BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I’m looking to install a subwoofer in my 2011 E93 convertible and wondered if anyone has any good ideas where to mount my aftermarket amplifier. As you know, there’s limited space in the trunk of the E93 convertible and I’m having a hard time choosing a place for the amp to live. I’m having a custom sub box made to fit in the ski pass-through to save some space in the trunk area and mounting the amp to the sub box is out of the question.

If anyone has any experience with this particular set-up, I’d love to hear whatever suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I am not sure where is OE amp located in E93 but I located one amp where OE amp is located in E90 (good grounding points) and another where that tool storage location is under cover. One option is to locate on the left side from combox under cover but heat might be an issue and if amp is nit of particular quality, interference from combox.
I personally would not go subwoofer that way. With bit of patience you can DIY two shallow subwoofers into plastic subwoofer enclosures under seat. I did that installed two 8” Pioneer shallow subwoofers and bass is always there. Also depending what music you listen, smaller subwoofers might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,545 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why don’t you mount it where the OE amp is?

I have a E93 too - 2011. Open the trunk, look directly to your left, the amp is sitting underneath the plastic cover. Takes a few seconds to expose it. There’s more than enough room there to install a large aftermarket amp. I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t just install it there. That’s where everyone puts it from what I understand. There’s plug and play options too, and there’s also wiring adapters if you want to use an amp of your choice. I would get the adapter as that will allow you to use the existing wiring, and then all you have to do is run a few wires to your subwoofer, and a ground and battery wire. Much simpler.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great replies, everyone! I think I'll either try to install the amp where the factory amp is right now or under the floorboard in the center. I measured today and my amp fits pretty well in this area while allowing the floorboard to close almost all the way.

ctuna - Thank you for the great links to the other discussions. This was super helpful!

edycol - I like your Pioneer under seat subs! I think I want to do this in the near future. Did you have to modify the enclosure to fit the subs? Did you have to use a spacer ring so the sub fit in the enclosure properly? I'm really curious about how you pulled this off. Any info on this would be great. I love those Pioneer subs!!!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies, everyone! I think I'll either try to install the amp where the factory amp is right now or under the floorboard in the center. I measured today and my amp fits pretty well in this area while allowing the floorboard to close almost all the way.

ctuna - Thank you for the great links to the other discussions. This was super helpful!

edycol - I like your Pioneer under seat subs! I think I want to do this in the near future. Did you have to modify the enclosure to fit the subs? Did you have to use a spacer ring so the sub fit in the enclosure properly? I'm really curious about how you pulled this off. Any info on this would be great. I love those Pioneer subs!!!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Here you go:

You will need to cut out at the bottom plastic enclosure to fit magnet and then tape with something like Gorilla tape or like I did sound deadening.
Use pool noodles to "raise up" speakers. Use washers to raise seats around 2-3mm to provide enough clearance for the membrane. I run Pioneer 2X300W RMS on them. If you run something 2X200W you might not need to use washers. Check for other subwoofers Depth of Pioneer is 2 5/8. If you can find something shallower then I would go that route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.