BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just recently bought a E92 and I wanted to install a amp and sub but don't want to bring it to some place that will just start tearing things apart. I do have some experience would would like to try and do it myself, so does anyway have a step by step guide?

Also would it be easier to get earthquakes and install them under the seats ( I don't have the logic 7 system but there still is the enclosures for them underneath) as opposed to the trunk. How do they sound compared to a JL which is what I was going to install?

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
It takes approximately 5 years and 1.5 billion USD for us to install a sub. Ah a sub-woofer! You had me going there for a second.

Sorry, had to make that joke. Welcome to the Fest. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Leftover Hippie
465 Posts
+1 on the BSW storage bin sub for 328s. I put one in my 328XiT and the resulting sound is delightful. The instructions make this an easy DIY job and the end result is completely stealth. Since mine is a wagon anything left out in the open in back would be easily visible.

·
wooohooo
2,909 Posts
Hey guys I just recently bought a E92 and I wanted to install a amp and sub but don't want to bring it to some place that will just start tearing things apart. I do have some experience would would like to try and do it myself, so does anyway have a step by step guide?

Also would it be easier to get earthquakes and install them under the seats ( I don't have the logic 7 system but there still is the enclosures for them underneath) as opposed to the trunk. How do they sound compared to a JL which is what I was going to install?
I don't know anything about car audio, but I don't see how you can fit a subwoofer under an E92 seat. That's too bad, because it would be a better spot than the trunk. I would guess a very steep crossover would be desired in a car (again, no experience) and this normally means the active route (passive xover parts would get too expensive as a dumb guess)?

JL is much more desirable than Earthquake and the pricing reflects that. Their designs mean that you can put them in smaller enclosures granted that you will give them oodles of power with a lot of EQ to deal with any specific box. (High excursion capability or Xmax with overbuilt motor.) But as important as the driver might be, it is always about the overall design. A great design with an ok driver will beat a poor design with a great driver.

If you are thinking of building your own box, look at WinISD and Bass Box Pro for software. The alignment (box design) can drastically alter the size, power requirements, and necessary eq. Some drivers may only be suited for particular alignments.

The best sub drivers available to consumers are probably made by TC Sounds, namely the LMS Ultra 5400 at about $900 for a single 18". I'm not sure how often they've ever been used in a car.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
JL Audio makes car specific systems like the one that I installed in my Tahoe. Do they make one for the 3 Series?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.