BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I am considering the purchase (ED) of a MY08 328i (E93 convertible). I'm looking at the specs and the many threads on the Sport Package. I’m still unsure…

From what I can tell, adding the 'Sport Package’ adds the following (is this correct):
1. Sport seats
2. Sport suspension
3. 18” wheels & different tires
4. Optional paddle shifters - for 2008
5. Different steering wheel and some chrome trim
6. Anything else??

I like #1 & #4 – probably enough to opt for the package. But, I’m concerned about #2 & #3.

Questions:
Does the Sport Package lower the car (combination of tires & suspension)?
Does the car ride ‘noticeably’ stiffer?
Are the 18” wheels & tires prone to more road hazard problems (no snow here!)?

The local dealer only had cars with lots of custom ground effect packages, so I couldn’t evaluate these items. Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In regards to the road hazard issue with the 18" tires, sure it will increase the chances of damaging something if you hit a deep pothole. I have 16" rims (non sport) on my 2000 328 and have had 2 flats as a result of hitting a pothole (simultaneously). A friend of mine has a 2000 323 with 18" rims and has never had a flat that wasn't a result of getting a nail or similar stuck in the tire. He has also never damaged a rim or the suspension. We both have over 100k miles on our cars.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You should drive a coupe or sedan with and without the sport package to see if you dislike the suspension change. Personally, I can't see owning a BMW without the sport package. It does ride a bit stiffer, but that's why a lot of us prefer German cars. I'm not sure about lowering, I don't believe adding sport lowers the vehicle. Regarding the wheels yes they are more suseptable to road damage, but they look soooo much better.

Congratulations on the decision...you'll love the car!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If you are getting the Step trans you also get an oil cooler w/ Sport. Non-Sport Steps don't get the oil cooler.

Nothing to worry about w/ the sport suspention. On my previous Z4 I could feel every bump to the point I had to grit my teeth if an unavoidable pot hole suddenly appeared. My e93 is plush by comparison. I've never driven a non-sport e93, but I'm sure its not as fun as a sport equipt one. Plus I think the sport seats are a must. I've sat in the std. seats and they aren't that confortable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil Cooler?

"If you are getting the Step trans you also get an oil cooler w/ Sport. Non-Sport Steps don't get the oil cooler."

Oil cooler in a 328i ?????

Are you certain?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
The sport seats alone are worth the cost of the SP. The wheels are a bonus.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The sport seats alone are worth the cost of the SP. The wheels are a bonus.
So true.

I've said this a million times but here goes again:

Buying a new 3 without the ZSP option is just selling the car so short. It's a much better experience with it than without.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
The sports suspension can be pretty firm on bad roads depending what you're used to (Lexus or Honda?) That said a 328i loaner I had without the sport package was kind of boring. I couldn't pass on it because the seats are SO much better, and I figured I could live with the 18" and sports suspension. I will probably go for an alternative to the RFT's when it's time for new rubber.

Edit: You're coming from an M3? Get the sports suspension.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I ordered a 335I Convertible with sport package from Braman in West Palm thr first week in May. Picked the car up July 2nd. New York area dealers could not get delivery untill August or September. Two NY area dealers tride to talk me out of the sport package because of the stiff ride. I test drove a 328I without sport package (at a NJ dealer) and a 335I with sport package. Both my wife and I preferred the 335I sport and did not feel it rode too hard. We felt that the 328 felt more like our previous car (Lexus SC300) and that the 335i Sport felt more responsive and more connected to the road. After we picked up the 335I from Braman we put 1400 miles on the car in Florida. We both felt the car drove great. I took my mother (age 92) for a few rides and she commented on how well it rode. I had the car trucked to my friend Bob's house in Huntington, Long Island (I live in Manhattan) and picked it up Friday night. Bob and I spent the eventing crusisng around the back roads of Long Islands North Shore. I was again was impressed by the way it drove. Bob is a long time car guy and is a BMW owner (X3). I let him drive and he was grinning ear to ear the whole time - said it was the fastest car he had ever driven. When he put the tranmission inot sport, downshifted with the paddles and the car "blipped" the accelerator he was totally blown away.

At about midnight I headed home to the city. When I came down the FDR drive I was shodked at how hard the car rode. Took it up to Connecticut yesterday and once again on the way home I took the FDR drive and got bounced around. I am definitely having second thoughts about the sport package. It seemed less bumpy last night so I am hoping I will get used to it. The main use of this car will be to go on trips outside the city, but I will still have to drive on NYC roads on the way in and out. This car is a daily diver (or move accurately a week end driver), it will not be used for the track or for autocrosses etc. I tend to drive fairly conservatively (not so conservatively that I did not install a Valenitne One the day I get the car). I get my Mario Andretti fantasies out on the race track (I have SCCA and Skip Barber competition licenses). I was not looking for a car that rode "like my father's Oldsmobile" but I am afraid that this car may shake itself to death on NYC roads.
So my advice is try it before you buy it - and try it in the real world environment that you will be using it in. Based on my Florida driving experience I would give a definite thumbs up to the sport package but now that the car is in New York I am not so sure.
On another note - this is the first Automatic I have owned in 30 years. I am very proficient with a manual and can double clutch and heel and toe downshift as well as anyone (the race car has straight cut gears and no synchros) Always shifted the Lexus that way (force of habit) even though it had syncrhos and it was not necessary to doulble cluch. I am not at all sorry aboout getting the steptronic. I still ocssaionally attempt to enage the (not-existant) cluth when I come to a stop - but I'm only ion my 3rd week with the 335I.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is worth it for the seats alone!

I second the post about the seats. When I planned my car on "paper" I was not going to get the sports package. I was intending to use the money to help purchase a set of 19" rims and performance tires (non-runflat).

But after a test "sit" in a dealer with and without the sports package, it was the seats that convinced me. After sitting in both, I decided to go with the sports package.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have some really really (really really really.....) bad roads. I've only had my car since late May, but no problems so far with the 18" rims. Also, before I had this car, I had a Infinity G35 coupe with sports package and 18" rims. I drove over 30K miles without any problems with those rims.

I only test drove cars with the sport package, so I can't give a "comparison", but I think this is a very comfortable car. I don't think the sport package is at all harsh.

·
15,956 Posts
Sounds like my car is identical to Sirrond's. From the picture it evan looks like we have the same rims. I hope he proves me wrong about having second thoughts about the sport package because I really like the car. I totally agree with him about the seats. Never been to SF but I am sure the roads ar no better than NYC. It is probably all in my perception. My Florida daily drive is an XKR which I do not consider harsh and last winter a rented (In Florida) a Hertz GTH for two weeks which I also did not consider harsh. Never drove either of them in NY. It is probably because I was used to criving a more softly sprung car (the Lexus SC300) on NYC roads. I'll post again in a few weeks and we will see how I feel about it then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With SP you also get to go over 150 mph on the autobahn :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
From my test drives in germany I fell in love with the zsp option. the seats and ride are a big improvement. I also live in the Bay Area but actually commute away to the central valley against traffic. So I'm looking forward to some long cruises with my ride when it arrives.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The sports package also up's your gov'd speed limit to 155mph, wouldn't recommend hitting it that high on your ED trip though since you'll still be breaking in the engine.

All in all, the seats are definitely worth as others have mentioned! I'd get it for just the seats!

·
Iwanna330Cic
926 Posts
You should drive a coupe or sedan with and without the sport package to see if you dislike the suspension change. Personally, I can't see owning a BMW without the sport package. It does ride a bit stiffer, but that's why a lot of us prefer German cars. I'm not sure about lowering, I don't believe adding sport lowers the vehicle. Regarding the wheels yes they are more suseptable to road damage, but they look soooo much better. Congratulations on the decision...you'll love the car!
Yup - I agree! :thumbup:

·
15,956 Posts
If you are in SouthWest Florida (Naples?) I would definitely recommend the sport package.
The hard(er) ride will not be a poblem and the car performs much more like a "sports" car (I guess that is why they call it the 'Sports Package").
The sport seats are definitely a bonus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts