BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Watch out for some of those "spray on--hose off" products..they contain acids which will etch thru the clear coat of your rims, leaving blotchy marks after a spell...I went as far as contacting the manufacturer on two products (Meguiars and Griots wheel cleaners) only to find Meguiars answer "Yes, it has acids but they're very tame compared to what others on the market use..." (Ripsnort notes it and decides to use it only in extreme cases) and Griots rep said "No acids are used in the product whatsoever" (Ripsnort also notes that this is not quite a spray on and hose off, but does required some elbow work as well)

So in summary, it may be "too good to be true"..but I digress since I know nothing about Eagle products.

T

·
0 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Watch out for some of those "spray on--hose off" products..they contain acids which will etch thru the clear coat of your rims, leaving blotchy marks after a spell...I went as far as contacting the manufacturer on two products (Meguiars and Griots wheel cleaners) only to find Meguiars answer "Yes, it has acids but they're very tame compared to what others on the market use..." (Ripsnort notes it and decides to use it only in extreme cases) and Griots rep said "No acids are used in the product whatsoever" (Ripsnort also notes that this is not quite a spray on and hose off, but does required some elbow work as well)

So in summary, it may be "too good to be true"..but I digress since I know nothing about Eagle products.
I have used the Eagle A2Z and it is the strongest wheel cleaner I ever tried. But it contains the harshest acids as well, thus I only use it when I've been unable to wash my car for a few weeks and there's that caked on brake dust you get when you've driven in rain, etc for prolonged periods. It works great but will easy through anything. Hell, it burns your skin. And it will cause your brake calipers to look corroded.

T

·
0 Posts
atyclb said:
TD--I think you've somehow wandered into the wrong forum.

:D :D :D

I had something to contribute, so I did. ;P

Don't worry, I won't stay.

(Actually, I use "View New Posts" so I often don't even notice what forum I'm "in". )

Bye...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The newer form of a2z (in the orange bottle) claims to have no acids. it's supposed to be alkaline based. It gets my wheels pretty darn clean though.

Just thought I'd pass on the info.

T

·
0 Posts
webdanb said:
The newer form of a2z (in the orange bottle) claims to have no acids. it's supposed to be alkaline based. It gets my wheels pretty darn clean though.

I don't mean this as an authoritative response, but I doubt that their "new formula" is acid-free. I've used it and it cleans as well as the old. I just don't think you can do that without gobs of acid. Call me cynical...

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
TD said:

I don't mean this as an authoritative response, but I doubt that their "new formula" is acid-free. I've used it and it cleans as well as the old. I just don't think you can do that without gobs of acid.
You are most likely right on the button with that call. If there's no elbow grease involved something else has to be breaking down the dirt.

Call me cynical...
Come on Tom none of us would ever do that;)

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
TD said:

I don't mean this as an authoritative response, but I doubt that their "new formula" is acid-free. I've used it and it cleans as well as the old. I just don't think you can do that without gobs of acid. Call me cynical...

I have a saying I live by...kind of an oxymoron if you would:

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I shouldn't be..... :)

I agree with ya TD.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm pretty sure the container has to list any acids it has in the "ingredients". So check the container. I've been using turtle wax's acid free cleaner the past couple of weeks. Cheap as hell and works pretty good--you can find it at Autozone. It isn't a hose off--you'll need a small amount of elbow grease. However, it does really loosen things up. Haven't let the brake dust go more than a week though so I don't know how it would work between longer wash periods.

Eric

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
webdanb said:

So you can have harsh bases also. Would you use Draino on your wheels? No acid.

I was looking at BMW WHeel Cleaner while having the 1200 mile service done. It contains Potassium hydroxide as a major ingredient. NOT good for wheels.

I have had good luck with Mequiars Hot Rim cleaner. Very mild, but does the job.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Pinecone said:

I have had good luck with Mequiars Hot Rim cleaner. Very mild, but does the job.
I'm currently a satisfied Griots wheel cleaner (smells good!) user, but would welcome a cheaper alternative.

I used the old A2Z ages ago (99c) and that stuff is some strong acid. It would sting my hands. :thumbdwn:

Hot Rims is on sale at Autozone or someplace this week for $3.49 or something so I'm gonna give that a shot.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
What about Meguiar's

I thought I saw in the Meguiar's book a Gold Class version of Hot Rims. Has anyone tried it and what would be the improvement over plain Hot Rims?:dunno:

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
Re: What about Meguiar's

scottn2retro said:
I thought I saw in the Meguiar's book a Gold Class version of Hot Rims. Has anyone tried it and what would be the improvement over plain Hot Rims?:dunno:
From the Meguiar's site:

Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner is a powerful and highly effective formula that removes baked on brake dust and road grime without scrubbing. It's safe on all factory wheels and all coated wheels but is too aggressive for uncoated aluminum. This is the ideal formula for wheels with hard to reach crevices and grooves. Just spray it on and hose it off. Anti-static action ingredients also help repel future brake dust build up.

It sounds like it is a good bit more agressive than the Hot Rims wheel cleaner. I would say use Hot Rims normally, but have some Gold Class around for those times when the stuff is just to tough to get off with a mild cleaner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How Do You Know...?

How can you tell if you have coated or uncoated wheels?

I still have the stock 44s on my 325, but I have Boyd's on my truck. Is there a way to tell just by looking?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here is a quote from a Eagle One Rep regarding the new A2Z formula:

"Eo new A2Z
Yep, that would be our new formula. It's an Alkaline base. It actually works better than the old formula and is safer for wheel finishes. I have personally taken part of the testing with this product. Also, when reading what a product contains, keep in mind that most don't list full ingredients and they don't say how much of a product they contain. No matter how small the amount is, it must be printed though."

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I stopped using any kind of wheel cleaners at all on my rims because I never let them get too dirty in the first place. Also it's hard for me to believe that any wheel cleaner, no matter how pH-neutral it is, can be clear-coat safe.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Intermezzo said:

Personally, I stopped using any kind of wheel cleaners at all on my rims because I never let them get too dirty in the first place. Also it's hard for me to believe that any wheel cleaner, no matter how pH-neutral it is, can be clear-coat safe.
Griots claims their wheel cleaner is not only clear coat safe, but environmentally safe as well :dunno: It works nicely, but again, its not a spray on-hose off product..elbow work is mandantory.

Here's their add:

BBS manufactures the finest wheels for most of
the top automotive manufacturers in the world:
Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Toyota, Audi,
Volkswagen, Daimler Chrysler, Jaguar, Lotus,
Mazda, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Subaru, AMG,
Citroen, Opel, Pininfarina, Saab, Peugeot, and
Alpina. I am proud to say that BBS has approved
Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner for all their wheels.
Wheel cleaners that tout "spray on, hose off" are
too harsh and detrimental to your wheel's
protective coatings and paint. Most wheels have a
painted, aluminum base coat followed by two or
three layers of clear coat. These wheels should be
treated just like paint. The safest way to clean any
type of wheel finish is with our cleaner. Thank
you, BBS, for thoroughly testing our cleaner and
giving it your certificate of approval!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Perhaps I might change my mind about wheel cleaners after trying out Griot's :) How does the stuff smell? Does accidental inhalation of its overspray cause any lung discomfort?

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Intermezzo said:
Perhaps I might change my mind about wheel cleaners after trying out Griot's :) How does the stuff smell? Does accidental inhalation of its overspray cause any lung discomfort?
I believe its a licorice smell, anyway, you never have to worry about overspray onto your finish..spray it on, let it sit for 3-4 minutes (1 min. minimum recommended) and then wash your wheels as usual. It won't "instantly dissolve dirt before your eyes" but it does loosen up the caked on stuff making it easy to remove. Works pretty well on tar balls too. I buy it by the gallon now (Cheaper that way, I also buy Speed Shine Detail spray by the gallon) Who knows, maybe its "Simple Green" just re-bottled? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts