BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
161 - 180 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
HD Stealth Antenna on its way back

Hi Tom. I will be shipping the HD stealth antenna first thing tomorrow morning back to you. Kindly send the replacement ASAP. Thanks!

Sorry it took a while. I had a difficult time finding the receipt and the install manual.

Again, many thanks.

Dan

·
european auto source
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tom, I just recieved my stealth antenna compatible with my 97' e39 and have a few questions.
1) The instructions (and others in this thread) talk about a connection with a red dot and another with a green dot. I do not see either of these with a labeled dot and am unsure of which goes where.
2) I do not have navigation and have mounted my HD Dice in the trunk, not behind the glovebox. With my antenna connection behind the dash, how would you suggest wiring the stealth antenna?
For what it's worth, I currently have the normal HD antenna mounted on the front windshield glass, I did this by splicing into the wire and simply extending it (made sure to isolate the different ones). Would it be possible for me to do the same with the Stealth antenna by running it in series with the normal HD antennaby using the small connectors supplied? Of course the factory antenna would be connected as well.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
HD stealth antenna received

Hi Tom.

Just want to let you know I received the new stealth antenna compatible with my 2001 E39 M5 with the old style antenna connector. Thanks for the prompt shipping.

I will hook it up tomorrow and post updates and feedback here.

As always, thanks for the great customer service.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update

I hooked up the Stealth Antenna today. Connection is now perfect for my 2001 BMW E39 M5 (old style antenna connectors.)

Stealth antenna works like a charm. I now get the HD stations without any problem.

Thanks again Tom for the excellent service and great products!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I hooked up the Stealth Antenna today. Connection is now perfect for my 2001 BMW E39 M5 (old style antenna connectors.)

Stealth antenna works like a charm. I now get the HD stations without any problem.

Thanks again Tom for the excellent service and great products!
Did you hook your stealth antenna in line with the original HD DICE antenna? If so, how did you know which side to connect the small antenna line too?

·
european auto source
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Tom, I just recieved my stealth antenna compatible with my 97' e39 and have a few questions.
1) The instructions (and others in this thread) talk about a connection with a red dot and another with a green dot. I do not see either of these with a labeled dot and am unsure of which goes where.
Since you have the early antrenna design - there are no dots (which are on opposite sides of the module) since the connections can only go one way. Essentially, there is no wrong way this module can be installed.

2) I do not have navigation and have mounted my HD Dice in the trunk, not behind the glovebox. With my antenna connection behind the dash, how would you suggest wiring the stealth antenna?[/QUOTE]

The radio antenna wire will go into the Stealth Antenna module, then fro mthe module into the radio. The opposite side will have the connectors for the DICE module.

For what it's worth, I currently have the normal HD antenna mounted on the front windshield glass, I did this by splicing into the wire and simply extending it (made sure to isolate the different ones). Would it be possible for me to do the same with the Stealth antenna by running it in series with the normal HD antennaby using the small connectors supplied? Of course the factory antenna would be connected as well.

Thanks again!
We simply toss the HD DICE antenna, the module is perfectly fine for reception.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As Tom explained, there is no way to mix up the connection.

Remove the big BMW antenna connector from the radio. Plug that in to the Stealth Antenna. The other big connector sticking out of the Stealth antenna now plugs in to the BMW radio. That's it.

If you want to still use the HD DICE antenna, you can plug it in to the one of the small connectors on the Stealth Antenna.

Hope that makes sense.

Dan

Did you hook your stealth antenna in line with the original HD DICE antenna? If so, how did you know which side to connect the small antenna line too?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just an update regarding the whine and clicking I mentioned back on the last page:

I tore apart my trunk yesterday to do some rewiring and discovered that the audio cable was loose. I unplugged and replugged both the audio and power+ibus cables and almost all the whine went away. I still have a little on the aux in when my Sirius receiver is attached, but I think that's coming from the Sirius unit itself. All problems are gone on the iPod side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you use an HD DICE or Silverline, can you choose to control your iPod directly on the iPod and not go through the radio controls/steering wheel if you choose not to?

For those who have bought HD DICE, obviously you thought having HD radio capabilities outweighed having the added benefits of Silverline. Can you confirm? I'm trying to decide between the two. Hopefully Tom will tell me that an HD Silverline is coming out soon and I won't have to decide???:D

·
european auto source
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
If you use an HD DICE or Silverline, can you choose to control your iPod directly on the iPod and not go through the radio controls/steering wheel if you choose not to?
Depends on the iPod model. The touch, new Classic and 3rd Generation nano lock the iPod's Clickwheel when attached to 3rd party devices, this is an iPod-specific issue - not the DICE. Earlier iPods do not experience this issue on the HD DICE.

For those who have bought HD DICE, obviously you thought having HD radio capabilities outweighed having the added benefits of Silverline. Can you confirm? I'm trying to decide between the two. Hopefully Tom will tell me that an HD Silverline is coming out soon and I won't have to decide???:D
No ETA on when or if a HD SILVERLINE will be available. It's something that is currently being looked into to see if it can be upgraded with the existing hardware.

·
european auto source
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Hello All,

I purchased a Dice Silverline kit for my 32 GB iTouch and '05 X3. Everything went VERY easy with the install and couldn't be happier. Now my questions/issues here could be because of my ignorance or just plain not reading something but here I go.

I am starting to listen to a lot of classical, I can REALLY hear a distracting crackling noise anyone else have this? Sounds almost like the iPod's hard drive accessing... I mean I have the cable coiled up underneath my center console, it's not like it is running through the whole car around other wires.
Where is the DICE module located in your X3?

Secondly, when making EQ adjustments the screen keeps kicking over to the current song playing. It seems as though this happens when it starts scrolling the Artist/Song, gets pretty annoying when you try to adjust the Bass or Treble and it keeps bumping you out. Also, does this when accessing my Address book of my phone via Bluetooth.
Due to the nature of how the DICE displays text, text display must be turned off if EQ settings are to be changed. You can turn it back on when your settings are completed.

Thirdly, is there anyway to start the iPod playing without starting your playlist on the iPod itself and replugging it in? It works fine as long as you never unplug or use your iPod elsewhere.

Any help or suggestions to these issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
The iPod will pick up where it left off if left connected, provided the iPod does not go into hibernation mode. If it is, I would recommend the use of calender reminders to prevent the iPod from doing so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Dice unit is located under the center console and my Ipod is located in the center console...not far at all.

Also I get the humming when the Ipod isn't plugged in but I am selected on the CD Changer output.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
european auto source
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
The Dice unit is located under the center console and my Ipod is located in the center console...not far at all.

Also I get the humming when the Ipod isn't plugged in but I am selected on the CD Changer output.

Thanks for the help so far.
The DICE without an iPod connected acts as a giant antenna at high volumes - some noise will be picked up. With an iPod connected, you should not hear any noise.

Do you hear a difference with the iPod's backlight turned on/off?

161 - 180 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.