Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have struck the most feared issue on an E93, the convertible top is not working:cry:

My roof package is in the trunk but now it won't come out (I left the roof open for slightly more than a day, while parked in the garage). When I try to close the roof with either the key or the switch, the trunk lid opens, then there are a couple of faint clicks but the roof package does not come out and the trunk lid is stuck in the open position. If I hold on to the switch the red indicator comes on indicating the roof is not locked properly.

I have tried manually pushing it while pressing the key button but to no avail :(

My guess is because the trunk lid is functioning it is probably not the electric motor but either a micro switch or hall sensor. I am not getting any error messages so can't say which of the micro-switches or sensors is the issue. I even tried looking up the error codes through an OBD II reader but that also shows no errors.

Anyone else experienced this issue or any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,010 Posts
this might be a silly question, but were you trying to close the top with the Car running or with it not running? Maybe the battery is down a little

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Here is the diagram and location of the E93 relays

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Calwaterboy, fdriller9, replaced the relay and the roof worked like a charm :)

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,162 Posts
so you were able to get to the relays with the top in the trunk?
What you are thinking would be a real design error! :mad:
I recently worked on restoring the retractable soft top function on a '64 Lincoln for the British show Wheeler Dealers. There were 14 huge relays and all were accessible in the trunk with the top stowed.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
I recently worked on restoring the retractable hardtop function on a '64 Lincoln for the British show Wheeler Dealers. There were 14 huge relays and all were accessible in the trunk with the top stowed.

I LUST for a '64 Lincoln!

beating-heart-.gif

Perry Mason was my hero....

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,162 Posts
I LUST for a '64 Lincoln!

Perry Mason was my hero....
Here ya go Cal, a couple I took just before it got shipped. I had to save every old part so that they could "fix" it on the show. Originally I was told to not clean a single thing, but when they saw pics of how dirty it was (18 years in a barn) they thought that Customs might impound it for fumigation (no joke!).

Attachments

·
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
7,614 Posts
I recently worked on restoring the retractable soft top function on a '64 Lincoln for the British show Wheeler Dealers. There were 14 huge relays and all were accessible in the trunk with the top stowed.
As long as there is nothing in the trunk and the top is stowed the relays are accessible.

Bad scenario if you have a donut spare tucked in the trunk and the salmon relays go out with the top down. :yikes:

ps: DSX, The Lincoln looks great!:thumbup:

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Wow, multiple relays failing? I thought relays are practically unfailable. They are so arcane, they are practically like having a good friend in there that will always close the circuit for you with a manual switch if asked to do so. So much about old technology being more reliable... :rofl:

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,162 Posts
Wow, multiple relays failing? I thought relays are practically unfailable. They are so arcane, they are practically like having a good friend in there that will always close the circuit for you with a manual switch if asked to do so. So much about old technology being more reliable... :rofl:
Relays once had big solenoid coils and moving contact points, they were much more mechanical than electronic. Now they switch electronically and few have anything left to move. Unfortunately they have many more parts to fry.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,162 Posts
As long as there is nothing in the trunk and the top is stowed the relays are accessible.

Bad scenario if you have a donut spare tucked in the trunk and the salmon relays go out with the top down. :yikes:

ps: DSX, The Lincoln looks great!:thumbup:
It was a whited sepulchre. Under all that chrome and paint was rust, especially in the floors which is a bad place for a convertible to get it. When it was picked up on the lift the doors had to be tightly latched shut or there was danger of the car folding!

·
Banned
2,010 Posts
Relays once had big solenoid coils and moving contact points, they were much more mechanical than electronic. Now they switch electronically and few have anything left to move. Unfortunately they have many more parts to fry.
so manufacturers took a fool proof item and "F" it up so it wouldnt last and they could sell more

what happened to the KISS rule!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts