BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with ACTUAL BMW Maintenance experience answer if it is crucial that you buy an exact replacement battery. For example, I have an 2007 335xi that badly needs a new battery, the current battery is a 12V 90 Ah 720 A 720 CCA 160 RC (pictured), do I have to get a battery with those exact specs? Auto Zone and O'Reilly's both say they have a battery for it. I don't care so much about the cost, I'm gonna have an Indy shop register the battery once I replace it. I just want someone who is smart on this matter to help me out. I don't want to sound rude but some of these threads are just full of BS, know what I mean? Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

· Banned
10,087 Posts
Can anyone with ACTUAL BMW Maintenance experience answer if it is crucial that you buy an exact replacement battery. For example, I have an 2007 335xi that badly needs a new battery, the current battery is a 12V 90 Ah 720 A 720 CCA 160 RC (pictured), do I have to get a battery with those exact specs? Auto Zone and O'Reilly's both say they have a battery for it. I don't care so much about the cost, I'm gonna have an Indy shop register the battery once I replace it. I just want someone who is smart on this matter to help me out. I don't want to sound rude but some of these threads are just full of BS, know what I mean? Thanks for the help guys!
Well, even if you install the BMW OEM duplicate, you should register the new unit as charging an old battery is a somewhat diff profile than new.

But if you install diff than OEM spec, which YES you can do, you should program the car for the new battery specs, then register. HERE is a reference - start with fdriller9's info in Post #12 and keep reading!

· Registered
743 Posts
For what your indy will charge you to register the battery you can do it yourself with a bluetooth scanner.

· Car guy since 1968
1,486 Posts
My new batt is rated at 72 amp hours....wondering if I should set it at 70ah or round it up to 80ah. I set it at 70 but I'm wondering....
I would set it accurately, at 72. German thinking is that you will do EVERYTHING correctly and accurately...and the car will charge it based on the parameters given.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Found an Indy shop close by, the guy ordered a battery from NAPA replaced it and registered it for $240. It took him about 30 minutes from start to finish! To me it was worth paying a guy to do it and not worry about screwing anything up! Also, the replacement battery was a 765 CCA which the mechanic told me was ok because the difference was so small. He said the programs have a large tolerance as far as CCA. the replacement battery I got was a Napa 7594R.

· Registered
3,626 Posts
UPDATE: Found an Indy shop close by, the guy ordered a battery from NAPA replaced it and registered it for $240. It took him about 30 minutes from start to finish! To me it was worth paying a guy to do it and not worry about screwing anything up! Also, the replacement battery was a 765 CCA which the mechanic told me was ok because the difference was so small. He said the programs have a large tolerance as far as CCA. the replacement battery I got was a Napa 7594R.
The Napa web site says the Napa 7594R is a lead-acid battery with
  • CCA = 730 (not 765 the mechanic said)
  • Reserve Capacity = 140

The current Napa sale price is $152 (not including $18 core charge), so if he registered it (since its specs are very close to your original battery, so no coding needed), $240 was a very fair price!

The comparable Exide Classic Grp 94R with 60 mo warranty is $169, and is rated CCA = 730, RC = 140..."six of one, half dozen of another", as they say

· Registered
774 Posts
Replaced the OEM battery on mine recently (after 5 years, 7 months, and 27 days) by my trusted mechanic.
He used an OEM replacement that looked like this.

Product Technology Electrical supply Vehicle Electrical wiring

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.