BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed on many occasions that when BMW introduces a new model platform (for example e46 to e90) BMW almost skimps on some aspects of the car. Like in the 2000 X5's there are no seatback storage pockets and this can also be seen in early e90's. I have also noticed BMW putting manual climate control in some early X3/X5's. Also it kinda sucks because I got an early 2006 production 530i and I got the new inline-six but I didn't get the chrome grills and the start/stop button. This isn't really a problem for me but I am curious and I personally would be mad if say I bought a new early production e90 and I didn't get seatback storage nets. My Mazda3 even has these. If anyone can give me some insite, I would appriciate it. Thanks.

-e60lover :thumbup:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
e60lover said:
This isn't really a problem for me but I am curious and I personally would be mad if say I bought a new early production e90 and I didn't get seatback storage nets.
Yes, my car handles SO much better because of those storage nets. Without them, SUV's would be outcornering me. You really should envy those minivan drivers because they have a lot more cupholders than you, not to mention power sliding doors and liftgates.

·
Z4 M Coupe
157 Posts
cwsqbm said:
Yes, my car handles SO much better because of those storage nets. Without them, SUV's would be outcornering me. You really should envy those minivan drivers because they have a lot more cupholders than you, not to mention power sliding doors and liftgates.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
e60lover said:
I have also noticed BMW putting manual climate control in some early X3/X5's. Also it kinda sucks because I got an early 2006 production 530i and I got the new inline-six but I didn't get the chrome grills and the start/stop button. This isn't really a problem for me but I am curious and I personally would be mad if say I bought a new early production e90 and I didn't get seatback storage nets. My Mazda3 even has these. If anyone can give me some insite, I would appriciate it. Thanks.

-e60lover :thumbup:
It's not really skimping.......they're all listed as standard or optional features. For example, I dont believe automatic climate control became standard on the X5 3.0i until 2005. My friend's 2004 X5 3.0i lacks premium package and thus has the manual controls (and black plastic interior trim, yuck). The X3 2.5i (04-05) had auto climate part of premium package; manual controls were standard. Actually the X3 2.5i had very few standard features, like optional: steering wheel buttons, cruise control, foglights, auto headlight, rain sensor (Mazda3 has this available!), moonroof, center armrest....the list goes on.

BMW usually puts in more standard equipment with each year's price increase to prevent customers from thinking "BMW jacked up the price with no increase in content". Of course, the '07 328i sedan $1500 incease added nothing but sat. prep.....:mad:

And by the way, I don't like the new start/stop button. It's not that BMW skimped on the '04-'05 5-series, but it occured with the change from the M54 to N52 engines.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
And by the way, I don't like the new start/stop button. It's not that BMW skimped on the '04-'05 5-series, but it occured with the change from the M54 to N52 engines.
Actually, didn't the start/stop button change happen when Comfort Access became an option?

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
There are going to be updates. The missing nets in the early E90's was a mistake. Features are continuously being added to cars. You can't be one of those people that never buys a computer because something faster is (always) right around the corner.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Upgrades, features, options, etc. are all added to the platform over time as it progresses. The e46 is a perfect example of this. The changes, additional included options, new packages and a facelift had made the e46 of 2005 a much improved and full-featured car than the ones of the early 2000's. The same will go for the e90 as things like new colors, new packages (i.e. a ZHP-like package, etc.) are added to refresh and differentiate the car. It is well known that the first version of any new car will not be the best.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
maybe the original poster's point was that BMW is intentionally leaving certain things out the first year so they can add them in later years and charge more money for them.

the seatback pockets example is interesting because obviously such a change isn't due to "new technology", a new engine or something else.

a more interesting question: take the X3 for example, I believe the 2006 does *not* come with DTC, however, the 2007 *does*. Now we know DTC has been a "standard" part of the DSC package for a long time now, found in many other BMW models. One could argue that DTC was added due to the new engine, but this can't be true because DTC was present in 330's that had the same 3 liter engine in the 2006 X3.

So why was DTC not included prior to 2007? It seems to me a concious decision was made to remove it (because it is almost always found in DSC), and then add it back in for 2007 like it is "new content". Does BMW intentionally remove (or neglect to add) features that are not expensive in order to charge more later? For example, if a 2004 model does not have a tilt down passenger mirror, is the pre-wiring there? Obviously a computer programmer left "space" to add such programming instructions in the BUS.

I am pretty confident BMW knows exactly which options it will add every year, and probably intentionally withholds some options that don't cost a lot to add and aren't "new" technology in order to easily "freshen" their cars. In fact, most car companies do this.

But like others have noted, if you perpetually wait for next year's model, you'll be a rat on a wheel.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
It's entirely possible that you guys are right, but it sounds like paranoia to me. There comes a time in the development of any product where you have to say, "Enough improvements, let's build the damn thing." I think a company wants to put in as many features as people are willing to pay for, but if you put it in before the process can do it well, you're going to have an inferior product and lots of unhappy customers. Sometimes BMW is too eager and jumps the gun, but generally they try to get it right before they add a feature. Personally I love auto climate control and places to stow things, but if I buy the car without them it's my fault, not the manufacturer's. We're not talking about something hidden deep in the bowels of the car where I can't see it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I was saying is that I kinda like the extra storage but I just think it is wierd how BMW adds in these obvious little features later and not in the early stage of a product. I am sorry if I caused any offence but I just noticed it while looking at used BMW's for example early e90's and X5's. I don't really care but I was just curious. :dunno: Just do a autos.yahoo.com used car search for a 2006 e90 or a 2000 X5.

-e60lover

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Well, if it matters, at least the early X5s had the steptronic shifting directions set up differently, which might appeal to some. And they were apparently built in Germany as opposed to Spartainburg, SC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.