 18 and get 10mm spacers front and 15mm spacers rear, and some HR springs and lower car 1.3 inches.

Or get all new 19's and tires...
This is from the same guy with non-colour matched splitters on the front...:rofl:

If you get the aspect ratio of the different tires correct, it shouldn't look bad.

OP: Try this... it might help: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

You can always get your fenders rolled to make room, or get spacers to push out (kind of the same thing)

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts

·
Registered
6,203 Posts

·
Doing the best I can
1,123 Posts
I have 265 on the rear. No problem.

P.S.- Ignore the wheels on my sig pic. Recently went to 19" style 313 but have not gotten around to taking a new pic.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Thanks. exactly what i was looking for :thumbup:

Currently in an effort to get my car back on the road I am going to get new OEM rim. Once i get the new tires mounted I plan to put the factory 255/35/18 rims/tires on the front to test a bit more.... :D
Good luck, but in this forum you ignore Orient's advice at your peril! He's da man.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,168 Posts
if you have a coupe you CANNOT roll the front fenders(composite doesn't roll). you'll be limited to putting in a bunch of negative camber if you're rubbing on the outside. rubbing on the inside might be fixable with spacers.

i rub on the inside with 245s at full lock, front of wheel well
i do have an X drive, so my max wheel angle (IIRC) is slightly more limited than an i, so rubbing may be worse on an i at full lock. this will also be tire dependant. my summer tires are goodyear F1s. winters are wintersport 3ds, both have VERY square shoulders. i dont know how the invos compare.

you can put 245s on an 8.5" rim. 8.5 is the floor (meaning the narrowest rim) that a 255 will fit on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts