Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First post. New owner. 06 M6. Curious on a easy way to gain more power without breaking the bank. Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
In short: there ain't such way.
And why you're having lack of power in the first place? M6 is fast "out of the box", I drove mine with factory ECU settings the previous season and I was absolutely satisfied with that, although the car has had flashed ECU when I first bought it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. First post. New owner. 06 M6. Curious on a easy way to gain more power without breaking the bank. Thanks
I have a '10 E63 coupe so I'd like to chime in. Yes, the M6 is a beast out of the box, and yes there are a few easy, no-brainer mods you can do to make it increase throttle response, better airflow, improve gas mileage, and yes add more horsepower albeit a miniscule amount:

1. Delete your carbon filters if you haven't already done so. These are the 2 notorious air-restricting monstrosities located directly beneath your stock air filters. They are completely useless, unnecessary and are only found on US spec'd cars, Euro spec BMW's do not have them as they're not required there by law. They're supposed to reduce carbon emissions but what they really do is kill performance by choking the airflow going into your engine. Remove and trash them, it's a 20 minute job. Diy cost: $0.00

2. Ditch your stock air filters and replace with BMC or K&N performance air filters. I've used both and found the BMC's seem to work better. Either of these two filters are significantly better than the stock filters which are air flow restrictive. The BMC's are more but still relatively cheap. Cost: $115 (Ebay) for pair of BMC's, $80-90 for pair of K&N (K&N site or any auto parts online).

3. Install RPI scoops. These are simply designed yet very effective ram air induction scoops made by RPI. They fit behind your two kidney grills and divert cold air directly into the air intakes. I would also recommend buying the optional block-off plates for an extra $10-20 which seals off the gap in your air boxes. Cost: $210.00 for pair (Bimmerzone), Diy install $0.00. (You can also purchase directly from RPI's website but they charge shipping, Bimmerzone was free shipping).

The RPI scoops along with BMC air filters have been dyno proven to increase power by 15-17 hp alone. RPI posted on this topic extensively on the M5 board and somewhere along the thread were dyno charts to prove it. I haven't seen or done a dyno test before/after removing the carbon filters but it sure feels at least 10-15hp faster once those were removed. Combined, you're within your goal of not breaking the bank by spending only about $300 to see roughly a 20-30 hp gain. Yes it's not much, but you get what you pay for. For me, it was well worth the money spent.

I also upgraded my exhaust (mufflers only), to Eisenmann ovals. This was a more expensive mod ($1850 shipped + 140 to install, but got back $400 for my stock mufflers when I sold them). The Eisenmann mufflers improve airflow over the restrictive stock mufflers. It sure felt like another 5-10 hp boost but that could just be a placebo effect. It does sound pretty mean when the Eisenman growls! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Raven M6. Great detailed information. Definitely will have to try. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Bimmerfest mobile app
No prob, glad to give some input. These V10 engines are the last of their kind, BMW will never make another one like it. Keep in mind that being a N/A V10, they are always thirsty for clean cold air. That's why even the most basic modifications which help the V10 guzzle more air will also help it perform better.

There are fewer and fewer of these iconic beasts on the roads today. I live in a major metropolitan city and in the 14 months since buying an M6, I've seen several E63/64 6 series but only 2 other E63/64 M6's on the road. I hope all the current E63/64 M6 owners take pride in their rarity and keep them running as long as possible!

·
Registered
70 Posts
07 m6 smg 63k miles here. Raven M6 just lit a fire in my a**. Got my project for the week! I've been holding off mods on my bone stock m6 bc I'm preparing on a new clutch assembly and potentially a new smg pump but these mods are way too easy not to try and do. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
277 Posts
Guys, I hate to be a bummer but all these cool affordable mods listed by Raven won't make M6 go significantly faster without ECU remapping. The reason is that the factory settings won't allow the engine consume more air and fuel mixture than it needs to show its stock 507 hp. You still might get a little improvement in acceleration but that's mainly because you'll replace old worn parts with new ones, like clogged OEM air filters with new K&N. But if you're up to smth really hardcore -- do what Raven had suggested, and then have your ECU flashed, you'll feel the difference. ;) Although I can't promise that this will be cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys looked at removing the carbon filter on my M6. I'm no mechanic by any stretch but it appears to be connected to the outer shell. Any suggestions

They're not connected, they will usually rip when you yank them out. Don't be shy to use some force as you won't ever need them again. Just be careful not let any debris drop into the box once they come out as that will blow straight into your intake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys, I hate to be a bummer but all these cool affordable mods listed by Raven won't make M6 go significantly faster without ECU remapping. The reason is that the factory settings won't allow the engine consume more air and fuel mixture than it needs to show its stock 507 hp. You still might get a little improvement in acceleration but that's mainly because you'll replace old worn parts with new ones, like clogged OEM air filters with new K&N. But if you're up to smth really hardcore -- do what Raven had suggested, and then have your ECU flashed, you'll feel the difference. ;) Although I can't promise that this will be cheap.
I'm not sure about this, as RPI did not mentioned any tuning, remapping or ECU flashing after installing the scoops. There was a dyno before and after which showed a 15-17hp gain. I've done this mod and I can tell you there is without doubt a "feeling" of increase in power. I only say feeling because I don't have a dyno to prove it. Also, I was never implying there would be a significant increase in power. At best you'll upgrade to a 20-30 hp gain. That's a 4-6% increase which is not significant relative to the base 500hp, but is certainly noticeable.

There are some other cheap cosmetic upgrades I can recommend, but those are personal taste and may not be to everyone's liking. These basic performance mods I recommended here were covered thoroughly in several M5 Board threads, the general consensus was that they are the best no-brainer bang for the buck performance mods, especially the carbon filter delete which is literally a free mod. Many over there felt these were must-do mods. In the grand scheme of things, $300-350 isn't going to make or break anyone's bank when comparing other parts or regular maintenance on these beasts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's my plan. I lucked into a limited edition. 52K miles. Thanks again

Nice...when you say limited edition are you referring to the Competition Edition? I believe they made them in '08 and '10. There was a '10 for sale in Canada a few weeks ago with something like 200 miles on it. They only made 10 for the North American market in '10.

I got my base edition '10 (black/black) with 26k on it, has slightly over 30k on it now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm not sure about this, as RPI did not mentioned any tuning, remapping or ECU flashing after installing the scoops. There was a dyno before and after which showed a 15-17hp gain. I've done this mod and I can tell you there is without doubt a "feeling" of increase in power. I only say feeling because I don't have a dyno to prove it. Also, I was never implying there would be a significant increase in power. At best you'll upgrade to a 20-30 hp gain. That's a 4-6% increase which is not significant relative to the base 500hp, but is certainly noticeable.

There are some other cheap cosmetic upgrades I can recommend, but those are personal taste and may not be to everyone's liking. These basic performance mods I recommended here were covered thoroughly in several M5 Board threads, the general consensus was that they are the best no-brainer bang for the buck performance mods, especially the carbon filter delete which is literally a free mod. Many over there felt these were must-do mods. In the grand scheme of things, $300-350 isn't going to make or break anyone's bank when comparing other parts or regular maintenance on these beasts.
RPI don't need to mention fiddling with ECU simply because their goal is to sell the scoops. ;)
I would agree though that all these inexpensive mods can get you extra 20-25 hp -- even the factory ECU settings can adjust fuel mixture to increased air flow. But I don't think anyone can really feel this subtle difference, I'd say it's more of psychological thing -- like when I sincerely believe that my Bimmer goes faster after I had it washed. :D
My point is that if anybody's into modding their M6, they should go the whole way and flash the ECU -- then there's a huge difference, it's like driving in regular mode and then pressing the M button. ;) Or else -- don't do nothing, these cars are already freaking fast, save $300, or buy 10 bottles of Wild Turkey and celebrate purchase of M6. :banana:

And what's that Competition Edition, I've never heard of it -- is it just about different color and body kit, or they've done something to the engine too?

·
Registered
18 Posts
And what's that Competition Edition, I've never heard of it -- is it just about different color and body kit, or they've done something to the engine too?
Not much as far as performance upgrades except some fine tuning to the suspension. Engine remained same. A more aggressive style hood, competition edition mats, door sill badges, and numbered badge. 100 Euro models produced for 2010, these were metallic gray with optional 2-tone white/black or black interiors. Only 10 cars produced for the North American market, these were black sapphire with red seats / black trim interiors.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1034956_bmw-unveils-limited-edition-m6-competition#image=100227967

·
Registered
15 Posts
Neiman Marcus limited edition was also offered back in 2007 (50 cars sold on 12/18/2006 over the phone in 93 seconds).

I had an oil change yesterday. My mechanic also changed out both air filters. At the same time, I had him removed the charcoal filters as well. He didn't want to at first. I logged in Bimmerfest and Show him what's everyone doing/recommending..... he pulled them out easily.
We both agreed that the engine runs a little louder at throttle, smooth at idling. I drove home with a big smile even though I didn't feel any noticible differences except for lighter gas pedal feel IMO. I don't have to press hard to wake her up like before. It's in my head lol. I think the M6 breaths better that's ALL.

I use OEM paper air filters

·
Registered
18 Posts
^^ V808,
If you think it breaths better now with just removing the carbon filters, change those oem filters to K&N or BMC and do the RPI scoops mod :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just posted this to the m5 forum, but wanted to see if i could get some answers here too. Rather than retyping it, i am just going to hyper link it, hope that works.
Basically I am trying the blockoff plate/carbon delete/and rpi scoop mod when I get them, yet I'm running into some issues. Thanks.
TcFII

Original post with some questions.

https://www.m5board.com/threads/rpi-block-off-intake-plates-final-verdict.125406/post-7604451

Follow up post with my issues.

https://www.m5board.com/threads/rpi-block-off-intake-plates-final-verdict.125406/post-7604455

·
Registered
6 Posts
Problem solved, accidentally disconnected an injector switch when I pulled out the drivers side airbox.
-TcFII

1 - 20 of 22 Posts